kind of a bit hawaiian, maybe...

i like it, it makes me feel good:) i also like the style(s), instruments & effects used. & its different than what i normally hear. good luck:D

Definitely different - but I really like the overall sound and effects being used. Esp. like the way that it starts out a bit garbled and old-sounding, and then clears up after the first little transition.

Nice work.

I liked it - cool vocals and nice backup vocals.

I didn't hear Hawaiian so much (and that's where I live) as I did Ricky Nelson's Travelin' Man. but then he talks about Waikiki in that song so maybe that's the connection.

Really cool. Good song and good recording - especially like the backing harmonies. How did you do the drums and percussion? That's a great beat for the song.

I kind of wish the vocals were a little less "up front" after the old-time radio effect goes away. Maybe a touch more reverb, or a slap-back delay would fix that. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.

www.myspace.com/michaelwookey and the song is called Just To Find You

What do you all think?

Michael.

I think it's more Dion and the Belmonts than Don Ho, but it sure is fun. Hawaiian music has some specific limits and structures that keep it authentic, and your tune is too complex harmonically. This is not a bad thing at all. If you're interested in learning more about Hawaiian music, and specifically slack-key guitar (played in open G tuning), I suggest you look up my friend Patrick Landeza. Listen to his stuff, you'll see what I mean.

That said, I really enjoyed your tune, it's warm, lilty and inviting. Shame on you for mushing it through that awful 96kb encoder on MySpace, you should have it on Reverbnation or someplace that lets you have any bitrate you want.

Nice stuff man!!

First of all: sweet profile pic on Myspace. I always wondered if Ronald McDonald was a kid, would he molest himself? :p

Joking aside, excellent job on your song. You've got the touch.

My only real nit is I was getting a bit too much sibilance on the vocals. Did you use a de-esser? Don't get me wrong, it wasn't too objectionable but it did come to mind when I was listening.

Thumbs up
Matt

Great intro
Mspace is poor for audio quality & takes quite a bit of time to load.
keep it for networking but go with Soundclick or mp3lightning for serious matters like asking for commentary oon mix, sound etc.
Good recording.
Sib is a prob - may be due to reverb or recorded taht way.
Cool song & sound.
No too Hawaiian from my angle - the bvox are cool.

thanks

Thanks for listening. The song is also on reverb nation, at 128 i think. A little better. Also www.michaelwookey.com

I used a reslo ribbon mic for the voice, with a pop shield. No de- esser though. For me it's not a problem, but I've noted it.

MW

I agree with the vocals being a little up front when the initial filters off....but this is an excellently cheesy (no offence) track, it made me smile and has a professional and commercial quality about it..very cool Michael...great job! :)

Back