Keypad access to equipment

applejax

You know what I think would be funny, awesome and pointless all at the same time? A key pad access to "power-up" of all the gear. I know you could just use one on your door and i know there are premade ones for how to do it. But does anyone know how this could be done? I'm not aloud to use a keypad lock on my door cause i live with my parents lol and they'd get REALLY suspicious lol...but just so if anyone does go in my room... my little sister doesnt "turn it all on" and F*** things up... like she's done in the past :p (anyone else have this problem??) Well anyways I want to start protecting my gear...and I know I could just do it with a lock on my door or w/e... but I think it'd look cool to press an "on/off" rocker switch then have to type in a password on the keypad and it turns all the gear on (which are all running off a huge powerbar? Any suggestions :D lol Me and my wack ideas... lol

- Build a lockable box to cover up your surge protectors, or whatever power supplies you are using. (buy a 10 dollar cash-box and cut a hole large enough to fit a three pron plug though on one end, and a slot for all your gear power cords to hang out. Then all you do is lock the box when your away.)

Or tie your sister up. LOL :D

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 193
Thats a great idea i'll probably end up doing it...but i STILL want to be cool ( :rolleyes: lol) and somehow have it all electronic witht he keypad?

applejax said:
Thats a great idea i'll probably end up doing it...but i STILL want to be cool ( :rolleyes: lol) and somehow have it all electronic witht he keypad?

Get a cash-box with an electronic keypad. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thane not sure...but I think you misunderstood.. lol I ment keypad (with numbers on it? aka numberpad) not a key hole lol...Sorry for the confusion

Well...Here's what I want:

1. Hit the main power button ON.
2. Have to type in the password on the numberpad.
3. If password is correct, it turns the power-bar (that is connected to the power-conditioners etc) ON.
4. If the password is incorrect, the power-bar WON'T turn on.

Understand? Like maybe I can have the main power-button and key pad wired to the power bar's cord before it plugs into the wall/goes to the outlets. I may not be explaining this in perfect terms...sorry for any confusion lol :) but thanks for the help guys. Maybe someone with electrical experience can help me out...lol

For a keypad setup, you just put the power on a relay operated by the keypad.

The right combo closes the relay contacts and you've got power.

applejax said:
Thane not sure...but I think you misunderstood.. lol I ment keypad (with numbers on it? aka numberpad) not a key hole lol...Sorry for the confusion

Well...Here's what I want:

1. Hit the main power button ON.
2. Have to type in the password on the numberpad.
3. If password is correct, it turns the power-bar (that is connected to the power-conditioners etc) ON.
4. If the password is incorrect, the power-bar WON'T turn on.

Understand? Like maybe I can have the main power-button and key pad wired to the power bar's cord before it plugs into the wall/goes to the outlets. I may not be explaining this in perfect terms...sorry for any confusion lol :) but thanks for the help guys. Maybe someone with electrical experience can help me out...lol

Well that's fine and dandy.....however that will take more engineering. My electronics courses have given me the knowledge to do that, but I thought this would be a simple solution for you; I have no idea what your abilities are. I just tried to offer a simple effective way to make sure your
applejax said:
little sister doesnt "turn it all on" and F*** things up... like she's done in the past :p

applejax said:

You CAN find cashboxes WITH electronic key/numberpad access.

c7sus said:
How about a car security system?

Then you could power up by remote!

You'd need a DC power supply for the "alarm brain"

Thane, I wasn't trying to stomp on your idea or anything lol :) sorry if it sounded like that. :)

To Thane and C7sus,
So what materials etc would I need for all of this? (if i dont understand it completely...I can get my dad to help me out! Cause he knows a bunch and i know a little lol)

And how would this be wired etc? A diagram would help :rolleyes: LOL !! Thanks alot though guys :D :)

Totally doable. But more work than it's worth.

At Home Depot or Lowes, go to the electrical isle and find yourself a $15 Leviton security switch.

Essentailly, it's a 15A lightswitch that instead of a lever to turn the switch on or off, there is a slot. It comes with two funny looking metal things you can put on your keychain, to stick into the slot, and turn the switch on and off.

I have two in my 8-switch power panel in the wall. One for recording gear, one for computer gear. I installed them so if I ask someone to "turn off the room lights" they don't accidentally hit the wrong switch, dumping hours of recording work or screwing up my windows by a hard crash.

18183.jpg

Leviton 1201-2L Features:
- 15 Amp
- Self grounding
- Back and side wired
- Industrial Grade

PDF: http://assets.twacomm.com/pdf/18183.pdf

Home Depot only has the 15A version, however there is a 20A and a 30A version you can get at a real electrical supply place.

Here is mine. Haven't cleaned it up and installed yet, but it goes in my console power panel. Got it at a local auto junkyard for .50 cents :D

Attachments

• keyswitch.jpg
    keyswitch.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 131
Hey thats a really good idea frederic :) I'll probably end up doing that!! That's really neat. Now how/where is this wired?? :) thanks guys!

applejax said:
Hey thats a really good idea frederic :) I'll probably end up doing that!! That's really neat. Now how/where is this wired?? :) thanks guys!

It's wired like any other light switch. So, intall it into an electrical box, mount it in the wall or on the console table, then wire a normal 3-prong outlet (59 cents) to the switch, and plug your power strips into the outlet.

It's really just a light switch with the part you "flip" with your fingers missing, and instead you use a metal thing that comes with it to turn it on and off.

Schools have them in the hallways for the hall lights - so that the janitors can turn the lights on and off, and the kids cannot.

Ah, I get it :). So could I wire 2, the lock thing you mentioned, then a rocker-switch? (Cause I want a rocker switch REALLY bad for the main "power-on" for gear. But, I could use the key thing to lock everything off?, because I want the rocker switch to be for rack gear and the console, then another rockerswitch for my CPU? Get it :D? Thanks a bunch, you really know your stuff LOL

PS - Thats where i remember seeing those boxes...Once you posted it i was like "ive seen that before" and it was in the hall of my school and my classes. lol

Back