Is there anything wrong with using the recording compensated outputs?

LazerBeakShiek

Rad Racing Team
My hardware preamps have outputs for recording. Is there anything wrong with using them ? Sounds ok.

I run them straight into the apollo USB interface mic1 and mic2. I don't use any unison model then, instead using the preamp hardware to make the sound.

You probably just need to make sure you are at line level on the Apollo, not mic level. I don't know if there is a difference between the balanced XLR and 1/4" TRS input types. Your manual should tell you that.

Oh, ok. Recording compensated is +4 then for line level. So how about just using the normal outputs from the preamp? The ones that go to a guitar amplifier. Those are instrument level outs. Could I send them straight to the front of mic1 and mic2 as TS 1/4" ? Click instrument level in UA console to match it.

Every week I get a couple hours to record.. I hate everything I record.

Then I come across this..Suhr Reactive load. It takes the SPEAKER OUTPUT FROM THE AMPLIFIER!

It still uses the DAW and Apollo USB. Its $489..

This has to be the answer. From the amplifiers, loaded speaker output. You get the sound of the power amp too.

Anybody got this thing? It looks so easy. And that sounds like the radio with presets.

I think its worth checking out.

Last edited:
You realize that part of your guitar's sound you like so much is the SPEAKERS IN THE ROOM, right? Why would subbing an expensive speaker load device be the answer?

I really don't know why you don't just try it, and if you like it, use it? It's almost like we have developed amazing technology but everyone is totally scared of using it. In nearly fifty years of recording I have never broken anything. I read once that you could use a mic as a speaker, and a speaker as a mic, and so you can. The SM57 is still in my mic box. For the record, on a Sony Walkman cassette, on a scale of 0-10, 1 was pretty loud, but also very thin and weedy and distorted, but it worked. I started turned down, and turned gradually up. My RCF monitors in my office are rated at 50W RMS, they are being powered by a 1000W+ rack amp. A couple of times I've accidentally knocked the controls and treated myself to ear shattering volume. No harm done, and back in the days when I knew little - I discovered I got a little more volume by removing the output transformer. I did not realise it's purpose back then and I took a tap from the speaker to my reel to reel - that's quite a few volts up the spout, and my ignorance caused no grief - until I disconnected the thing and touched the terminal and got a hefty shock. I had to go to the library to find out about why the transformer was there, and it went back in quickly.

If I see sockets labelled output - it would never occur to me to NOT take a feed from them if I needed one.

You realize that part of your guitar's sound you like so much is the SPEAKERS IN THE ROOM, right? Why would subbing an expensive speaker load device be the answer?
You know, I moved the microphones all around my rooms. Different gains, distances, angles. I cannot find it. I bought 5-6 nice microphones.

If this takes the room and microphones and speakers out of the equation, what is left? Nothing but my bad ass guitar skills..

Everything I record sounds thin to me. Unamplified. Around 8:30 into that youtube video they show the thing straight in. Sounds awesome. On presets. Out of the box.

When I get it, I will try it on the mixer PA speaker outs, see what it does for the voice too. A reactive loading on the outputs.

If it doesn't work like that, I will send it back.

There are dozens of load boxes or 'Power Soaks' on the market, many with line outs and ALL claiming to get you an awesome guitar tone. The reality is AFAICT is that the load TYPE needs to be married to AMP type, i.e. load X might sound great on a Marshall but ***t on a Vox. As you say, make sure you can get a refund it it does not perform the promised magic.

Regarding recording speakers, probably more guff written about that than Brexit! One of the best articles IMHO is in Sound on Sound Aug 07.

Dave.

You know, I moved the microphones all around my rooms. Different gains, distances, angles. I cannot find it. I bought 5-6 nice microphones.

If this takes the room and microphones and speakers out of the equation, what is left? Nothing but my bad ass guitar skills..

Everything I record sounds thin to me. Unamplified. Around 8:30 into that youtube video they show the thing straight in. Sounds awesome. On presets. Out of the box.

When I get it, I will try it on the mixer PA speaker outs, see what it does for the voice too. A reactive loading on the outputs.

If it doesn't work like that, I will send it back.
Wait a minute - you are using a PA for your guitar - not your guitar amp? A load box is designed to take a high volume output from a guitar amp and eliminate the speaker so you still get the amp's loud driven sound without the earsplitting volume. I can't see what adding a load box to a PA's output is really going to do for you.

Wait a minute - you are using a PA for your guitar - not your guitar amp? A load box is designed to take a high volume output from a guitar amp and eliminate the speaker so you still get the amp's loud driven sound without the earsplitting volume. I can't see what adding a load box to a PA's output is really going to do for you.
Did not spot that Mike! Most PA amps are solid state and just sound crap through a power soak, you can also over dissipate the amp with eventual smoke.

Dave.

How about a EL-34 100/100 for the mixer PA? Not for guitar, for voice and keyboard.

There is definitely something missing in my process. Buying things makes me feel like a sucker..

At 11 minutes in that Suhr video, the tele sound..makes me want to cry..

How does it sound powerful, and mine don't? Don't say reverb

I contacted this guy. I have everything to do this. Mesa amp, GP-1000, Stratocaster, Suhr(on the way).

If it does not sound like this. I'm pouring gasoline on a pile of shit and burning it all.

Horseshit.

A guitar does not change sound when another plays it. The Technical articulation changes. That is not the recorded sound of a chord.

I said a bunch times now. In a band, when you grab your buddies instrument at break and play. Dont change anything. It sounds just the same as when he played it.

Thats a fact.

The sound is the gear.

When you get the new guitar, you will still sound like you. You can choose to disbelieve this, but the finger tips, nails or pick will sound different as does the speed of the strum, the pressure and even the angular direction. Your certainness is flawed, and as loads of people have said - Brian May is still Brian May when he plays on a different guitar. Many years back in We Will rock You in London, a friend got to the final audition for guitarists - they had to play Brian May's parts - and he was there. So they had his type of guitar, his effects and his lines to play. They ALL sounded different. Some were close, others less so. The ones who have played these parts in the show were very very close, but not the same as Brian May. I don't need to prove it. I have been working in and around tribute bands for years - some who duplicate the originals kits 100% - and they do not sound like the original. Clapton, Quo, Queen, etc etc. In fact, one Michael Jackson guitarist sounded just like the original tracks - I then discovered she was Michael Jacksons guitarist!

I rest my case.

s - some who duplicate the originals kits 100% - and they do not sound like the original. Clapton, Quo, Queen, etc etc. In fact, one Michael Jackson guitarist sounded just like the original tracks - I
so if you walk up to the amp and change the preset on the preamp, does Brian May's sound change? Or are his fingers so powerful..that the same sound continues out the speaker...cause hes just so perfect...

If Brian May's plays the bass guitar, does it still sound like his 6 string?

How does this set of physics work?

Back