Jagmaster?

rockabilly1955

I am looking for a decent low budget short scale guitar (small hands) to be a backup to my Les Paul. Has anybody tried a jagmaster? I tried one at my local GC plugged into a fender amp and fell in love with the tone. Good for rockabilly or my surf stuff. I only tried it for a few minutes so I'm not sure what to expect if I bought one. Any advice?

I've got a 2000-era Jagmaster (25.5 scale) and I love it.
I haven't played the newest ones, but the even older Vista series Jagmasters are also shortscale and I know that the build quality on those are great as well.

They're like cheap and awesome MIJ Fenders.

I think I'll save a few bucks and pick one up. When I tried it, I played it through one of fender's solid state modeling amps set to the tweed and it still had a nice vintage tone to it.

I've got one. I love how the neck is short scale but they've made it 21 frets instead of the usual 22, all Jags should have 21 anyway, people out there like me with small hands can actually play things scales that little bit easier, I find anyway.

Anyway it shreds, the neck looks unfinished but it has some kind of smooth epoxy coating, not caked in satin clear so it's rather fast and you won't hate it when you sweat. I got the last one in this state I think (Australia) At first I wasn't keen on it because it was black and the white pickguard made it look a little cheap. But then I looked into them and found out how unique and versatile (and a bit kooky) of an instrument it was, so I rung up the store and told them to hold it for me till payday. I will probably put guitar fetish pickups in it, as the bridge is too muddy to really be of any use to me. It has a 6 screw vintage trem, but I see that as a plus as they put them in $6000 custom shop vintage reissues don't they? I might put locking tuners on it cause i found genuine fender schaller ones for $50 on amazon and change the nut to an LSR (still need to research how they stand up and what the tone is like) or a graphtech xl, but that's about it. This one's a keeper, I mean I doubt they are going to go up in price much in coming years but If mine were stolen or broken I would find another. There's 3 models, the original japanese squier vista series, then the ones with the afforementioned 25.5" scale neck and finally the chinese squires, again back to the smaller 24 inch necks. They're actually called a 'conversion neck' as you could put one on a strat or whatever fender and it would still intonate. I don't know if it's got something to do with the fretboard overhanging the neck or the pocket being routed deeper. Same goes for swapping a full scale neck from something else. or so I'm told
Worth getting if you want all 'buckers but aren't into gibsons and want a whammy bar but don't like the jaguar/ jazzmaster unit. Hey they're not a custom shop one off made for an artist, but I guarantee you won't bump into many other players with one if originality is what you're after.

Hope you find one at a good price, the vista ones are already bringing in upwards of $700 though. Make sure you buy from a store and have them set it up properly for the gauge of strings you use. they like heavier strings, having the shorter scale (I use 11s, the shorter scale makes them ideal)

** EDIT *** JUST had a look at ebay and there's a 2002 silver sparkle for 240 (don't know if that was the normal strat scale model) in Florida and another black vista series for $350, several used recent ones from between 150 to 250(one right at the top for $234 claiming to be 'manufacturer refurbished', hmm haven't seen that before.. , Another mij vista in sunburst for 395 and two others vistas, one with a 450 buy it now and a silver glitter vista that's up at $750. but most of the new music store seller's jagmasters are going for $299. those are probably your best bet as you'd possibly get some sort of warranty. good luck and have fun

Last edited:
WTF is Shoom on? Amphetamine? Anyway, not even sure what a Jagmaster is! And as for Jag/ Jazzmaster bridge pickups being muddy, the bloke must have cotton wool in his ears.

Um, I've owned jazzmasters in the past thankyou very much and know fenders arsenal and past models probably better than you. I HAVE A JAGMASTER, did you not read that bit? I was trying to help the guy find his guitar. what's wrong with that? For the music I Jam, the bridge is too nasally. I'd like something like the seymour duncan JB bridge, just a cheaper equivalent ;)

Yes, they are just like a jaguar but with two humbuckers and a strat tremolo. looky here : Jagmaster™ | Vintage Modified Series | Squier by Fender®
they came in three versions, the original japanese vista series that is starting to push 4 bills, the strat / jazzmaster longer neck version and the final made in china vintage modified series. was the 25.5" neck version one of the earliest vintage modified squires Sloan?
Anyway, I'd love to get the Seymour Duncan JB bridge and jazz neck set, but I can't afford the $230+ they'll cost here.
Guitar fetish is going to put something similiar together for me at about a fifth of the price lol. I'd like to get a second one and fit Creamery / Lollar True WideRange Humbuckers to it, apparently the ones in the new squire models aren't real wide ranges, just humbuckers with the cover on them to look like the real deal. But they sound like a strat on steroids basically, (the proper jason lollar and creamery ones) I mean good country steroids, sorta a cross between a strat pickup and a hot jazzmaster pup. I hope they revive the jagmasters again eventually , as they're so cool and versatile.

Last edited:
Back