A possible route out of writer’s block

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
I’ve found this a few times to be a useful way of writing a song. It’s not exclusively aimed at someone with writer’s block ~ anyone can adopt this method. Maybe many of you already have.

Variation 1.

Take a song, any song. It could be a song you love, a song you can’t stand or one you’re indifferent to. It doesn’t matter really, because all it is going to be is your initial template.

Copy the song in its fullness onto a track of whatever you record on. It’s important that you either slow down or speed up your recorder so that the song you’re selecting ends up in a different key and at a different speed to the way you’ve always known it. How much you speed up or slow down is entirely up to you but that song should be a slowed or speeded-up version of its normal self. Speed up or slow down by semitones so that it is easier to find the key or chords or notes.

At this point, work out the chord structure or note structure of the song you’ve copied into your multitracker. Once you’ve done that, record that chord sequence or note sequence onto a track. The instrument that you use is going to be a matter of whatever you’re comfortable with. Guitar ? Piano ? Trumpet ? Organ ? Bass guitar ? Violin ? It’s only you that can decide and do it. There are loads of instruments out there.

Once you have recorded the sequence, and this is the first really testing part, you need to work out your own melody to that sequence. This may come quickly, it might take a long time. It’s important to stick to it. Don’t worry if it sounds corny or predictable ~ for those that have some kind of block, work on the basis that beggars can’t be choosers, even if that statement is not entirely true all the time. And whatever you do, don’t sound like your template song !

Once you have a melody to fit the sequence, you are on the road to a song and it is at this point that you can start to think of other instruments unless you happen to be a soloist. Keep the original song for time purposes only and if you happen to use drums or percussion, you have the choice of either playing to the template or using a click and getting as close to the tempo of the template as possible. You may even, once you have the chord or note sequence, just record a click anyway and do away with that original song. There are different ways to go about this. Just be inventive and take the approach that anything is worth trying.

I can’t tell you how to fit other instruments because only you can know what you want and what you have access to.

And what about lyrics ?

Well, if there are to be lyrics, I suggest you don’t be precious. Just write anything. Literally. Whether it makes sense or not. Whether it tells a complete story or not. Whether it comes over as a rant or not. Of course, if you have strong lyrical ideas, then ignore what I’ve said and go for it. But if you haven’t then do a 60s Dylan and write any old words. Someone will think they are pregnant with meaning. And if they don’t, so what ? Learn to have fun with writing songs. Not every song is going to be a literary masterpiece that wins the Booker prize. Some of my favourite songs I’ve written have atrocious lyrics. And some of the songs I’m kind of ‘meh’ about have what I consider to be great lyrics. But the song is anything but.

Keep the song short and sweet to start with, unless you’re feeling ambitious. As you increase in confidence, you’ll expand on your ideas.

Above all, have fun.

I’ve found this a few times to be a useful way of writing a song. It’s not exclusively aimed at someone with writer’s block ~ anyone can adopt this method. Maybe many of you already have.

Variation 1.

Take a song, any song. It could be a song you love, a song you can’t stand or one you’re indifferent to. It doesn’t matter really, because all it is going to be is your initial template.

Copy the song in its fullness onto a track of whatever you record on. It’s important that you either slow down or speed up your recorder so that the song you’re selecting ends up in a different key and at a different speed to the way you’ve always known it. How much you speed up or slow down is entirely up to you but that song should be a slowed or speeded-up version of its normal self. Speed up or slow down by semitones so that it is easier to find the key or chords or notes.

At this point, work out the chord structure or note structure of the song you’ve copied into your multitracker. Once you’ve done that, record that chord sequence or note sequence onto a track. The instrument that you use is going to be a matter of whatever you’re comfortable with. Guitar ? Piano ? Trumpet ? Organ ? Bass guitar ? Violin ? It’s only you that can decide and do it. There are loads of instruments out there.

Once you have recorded the sequence, and this is the first really testing part, you need to work out your own melody to that sequence. This may come quickly, it might take a long time. It’s important to stick to it. Don’t worry if it sounds corny or predictable ~ for those that have some kind of block, work on the basis that beggars can’t be choosers, even if that statement is not entirely true all the time. And whatever you do, don’t sound like your template song !

Once you have a melody to fit the sequence, you are on the road to a song and it is at this point that you can start to think of other instruments unless you happen to be a soloist. Keep the original song for time purposes only and if you happen to use drums or percussion, you have the choice of either playing to the template or using a click and getting as close to the tempo of the template as possible. You may even, once you have the chord or note sequence, just record a click anyway and do away with that original song. There are different ways to go about this. Just be inventive and take the approach that anything is worth trying.

I can’t tell you how to fit other instruments because only you can know what you want and what you have access to.

And what about lyrics ?

Well, if there are to be lyrics, I suggest you don’t be precious. Just write anything. Literally. Whether it makes sense or not. Whether it tells a complete story or not. Whether it comes over as a rant or not. Of course, if you have strong lyrical ideas, then ignore what I’ve said and go for it. But if you haven’t then do a 60s Dylan and write any old words. Someone will think they are pregnant with meaning. And if they don’t, so what ? Learn to have fun with writing songs. Not every song is going to be a literary masterpiece that wins the Booker prize. Some of my favourite songs I’ve written have atrocious lyrics. And some of the songs I’m kind of ‘meh’ about have what I consider to be great lyrics. But the song is anything but.

Keep the song short and sweet to start with, unless you’re feeling ambitious. As you increase in confidence, you’ll expand on your ideas.

Above all, have fun.
I am not a writer per se Grim but I have developed simple ideas for some young writers in the past. I don't know if there is such a thing as a perfect popular song but I think Hey Jude comes pretty close. Simple first 2 verses then a lovely bass line run down on the next section and the powerful ending of 3 chords. Its quite simple genius.
I did watch a lovely documentary with Guy Chambers and Rufus Wainright collaberating together and Rufus was saying .... I can write all of this complicated piano music but I cant write a pop song... how do you do it Guy? .. it is an art in itself.... 🥰🥰🥰🥰

These are interesting concepts that I've not heard heard before and seem definitely worth a try for next time when I'm blocked.

Variation 1.

And what about lyrics ?

Above all, have fun.

I assume you're talking about writing hits.

Or were you thinking - just writing anything?

This is a song called "Mysteries and metaphors."
View attachment Mysteries and Metaphors.mp3
The verses are based on this piece from the intro of a kids programme I used to watch as a very small child back in 1966 or 67. The guy that wrote all the music for "Trumpton" and its associated shows, "Camberwick Green" and "Chigley" was called Freddie Phillips, in my opinion, one of the great songwriters of my lifetime. He did absolute wonders with a couple of acoustic guitars and random bits of percussion.
Anyway, this was the template of my verses:

starting at about the 28 second mark. As I was listening to the piece last spring/summer, as I often do, I was writing my own melodies and accompaniments to it and it occurred to me that I could flesh out the piece, then take it away and I'd be left with something sort of original. I'd written the words to the verses years ago and recorded the mid-section at the end of 2019 {the drummer I recorded with was on holiday over from the USA and was the first person I ever knew that actually had covid-19}. At the time, I had a vague idea how it would go, but it was based on a song I'd heard on the radio once in the middle of a delivery to a company I used to deliver stationery to. It was striking and I haven't a clue what it was called and who it was by and my attention, in any case, was diluted by the person, Leila, that I used to deliver the stuff to {she was gorgeous} as we used to talk a lot over the years. They had a huge aquarium there and my son used to love the fishes and Leila's dog when it was around.
Anyway......
So when I got out and back to my van, what I was humming in my head was already a half-heard corrupted version. And what I hummed into my dictaphone, even more so. But when I was eventually putting this song together, all those fragments were worked into something that made sense and I added other bits here and there. It's a real cat, by the way, miaowing and my son's friend did the trumpet parts.
I partly wish I had sung it before my thyroid op because it is in a rather low octave, but it helps disguise the subject matter. And besides, before my thyroidectomy in 2017, it didn't occur to me to use the Trumpton intro as a template. Anyway, it's an example of what I was talking about in the opening post.

Back