IR and convolution on cans - how far we are from this?

I think even if it were to become possible to somehow fake studio monitors in headphones the system would be expensive.

I liken it to amp sims. There is only 1 that comes close enough to the original to fool me, but it costs $2k.

And even as good as it sounds, most people I encounter would still prefer the real thing.

what amp sim costs 2k? that would be a crazy bad purchase.

I got a buddy with that. Expensive high end stereo shit sound. Lol.

Sad thing is he has toured with some heavyweights and knows better.
:D

I got a buddy with that. Expensive high end stereo shit sound. Lol.

Sad thing is he has toured with some heavyweights and knows better.
:D

A lot of "heavyweights" use those things. For modelers, they are pretty much top of the line.

AxeFX. Modern digital douchebaggery for modern digital douchebags.

it just seems like such an awful buy because for that price you can get an amazing vintage amp that will actually appreciate in value. let me think, a vintage fender or an amp sim..........................

wow.

i mean i get recording quiet at home but just use lepou for free.

AxeFX. Modern digital douchebaggery for modern digital douchebags.

Actually I was talking about the Kemper. I own a DR and 5150 and TBH in the video below I can't tell the difference, which is rare.

I don't think the AxeFx is as convincing.

it just seems like such an awful buy because for that price you can get an amazing vintage amp that will actually appreciate in value. let me think, a vintage fender or an amp sim..........................

wow.

i mean i get recording quiet at home but just use lepou for free.
touring with vintage amps is a good way to wear them out, break them, get them stolen.

Besides, they are big and heavy. Space and weight are considerations on tour. Especially when you are relegated to sub-1500 seaters.

Most of the guys I know who record with vintage or boutique amps tour with something newer and more pedestrian. Sometimes it's for endorsement reasons, sometimes it's just for reliability / consistency.

Playing live the amps are miked to the PA system, and with the exception of the beautiful old 'music halls' and an ideal PA system, the 'boutique' sound would be indistinguishable from a more pedestrian sound.

That might be true for the pissants in the crowd, but what about the player? Why do guys choose the gear they choose? Because they like the way it feels, sounds, and how they play through it. I don't quite understand the idea that a guy will be super particular about his guitar, but any old amp, or modeler, will do? In some situations that's probably fine. I know for me, I like playing through my own amps. I think most people would on our smaller scale gig world, unless they have an opportunity to use someone else's better stuff. Even then they still might prefer their own.

Once you're in the situation where most of what you hear of your guitar comes through the monitors, most of the "feel" of the amp has changed to the point that it doesn't matter.

The biggest tone advantage of modelers on tour is consistency. The sound doesn't change with temperture, humidity or altitude.

Would you really want to tour with some old, relatively irreplaceable amps?

Would you really want to tour with some old, relatively irreplaceable amps?

No, I'd tour with a reasonable replacement. That would not include sims and modelers.

And if we're just going by what the big dogs do, well they still use amps too, so there must be something to it.

Only the older ones. But of course, only older acts tend to be able to do gigs over 1500 seats, so the rules are a bit different.

IDK dude. Judging from things like PremierGuitar's Rig Rundowns, there's still a whole lot of "real" amps out there on the road.

Only the older ones. But of course, only older acts tend to be able to do gigs over 1500 seats, so the rules are a bit different.

Uh, no. Young, old, big, small, most guys, the overwhelming majority, still use amps. Thank God for that.

And yeah, I know Yngwie's 50 stage stacks are empty and/or not plugged in. But one or two of them is.

You know who uses sim/modeler units live? Mallcore bands and uber-processed backing track shit that has to sound exactly like the record every single time like TSO.

---------- Update ----------

IDK dude. Judging from things like PremierGuitar's Rig Rundowns, there's still a whole lot of "real" amps out there on the road.

I've only seen one of those episodes that showcases an AxeFx. Coheed an Cambria. But I haven't watched them all. Maybe there are more. Out of the 100 or so bands I saw last year, they all used amps. Every one of them.

Sorry, I was more talking about the boutique amps on the road than the sims. Rereading what I wrote, I realized I wasn't clear.

And yeah, I know Yngwie's 50 stage stacks are empty and/or not plugged in. But one or two of them is.

That's fairly common. Brian May and Joe Bonnamasa do that same shit. Seems kinda lame/fake to me but they are sponsored and companies like Marshall like to splash their company logo all over the stage.

Back