Is there only one V77?

mandocaster

non compos mentis
I remember reading here that Harvey was crazy about V77's. I see them for sale from time to time, but I worry that MXL reissued some inferior newer version of it. Anyone know?

...all the V77's were produced by 797Audio for MXL, but there are some variations in production...I have 2 from different production runs (noticeable differences in the metalwork as well as the components), but their sound is very much similar...no reissues as of yet, though it was mentioned to me by Scott at MXL that such a run was being considered...he did assure me that they would contract 797Audio, once again, to be the manufacturer (since they were involved in the original design/tooling of the V77s)...all have the 3-micron diaphragm and transformer-coupled output circuit...probably MXL's best mic...if you can scoop up a clean one for around $200, grab it!...you won't regret it...

here's a few on Ebay currently:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MXL-V77-Tube-Co...ryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MARSHALL-MX...ryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MARSHALL-MX...ryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, there ya have it...that's about a complete answer as you can get and, the additional links for your browsing pleasure!

Big Kenny said:
There must be more than one cuz I have one and if Harvey has one and Han has one and......
Well if you got one from me and I still have one...

kidvybes said:
there are some variations in production...I have 2 from different production runs (noticeable differences in the metalwork as well as the components)

what sort of noticible differences? anything on the body or the PCB, etc., that would indicate which is which? just curious which run mine is from.

mandocaster, this is a fantastic mic--let alone for the price. i'm thinking about picking up a 2nd if i find one at the right price.

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
what sort of noticible differences? anything on the body or the PCB, etc., that would indicate which is which? just curious which run mine is from.

...the differences are subtle but noticeable...the finish on the older production model is more of a warm platinum matte color (more "vintage" looking), while the newer one is a cooler shinier silver tone...the engraved lettering on the older one is a finer typeface, while the older is more bold (this could be the result of the aging of the engraving plate wearing out)...also, the top of the grill on the older one is more rounded and blunted while the newer one has a more angular, flatened (therefore wider) shape...

...on the inside there are some differences in components (the older production model is on the top in each picture)...I'm not well enough acquainted with the specifics of the component types, so hopefully the photos will provide some insight (the differences may just be different manufacturing sources for the essentially the same-valued components, therefore just "cosmetic" differences)...I have modified the older version to accept upgraded 6072 type tubes (I installed a mini 9-pin socket to facilitate simple tube replacement) since the mic comes with factory soldered 6072 (Chinese) tubes...you will notice that on both, the "797 AUDIO" inscription on the circuit board has been altered manually (probably by MXL)...the "797" part of the inscription has been scratched out, leaving only the word "AUDIO"...

...I'm hoping that someone more familiar with the components (Philgood, Flatpicker, Marik, etc...) will chime in and comment on the specifics...please forgive my photo skills, as my camera is a low-end 2 megapixel model...

Attachments

• 01a.jpg
    01a.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 02b.jpg
    02b.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 04a.jpg
    04a.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 07b.jpg
    07b.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
The circuit looks the same on both. As for the components, they just look like different maufacturers (Vishay caps vs. NTE or Xicon, etc.), but the same materials (electrolytic for electrolytic, film for film, etc.). All look like the same values, though it's hard to read a JPG. I wouldn't imagine any differences between the two if they are going to be called the same mic.

kidvybes said:
...the differences are subtle but noticeable...

these all make sense to me. and it explains why, when i got mine, i wondered why it didn't look quite like the pics i've seen on the MXL website and on ebay. :D

mine is definitely more of a "warm platinum" color--almost "champagne" if you will, the font is definitely more "blocky" and the grill is very round (rather than the more angular one seen on the website/ebay pics). i noticed the grill and color first, and then i noticed that the typeface was slightly different than that on my V67 (new) and similar to my 603's (older)--kinda right in the middle, actually.

i suppose that it follows that mine is the older one. i never really questioned it much, as i loved the way it sounded and didn't really care if it were "a knockoff" (or whatever)--i could care less what the label is as long as it sounds good.....but the wondering "why doesn't mine look like the picture" is always gonna be there no matter what.

as you said that you had noticed some minor tonal differences.....anything you can put into words? ;)

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
as you said that you had noticed some minor tonal differences.....anything you can put into words? ;)

cheers,
wade

Wade...the subtle differences I was referring to were cosmetic, not tonal...since I had completed the upgraded tube socket installation prior to obtaining the second mic, I never had the opportunity to compare the 2 mic's sonic characteristics with the <soldered> stock tubes...I replaced the stock tube in the older one with a vintage NOS GE 5-Star 6072A Cryo-Tube...
...the upgraded tube "seemed" to enhance the mic's clarity (tighter, more defined) on both the extreme upper and lower frequencies...I say "seemed" because this is hardly a scientific evaluation...the original mic with stock tube was already quite impressive prior to the mod/upgrade...I also had the stock Chinese tube tested and graded, and surprisingly it had exceptionally low microphonics and perfectly matched triodes (not crucial since the V77 only utilizes one triode to complete the circuit)...
...I do think it's interesting that the staff at MXL admit that the V77 was an exceptional product and never attempted to "clone" it (as was done by Nady) by reproducing it at another facility (to save cost) rather than return production to the original manufacturer, 797Audio (one of the best of the Chinese manufacturers)...the V76t shares some design traits with the V77 (transformer-coupled output) but doesn't capture the tonal characteristics that made the V77s so outstanding...797Audio continues to offer the original design on it's website as part of it's product line:
http://www.797audio.com/products/mic/condenser/cr100.htm
...I contacted 797 about the availability of the CR100 and I was told that they no longer provide that mic to any companies (for US distribution) at this time, although they did say that the ADK A51TC shared circuit design but utilized a newer 6-micron diaphragm...I'm convinced that the earlier 3-micron diaphragm capsule is crucial to the sound of the V77 and it's very neutral/natural tonal characteristics...
...let's hope that MXL decides to re-issue a true V77s (from 797Audio) possibly with the socket-mounted tube rather than soldered, to facilitate tube swapping, sometime in the future...imagine a version with all upgraded caps, a vintage NOS tube and a Jensen transformer...kinda like Mojave's MA-200 (which incidentally sounds very similar to the V77...I know because I have compared the 2 mics side by side in the studio...I have one of the original Royer/Mojave prototypes built using an ADK A51 body and an ADK Vienna 5-micron diaphragm)...interesting...

kidvybes said:
...all the V77's were produced by 797Audio for MXL, but there are some variations in production...I have 2 from different production runs (noticeable differences in the metalwork as well as the components), but their sound is very much similar...no reissues as of yet, though it was mentioned to me by Scott at MXL that such a run was being considered...he did assure me that they would contract 797Audio, once again, to be the manufacturer (since they were involved in the original design/tooling of the V77s)...all have the 3-micron diaphragm and transformer-coupled output circuit...probably MXL's best mic...if you can scoop up a clean one for around $200, grab it!...you won't regret it...

here's a few on Ebay currently:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MXL-V77-Tube-Co...ryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are they as good, or better than, or close to a Neuman?

Please enlighten me.

kidvybes said:
Wade...the subtle differences I was referring to were cosmetic, not tonal...

ah, gotcha. I had inferred from your statement "their sound is very much similar..." above to mean that you heard a difference between the two "runs". obviously a disconnect in my mind. :D

either way, i love my v77 and wouldn't trade it for all the "newmanns" in china. :p

cheers,
wade

mandocaster said:
After a fair amount of soul-searching and discussions with the wife, I went ahead and bought that one.

Thanks for all of the good advice.

...congrats my brother!...best of luck with the new addition...be sure to chime in with your impressions...but keep in mind that the V77 is SO neutral and SO natural sounding that it takes a bit of getting used to, after listening to the more common "scooped and hyped" sound of so many of today's LDCs...give it a little time for your ears to adjust...you won't regret it...

<cherokee mode on>

kidvybes speaks truth. :D

<cherokee mode off>

:D

the v77 doesn't give you that "tube sizzle" that a lot of other tube mics give you. when you hear a track recorded with it, it doesn't immediately set off the "that was recorded with a tube mic" bell in your head.

what it DOES give you is a huge, round, full tone. it's beautiful. and it's subtle. and it does take using it a while in order to fully appreciate what you're getting/hearing.

my guess is that this mic never "took off" b/c most home users don't immediately hear that "tube sizzle" and they figure it sucks (and they don't have the experience to hear otherwise). and since it's an MXL, many "seasoned pros" never gave it a fair shake, which is a true shame, b/c this could easily have been the "big one" for MXL, much like the TC and A48 are "the big ones" for ADK.

either way, it's more beer for us. :D

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
<cherokee mode on>

kidvybes speaks truth. :D

<cherokee mode off>

:D

the v77 doesn't give you that "tube sizzle" that a lot of other tube mics give you. when you hear a track recorded with it, it doesn't immediately set off the "that was recorded with a tube mic" bell in your head.

what it DOES give you is a huge, round, full tone. it's beautiful. and it's subtle. and it does take using it a while in order to fully appreciate what you're getting/hearing.

my guess is that this mic never "took off" b/c most home users don't immediately hear that "tube sizzle" and they figure it sucks (and they don't have the experience to hear otherwise). and since it's an MXL, many "seasoned pros" never gave it a fair shake, which is a true shame, b/c this could easily have been the "big one" for MXL, much like the TC and A48 are "the big ones" for ADK.

either way, it's more beer for us. :D

cheers,
wade

Actually it's the best mic MXL has made so far, very versatile, sounds good on almost everything. This mic comes close to the sound of my Neumann M149, close I said. The Neumann sounds better of course, but it has the same kind of 'color' in sound.

It isn't very bright mic but it's far from dark sounding, really a very big bang for the buck.

I wish I had ten of them mics.

Back