Les Paul Refinish

Status
Not open for further replies.
arthursilvia said:
I am refinishing my Gold Top Les Paul 12 string. I am going for a transparent Amber color. I will post photos as I go along.
KewL Man! Are you going to do a sweet relic job on it too?:eatpopcorn:

You have no idea what I am doing right now, I think you will have to eat your words in a bit.

Hold up, you do what you want, it's your guitar. I hope it looks great. I will never be on board with stripping a Gold Top for any other finish though. IMO the Gold top is the ultimate Les Paul finish. There is no better.

Hold up, you do what you want, it's your guitar. I hope it looks great. I will never be on board with stripping a Gold Top for any other finish though. IMO the Gold top is the ultimate Les Paul finish. There is no better.

Have you ever tried to do a touch up on one?

IMO the Gold top is the ultimate Les Paul finish.
I've always had a weakness for Goldtops as well but I also like a nice sunburst (not too much flame in the wood) and black and white as well. I have a Goldie and a "clownburst" and my bare wood top Ronno. I've had black (twice) but never white. Need to get an Alpine White Custom.

I've always had a weakness for Goldtops as well but I also like a nice sunburst (not too much flame in the wood) and black and white as well. I have a Goldie and a "clownburst" and my bare wood top Ronno. I've had black (twice) but never white. Need to get an Alpine White Custom.

I know people go nuts for wood grain and flame and all that, but not me. I like the solid finishes. I do like the bursts as well, as long as there's little to no grain in the wood. Plain top cherrybursts and old tobacco bursts look great to me. I don't wanna see all that wood. That's just me. I know the guitar is wood. I don't need it to be proven to me.

You have no idea what I am doing right now, I think you will have to eat your words in a bit.

I have every idea what you are doing. I hope it works out for you. I'm here if it doesn't..

I'm with gerg really in that I can't see the benefit in stripping and refinishing a guitar of that type. You will only ever drop the value.

Agreed. Too much flame turns me off. A little grain is okay but plaintops are fine by me.

See I am the other way. I'd rather see wood than flake or colour.. Different strokes and all that.... A good solid colour is just as hard to do as a decent clear or stained/tinted finish though so I like the skill in both when done well.

I have every idea what you are doing. I hope it works out for you. I'm here if it doesn't..

I'm with gerg really in that I can't see the benefit in stripping and refinishing a guitar of that type. You will only ever drop the value.

Your "every idea" obviously are assumptions. Apparently you will "be here" regardless.
There is a huge benefit in this project, actually value is increasing as I have people interested in it.

Agreed. Too much flame turns me off. A little grain is okay but plaintops are fine by me.

I don't like a lot of figure in the wood also, especially the stripes that are too perfect and symmetrical. I have a LP Standard with a very erratic book matched striped cherry top. At first I criticized it for being so messy but actually that is what gives it its charm.

Nice random grain. I have sanded carefully with 3M Fre-Cut 220 and made sure all traces of gold no matter how small are gone.

Attachments

• Les Paul Final Sanding.jpg
    Les Paul Final Sanding.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 79
I like the grain on that. Not too much for a Lester.

I should have been more specific. I do like a nice flamey top just not on Les Pauls. Makes 'em look too tarted up IMO. I have a G&L ASAT with a gorgeous flamey top in cherry sunburst. Looks good on that guitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back