Need advice for computer processor to improve DAW performance

Skip to main content
Steinberg Forums

Need advice about computer processing in Cubase12 Pro

Cubase
cubase-12 0 votes

Do you want to install Steinberg Forums on this device?

Vote

Need advice about computer processing in Cubase12 Pro

Cubase
cubase-120 votes

1​

/

1​

Robert_Donithan
23m
Device name DESKTOP-RQUC4EP
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
Device ID 06E0CCAB-50FE-4EC7-A890-BD11DD7E764C
Product ID 00330-54901-54404-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Sent from Mail for Windows
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎5/‎28/‎2020
OS build 19044.2130
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0
I have a Dell Optiplex 9010
My problem is that the sound or audio in my Cubase12 daw is shallow or uneven… it’s like up and down with the fullness of live and recorded sound from an instrument… usually a guitar or harmonica…some times even with the midi keyboards. The plugins that I use to enhance or affect the sound seems off to me. Like they’re starved of something. That includes virtual instruments,reverbs,choruses, distortion,amp simulators etc. I think I was told to try a better audio interface but I have three of them(a good and another cheap one) and they all don’t change anything. I was wondering if I changed the computer processor in case the stock processor couldn’t process what I was doing in my Cubase12 Daw.
Above I have posted the computer specifications to help maybe to analyze the problem. Thanks

Topic Controls

Watching
You will receive notifications because you created this topic.

QuoteEdit

I seriously doubt that the processor is the problem you're having. I'm running a 3.2gHz I5 4th Gen processor and it's more than adequate for processing 10-15+ tracks of audio at 88kHz/24bit. More likely you have processes running in the background that might be effecting the data, but that shouldn't exhibit as being "shallow or uneven". Either it's recorded or it's not. If the data is getting lost in process, it shows up as a glitch, noise or dropouts. It's not like analog where you might have inconsistency due to poor contact of the tape.

If you have an example of this uneven sound, post a sample (attach an MP3 if you can).

It will not be the computer at fault. Your i7 is plenty.
I suggest the problem is with the plugins and virtual instruments.
Their algorithms may be flawed, and the coding of those algorithms may be deficient.
It is just the same as having sloppily designed analogue circuitry.
When you plug together a long string of poor analogue devices, you end up with mush.
Just the same for digital modelling of analogue.

Check that your speakers are in phase. play a track with a lot of bass then pan to the left or right , if you hear more bass when panned its possible you have one speaker out of phase and that would make your tracks sound thin/shallow.

Cubase 12 sounds exactly the same as all the ones before. It is neutral. If you have discounted the interfaces, marks idea might well be what is happening, because mine sounds absolutely fine, and my processor is less powerful than yours but processors don’t change the sound. Computer, interface, speakers. If they work without doing the wrong things, your weird audio is somewhere else. What’s it like through headphones? One thought. It is using the proper driver? My computer once replaced the presonus driver with something generic and this did sound thin and weedy. Reinstalling the proper driver cured it. Worth checking some update did not detect the windows generic was was correct and your specific one was not, and ‘fixed’ it for you.

Back