KRK RP5 with RP10s vs RP8 with RP10s?

TheCrazyPostman

What up guys. Need a bit of help here. Since the RP10s is the sub and providing bass could I go with the some RP5's and have pretty much the same sound as if I had the RP8's??

Confused with this. Any help appreciated!!

Thanks!!

I'm sure you'd be ok. The 5's aren't going to reach as low, but I'm sure you could get fine results with both setups.

If I had to do over I'd prob stick with the 5's and sub vrs the 8's as they are HUGH and take up much more space.

I have Event PS6's with the KRK RP10 sub and it sounds great, if I had to do it again I would not change, the sub is great!

personally, i would rather have the big monitors and no sub.

the only potentially major drawbacks i can think of for what you propose are:

-placement. a lot harder to get placement right with a sub-sat system than with a stereo set, especially if your space doesnt cooperate (both aesthetically and acoustically).

-adjustment. without an SPL meter and some calibrating, you are just pissing in the wind for setup. "sounds good" is many times not the same thing as "as flat as possible".

i fought with a sub for a long time, and ended up ditching it. though the pleasure of that big bass isnt there for monitoring anymore, i did find that my mixes were often more easily translated to a typical listening environment (notably those without subs, like a factory car system), especially as i learned what my monitors low frequency cutoff sounded like, and what info below this point sounded like without the sub.

that said, the KRK stuff is nice. i was within moments of purchasing some V8's a few years ago, but couldnt substantiate the cabbage without using credit. they sure did sound nice, though.
a

Back