ISA 430 discontinued

CoolCat

I was surfing and reading about gear and doing the craigslist "gear surf "in boredom...
A Focusrite ISA 430 Producer Pack was up for $650.
I went to see it, and it had the digital card also. It powered up and the VU was working, all the leds were blinking.
Took the risk and brought it home.

I am really enjoying the ISA One w/ KT2A, its probably the best chain Ive ever had. Toss in the WA47 and its maybe the most expensive mic too. Of course Im not 15 anymore and is when I would have used the stuff not studied it. But the ISA One with the KT2A is solid.

Craigslist.....430 first version, with dual transformers they said. So I popped it open and theres a huge Carnhill transformer Output and the standard Lundhall(input). The new ones dropped the output transformer. A big surprise was this unit had the Digital card in it too..so cards run $400 or more and this is an older unit, UK built, with 96k limit, 16-20-24 bit allowed.

It has the VCA compressor and a cool Limiter to police the circuits, a Preamp Clean out with the Lundhall only in the path or another socket for the Output Transformer in the loop, which I suppose goes back to a time when a lot of people werent buying anything with transformers in them, when the "super clean" was in style and transformers had distortion! lol.

The EQ is what makes this 430 unit closest to the ISA 110, in addition to the output Xformer.

I really wasnt planning on this buy but at $650 , I had to go look. I about bought a ISA 430 years ago for $900.
New these things are Obsolete :)......used around $1200-$1800, digital cards are $400. Currently none for sale on Reverb or Ebay.

** IMO, I will note right away the ISA One has some functions and desktop stuff I like better. The 430 is the flagship, the Mk1 probably even more the playa with the output transformer and digital card. Also the ISA One sounds very similar when just using the PReamp.
The 430 doesnt have the Impedance options I like and instead a 110 Z at 1200-1400ohm....it doesnt have the CueMix/ Headphone Amp either, the ISA One does.

Attachments

• ISA 430.png
    ISA 430.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
a few hours later- initial gear notes
the Digital Card works fine but it skips the output transformer. I just select the SPDIF IN , instead of INst, Mic, or Line as the source input.
I suppose a person could record a dry-Vocal and the "eq/comp/gate/limit" vocal on two tracks. The 430 offers this "dual" Output....clean pre only and processed(Op1)

The concept of a channel strip vs preamp only for tracking is a debate.
Some say track clean, eq and comps are for mixing...so why would anyone want a entire channel strip for tracking?
Others might prefer some EQ, some Peak Compression or a bunch of it on the way in.

good news is everything works, the pots arent crackling, impressed with the build of this old unit....and yeah man! its unbelievably heavy in weight...like a guitar amp heavy!
This is considered a high end piece, professional piece and yet once again, I dont hear some "billboard radio finished mastered" sound.....its a reminder to me that the ISA One and plugins can get there, or even a DAW and Interface preamp can make great sounds. Maybe I dont have golden ears and golden monitoring ability?
It is fun finally getting to have one in the house decades later! I can kind of afford it? lol

SOS 1999

Last edited:
I really wasnt planning on this buy but at $650 , I had to go look. I about bought a ISA 430 years ago for $900.
New these things are Obsolete :)......u
They aren't obsolete - they are quite handy. The only debate is whether you want all these devices in one package.

yeah, OBSOLETE is the wrong term...they are still in use. No longer manufactured.

Channel Strips -the Masterclass dude has a good point of "leave the eq and comps for mixing"....track straight in.
Others seem to know what they are doing and where they are going with a recording like tracking with it all...(mainly old reel to reel days).

I was skeptical after reading ISA 430 and ISA 110, 115,215 articles and old posts.
After looking at schematics I was confused in that the CARNHILL transformer I saw was in fact a Power Supply transformer(VT1511). Everyone mentioned some "Pumpkin Carnhill VT30408" Neve used and that got me to
take off the upper and lower covers again.....and then I found that hidden Output transformer. lol.... it was fun, to find but man, was it hidden....

Attachments

• ISA 430 TRANSFORMERS.png
    ISA 430 TRANSFORMERS.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Just another post on this unit.
I decided to go with it for now, for fun, even though when comparing to "doing it all later in the mix" can achieve the same, imo.
Its the old hardware vs pluginITB thing, right?

Placebo effect of having a Hardware piece, with some story to its design, Focusrite...etc....same as a 2A clone or a 1073 clone.... old school tracked with it,
mainly because it was in the console...it wasnt added as a choice for ITB or a Console back in the day. SSL 4000 channel strip , hardware or a plugin?

ADD: Just found the BRAINWORX FOCUSRITE 430 PRODUCER PLugIn is FREE if you register certain Focusrite Gear....pretty easy to do.

Attachments

• Brainworx Focus ISA430.jpeg
    Brainworx Focus ISA430.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back