Is a short scale 28-30" bass something needed in an instrument collection?

If it only cost a nickle I would stick with the bone. How many pancakes does it take to shingle a doghouse?

Not bothering with straplocks on my Gretsch as I don't plan on ever gigging with it (but things could change). I've got them on my Taylor 31o, Telecaster, Epi Dot and J bass, though.
DR Sunbeam short scale 45-105 strings. Broke an E string on my mandolin, so strings on that will get done first.

Strap Locks are cheap. My straps have them already.

Mike, is the G2220 single coils, are they series or parallel, switch in middle position? Do they hum cancel?

What else can I stuff into it? Does Hipshot make a drop D tuner?
Screenshot 2023-01-07 015712.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-06 083318.png

Last edited:
For many years, Gretsch's brochures, ads and product descriptions noted the pickups as mini-humbucking. Several owners took it upon themselves to disassemble them and perform some basic tests as well as superficial observations. They discovered they were single-coil and raised the alarm. Early (doh!) this last year Gretsch removed all humbucking references, replacing them with "single-coil".

That is all I know. The End.

Last edited:
I have a Gretsch G1222 Synchromatic Junior Jet II that was MIK from 1998-2003 and was the precursor to the MIC G2220. The body shape and size is exactly the same and the only differences that I know of are 1. clear coated neck instead of color 2. different body colors 3. black pickguard instead of white.

FYI, my Gretsch fits great in my Les Paul case so any LP case should work. I replaced my broken plastic nut with bone. The strings I use are D'Addario EXL160s. 50-105. Lastly, yes there is some single coil buzz but not nearly as bad as SC buzz from a regular guitar. I also shielded my control cavity and that helps with some outside interference. I use this guitar for recording and gigging and IMO is very versatile.

IMO is very versatile.
Does it hum cancel in the middle? Indicating one of the pickups is reverse wound?
*EDIT- No it does not have a reverse wound pickup in either position.*

Behold yall..The FENDER FATFINGER
g2ngknag6r0u8tbecuid.jpg
I want bass. This piece of iconic mojo is gonna get me there for sure. Get me the bass. Get me the big bottoms.

This short scale ends the game...how could it not.
doubleneck.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any hum from my G2220 when plugged into my interface, haven't plugged either of my bass amps in for years, maybe I should try out the Rumble 75 and see what the neighbors think!

haven't plugged either of my bass amps in for years
Nobody does. It's silly.

I think that is why amps like these old Fender's are only $50-60 . Nobody does it like that anymore.
m80basschrs.jpg
This was $59.99, found on accident while searching the Gretsch. This old Fender M80 Bass amp brings the thunder. Weighs about 80lbs. 1x15". Make no mistakes, it is a workhorse. What a blast from the past. Damn thing followed me home.

Last edited:
notice my G2220
For $200 bucks? If it jams ok, and fits in my hand... ok.

Yet , Gretsch has disappointed me with the ''made in China' thing. This will be my first MIC instrument. Not sure how I feel about it.. For $200 , i don't expect a lot... Should be, ok..

Last edited:
How could I have missed this!
A baby Jaguar? a Lil' Yaggy!
61C7yUeEYzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg61ydJQ1IfNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
...but its a squire ...yuck. i have standards.
Screenshot 2023-01-08 085128.jpg

Last edited:
You will like the G2220. . . You will accept it's flaws. . . You will enjoy it's pros . . . You like MIC. . .

a.jpg

You will like the G2220. . . You will accept it's flaws. .
About those pickups..They arent even single coils. No Pins? Its just 2 slab magnets sandwiched together. Under a chrome cover. Both are wound the same direction. These are similar to lipstick tube pickups. There are no known substitutes. TVJones makes aftermarket Gretsch pickups, but some sanding might be required. 'F' that. And they reported are not much of an upgrade. I contacted a pickup guy i know. Perhaps i can get mine reverse wound on one side.
3s1g7My.jpg

Oh, I'm gonna like it..but I'm not going to like liking it.

Last edited:
Nobody does. It's silly.

I think that is why amps like these old Fender's are only $50-60 . Nobody does it like that anymore.
View attachment 124892
This was $59.99, found on accident while searching the Gretsch. This old Fender M80 Bass amp brings the thunder. Weighs about 80lbs. 1x15". Make no mistakes, it is a workhorse. What a blast from the past. Damn thing followed me home.
Nice amp. I lo-urrrrve that 15" speaker. And it's on wheels!:guitar:

Still waiting....

The only one I held was the Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro. Its a smaller piccolo, i think. 22 frett on a 28.5" scale. The Mikro was contoured really nice. Took full size PJ pickups. The one I fiddled with had EMG actives. Weighs 6 lbs instead of Gretsch's 10 lbs. GSRM20 is Mahogany and rosewood. Same tuners.

While Im waiting I looked at the deals on the Mikro...
GSRM rootbeer.jpgGSRM20WALBACK.jpg
best priced mikro
Screenshot 2023-01-10 091203.png
get some pups
GSRM20 pickups.png
Knobs that twist right.
Screenshot 2023-01-10 180804.png
Suede case
Screenshot 2023-01-10 124546.png
See, the Mikro is an Ibanez..All Ibanez bass guitars sound like.. ass on taco night. The Gretsch as an unknown or wild card, it has at least a chance of being a half decent instrument.

Last edited:
Very nice in the hand. Lightweight . Got those no logo knobs on, and installed and adjusted the hipshot. I intonated it. Set it up like I do. Very classic styling. Beautiful bass guitar
classic body.jpghipshot.jpg
side by side for scale to fullsize Jazz.
sidebyside.jpg

this fancy switch top is coming, and think it could be the secret to the Gretsch sound.. More to come
222.jpg111.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody does. It's silly.
Nobody does it like that anymore.
Using a bass amp has been an integral part of my arsenal of bass sounds ever since I started recording in '92 and still is now. There's lots one can do with a bass amp, and for that matter a bass through a guitar amp or going simultaneously to a bass amp and guitar amp and blending. It is part of that spectrum of possibilities for those of us that actually think about the sonics of our bass sounds. And I specify sounds, as opposed to 'sound'.
Yall think a short scale bass is needed?
51360-5c45e737c6bd2e75ef6b913537d4461b.jpg
51363-ba59010dd75af19ef6abb5ede63c9e1a.jpg
51361-7ccc56eb9abef863049e1fcbb7dae824.jpg

From '81 through to '93, 3 of the 5 basses I owned {a shitty Kay and 2 Fender Musicmasters} were short-scale ones. I wouldn't say they were necessary and I wouldn't say they were a waste of time, space and money. They were just bass guitars as far as I was concerned.
The mind adjusts. They all made low sounds and most of the notes were in the same place !
The electric bass I've been using since 2005 is a long-scale but I'd class my acoustic bass guitar as a short-scale. So I'm often jumping in and out of long and short thinking. I don't find a difference ¬> there's more of a difference between one being 5 strings and one having 4.

Very nice in the hand. Lightweight . Got those no logo knobs on, and installed and adjusted the hipshot. I intonated it. Set it up like I do. Very classic styling. Beautiful bass guitar
View attachment 125105View attachment 125108
View attachment 125111

this fancy switch top is coming, and think it could be the secret to the Gretsch sound.. More to come
View attachment 125114View attachment 125117
Man! That's the best looking bass ever in the whole history of ever. Did you sell everything you owned to buy it? I would sell both my Lamborghinis for one of those. No. Not just one of those... YOURS. The tweed case looks like a perfect fit. I like that more than my Ferrari.

View attachment 125105View attachment 125108
View attachment 125111

View attachment 125114View attachment 125117
What's that tweed case for the Gretsch - Les Paul size? I didn't think they were long enough.

It is the Gretsch factory case for the G2220....in tweed. Fits perfect. Recommended by Gretsch...and Spantini.
Screenshot 2023-01-12 162537.png

Every guitar of mine gets a hard case. Just proper.

My bass had a really loud low E string. There are no pins to adjust in the pickup. So I had to cock it up. Cocking things up is a technical procedure. No fear, I am an expert in cocking things up.
lowerdlowside.jpg
Once I work out the little things, I will get to the question proposed. Is the short scale necessary? We will get into that.

Too short? Well, you dont need to worry about bouncing the neck off everything like a fender.

Last edited:
Back