JBL LSR25P Problem - advice wanted

HomeRec

I own a pair of JBL LSR25P active monitors as part of my home recording setup, but hadn't used the setup for quite a while. When I powered it up today, one speaker (left) seemed to be working fine, but the other (right) was running at an extremely low volume.

I tweaked the computer output settings, shifted balance, and even swapped the left monitor's cable to the right one, but the result was the same. When I turned up the volume to an audible level with the right speaker hooked up, it crackled a bit and seemed to shift between two volume levels.

Based on the troubleshooting, it seems as though the right speaker has gone bad. However, it seems odd that this would happen when neither had been used for a long period of time. Does this sound right, and is it common for monitors to go dead from lack of use? The period of non-use is probably somewhere between 6-12 months.

If the right speaker is, in fact, bad, then I think it may still be under warranty, so it may be worth repairing, assuming I can find the original receipt. However, should I not be able to find it, or if the monitor is not, in fact, still under warranty, should I consider simply replacing the monitor, as it is relatively inexpensive?

Back