Help me - Building a New Studio - Advice for Sound Isolation

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
How do you propose to reconcile a "room within a room" with this roof? In other words, how are you going to build a ceiling that is decoupled from a trussed roof? Just curious.
fitZ

I was planning on stick building the roof trusses on the inner room, keeping it also 5" from the exterior ceiling (totally not tied in). So I basically have 2 complete seperate buildings. Or is this a no-no??

As for the 5" gap, I was under the impression that the bigger the gap, the better the osolation. So, I was going for the approach of 31/2" stud walls,,,,5" gap,,,then the interior 3/12" walls this giving me a total "Air Space" of about 12">?>?

I will also do the quick mudding of the drywall sheets before layering.

I'll do a search for the Kinetics Noise Controls site you mentioned and check it out. (is there a link to this info you could post??) ;)

As far as floating floors, I am not quite sure what that all involves. All I know is I did actually have a Commercial Studio Engineer (by trade) who also does Studio building consulting stop by about a month ago,,looked over the site and said "For what your doing, you dont need to spend the money for things like a floating floor,,,or isolated floors for the control room, etc etc,,your not building a world class studio, your building a home project studio". So I didnt research that any further and just took his advice. (But I figured the Isolated floors would be an easy thing to just do anyway,,,,But again, I am not sure what floating floors all involves) :confused:

Is there a diagram on here (and I'll search n the meantime) of what all building a floating floor involves, and is it an expensive thing to do??

Also, I did see about isolated foundations (exterior wall foundations from the tracking room floor, and seperate isolated floor for the control room etc. My question is, when you isolate these areas into seperate areas/floors, what do you put in the concrete to seperate the areas into their own voids, and then do you take out these "seperators" out so there is just air space left? I had a concrete person here this weekend and he said "you have to connect them because you need the floor to be weight bearing on the footers which are under the walls" I was thinking he didnt get what I was saying because I assume in order to build these isolated floors, you have to build seperate footers for under each of them>?>?> yes>?>? no>?>? :confused: I was initially planning to do a monopour of concrete for the footers (on the perimeter) and the floors at the same time>?>?

Man you guys are probably shakin your head :o ,,,,but I am VERY new to thing building thing. I do have contractors who will help me build it, but I need to know the specifics for building it as "a Studio" because they have no idea either. I talked the the rep at Home Depot for pricing and buying the materials, and they said "Wow what a strange construction project a Studio seems to be!" lol (but they are giving me 5 or 10% off materials for the project which is cool I guess.) :D Every penny helps.

Anyway,,,again as always,,,thanks for your help,,,and now I have to figure out what INNOVATIONS meant by "inside out construction on the inner walls" I think I know...just making sure. ;) Is the benefit for that the extra floor space??

Thanks again and peace
Aj :cool:

Back