Keypad access to equipment

Sure.

Little hard to see...

Top row, L -> R:

1. Flushmount flourescent ceiling lights.
2. "Recording" lights to indicate a session is in progress.
3. Dimmer 1 - console overhead halogens.
4. Dimmer 2 - producer's overhead halogens.

Bottom row, L -> R:

1. Webcam and synth lighting.
2. Producer's desk power (for rack gear).
3. Locked switch 1 - computer, 4 VGA monitors, peripherals,
audio monitoring system.
4. Locked switch 2 - mixers, recorders, etc. Essentially the
console table minus the computer stuff.

studio-0042.jpg

This panel is mounted in the wall, right as you walk in:

studio-0053.jpg

And here is the same area sheetrocked. Above the "NEC" sign there is a small plywood hatch/door. That covers the switches.

studio-0149.jpg

The "use this special metal thing to actuate" switched I mentioned above are for the console table and the computer stuff. This way, no one can accidentally flick a switch and I lose all the recording data. My hard disk recorders are VERY tolerant of power fluctuations, even while writing to the hard drives. Upon reboot they'll back out the last partial tracks and put them "aside" for me to preview and decide whether to keep it or not depending how hosed it got at the point of the power being cut off. Now if Windows XP was that tolerant, I'd be happy.

I tried to further protect my switch panel by flush mounting them into the wall as you can see, and putting a hinged door (hatch) over them. I even put a slide lock on that just to make it obvious that fingers do not belong in there, unless they are mine.

And I'm glad I did. A couple of times I've left my PC on overnight while processing a 1 hour 57 minute video, frame by frame. My wife came in here in the morning, and flipped various switches looking for the light switch. Had the PC been on a regular wall switch, I'd have lost all that data, and probably corrupted the hard drive and have to reinstall XP. So instead the "damage" was that flourescent light was on, the console lights were half dimmed, and the producer desk's gear was blinking waiting for the rest of the studio to be powered up.

I bought two of these switches, so it's the best $30 I spent. I debated the keypad thing too, but then decided these switches did the same thing and take 5 minutes each to install. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be. The various home depots and the lowes within driving distance of my house have these in stock so they are easy to get. Ace Hardware can order them (I ordered replacement "keys" for them since I lost a set on a fishing trip - doh!) and any electrical place that supplies electrical contractors can get them in a day.

Awesome!!,

Thanks Frederic, I'm going to use this approach for my studio-to-be (in about 2 months lol! Very useful information!

Back