Led Zeppelin now in court over Stairway

Actually just realized that Clapton's "Let it Grow" is also almost the exact same chord sequence.

I'd not heard Let It Grow before. But you're right. It does sound very similar, its shite though.

I need some PJ Harvey to clean my brain out.... there I can no longer remember how it goes.

Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' trial: Band wins verdict | EW.com

Led Zeppelin
Posted June 23 2016 — 1:24 PM EDT

The song remains the same: Led Zeppelin are in the clear after a federal jury decided the band did not plagiarize their signature track, “Stairway to Heaven.”

The English rockers were accused of infringing on the copyright of the instrumental track “Taurus” by the American band Spirit. Michael Skidmore, a trustee of the estate of Spirit guitarist Randy Wolfe, accused Zeppelin of lifting “Stairway’s” acoustic guitar-laden introduction from “Taurus” and sought upwards of $40 million in damages, as well as a songwriting credit for Wolfe.

But the eight-person jury announced Thursday that even though Plant had access to “Taurus” and that Skidmore and Spirit’s estate had copyright to “Taurus,” the original elements of Spirit’s song are not extrinsically similar to “Stairway to Heaven.”

the original elements of Spirit’s song are not extrinsically similar to “Stairway to Heaven.”

See...the jury listened to the two songs and said..."Jeeez...it's just 3 chords! The rest of it has no similarity." :D

I read something last night quoting testimony from Plant and Page. Plant was all like, "I was in a car accident and don't remember anyone I met in the 60's". Page when asked about the Spirit album being in his collection was all, "well how did that get there? I've never listened to it. Other Spirit albums that were in my collection, yes, but never that one" Pretty funny(phony), doesn't seem they were sweating it too badly. I almost wish they'd lost, especially if that Randy Cali dude was stilling kicking.

Another song what's similar, "Moon Child", King Crimson. Late 60's, or 1970ish.

I don't know why anyone's talking to Plant anyway, it's the guitar riff that all the angst was about, Page's territory.

I don't know why anyone's talking to Plant anyway, it's the guitar riff that all the angst was about, Page's territory.

...and it seems the plaintiff's lawyer really botched this thing. If what I've been reading is accurate, that lawyer was so bad I'd probably side with Zep too without even hearing the music.

Money buys a good lawyer, a good lawyer gets you the results you want.

:D ;)

...and it seems the plaintiff's lawyer really botched this thing. If what I've been reading is accurate, that lawyer was so bad I'd probably side with Zep too without even hearing the music.

Yeah...for sure...the plaintiff's lawyer came across as totally inept, from what I read.

Money buys a good lawyer, a good lawyer gets you the results you want.
it seems like getting a good lawyer shouldn't have been that hard given the possible payoff and the similarity of the intros.

Chim Chimeney Chim Chimeney Chim Chim Cheri
just because a song sounds similar doesn't makes it plagiary
Chim Chimeney Chim Chimeney Chim Chim Cheroo
Spirit stole the riff from Mary Poppins so Spirit gets poo :laughings::thumbs up:

Chicken shit greedy mutha fo's

I find it funny that shit like this is only ever about chordal/melody issues........we never see drummers claiming that Joe Blogs copied my sequence of tom hits therefore I'll sue him over copyright.

I can only conclude that drummers must be wimps.

:D

I find it funny that shit like this is only ever about chordal/melody issues........we never see drummers claiming that Joe Blogs copied my sequence of tom hits therefore I'll sue him over copyright.

I can only conclude that drummers must be wimps.

:D

Lol. You know there's no way in hell a drummer is wimpier than a guitar player.

Back