IR and convolution on cans - how far we are from this?

Anyway, I think the question in the OP is interesting to think about, and even test - even if you don't think it will bear fruit in terms of a final mix. We are acknowledging that testing a mix on headphones is a fine thing to do - I don't think that's controversial. Why not dabble in headphone mixes so you can have an experience in understanding what is and is not caught there vs monitors?

I would never do exclusive headphones for a final mix, but I have a decent room with tons of bass traps and acceptable monitors. If I didn't, I'd still be trying.

That's fairly common. Brian May and Joe Bonnamasa do that same shit. Seems kinda lame/fake to me but they are sponsored and companies like Marshall like to splash their company logo all over the stage.

Not only that, it does look cool to the crowd people that don't know any better. Hell, I do know better, and even I get a kick out of seeing 20 Marshall stacks on one stage. It's hilarious.

You know who uses sim/modeler units live? Mallcore bands and uber-processed backing track shit that has to sound exactly like the record every single time like TSO.

TSO using modelers? Not from what I understand. They have guitar amps in an iso set up behind stage. We need Henry (moresound) to join in this conversation - he was doing the sound for them the last few years in Manchester, NH.

But I do agree - most guitarists are still using amps. They're not bringing the boutique amps they use for studio work on the road with them, though. Standard issue Fenders, Marshalls, Mesas that they can get replaced in any city if something breaks down.

TSO using modelers? Not from what I understand. They have guitar amps in an iso set up behind stage. We need Henry (moresound) to join in this conversation - he was doing the sound for them the last few years in Manchester, NH.

I don't know for 100% sure. I've read that they use AxeFx units because they need absolute nail-the-recording-repeatability and lots of effects all the time. That's what I've read. Maybe it's wrong. I sure hope they use amps, but they're the kind of situation where tone patches on a sim unit would be handy.

TO is a bunch of different "bands". I would assume that, depending on who the guitar players are in which version of it, they will use what they are personally comfortable with.

That's fairly common. Brian May and Joe Bonnamasa do that same shit. Seems kinda lame/fake to me but they are sponsored and companies like Marshall like to splash their company logo all over the stage.

I don't think Brian May does that.
His backline is usually 9 ac30s. Three are in use (dry+stereo effects, I think), and 6 are double backup.
I'm not certain of the specifics, but I'm pretty sure everything he has is real and for a reason.

His backline is usually 9 ac30s. Three are in use (dry+stereo effects, I think), and 6 are double backup.
I'm not certain of the specifics, but I'm pretty sure everything he has is real and for a reason.

I agree. Brian May's little monument of AC30s is legit as far as I know.

yeah, Brian May has 3 dummy amps sitting on the top row. They are just spare unused speakers. The bottom three that you see are spare early 70s amps that are not in use. The real three he is using are heavily modified and they aren't the ones you see on stage. The 6 people see on stage aren't doing anything.

Go to the 28 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_OamX-PA8

yeah, Brian May has 3 dummy amps sitting on the top row. They are just spare unused speakers. The bottom three that you see are spare early 70s amps that are not in use. The real three he is using are heavily modified and they aren't the ones you see on stage. The 6 people see on stage aren't doing anything.

Go to the 28 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_OamX-PA8

Did you even watch the video? The top 3 are spares for speakers. The middle three are ready-to-go backups. The bottom three are wet-dry-wet...meaning they're on and blaring sound. Why would they mic dummy cabs?

Did you even watch the video? The top 3 are spares for speakers. The middle three are ready-to-go backups. The bottom three are wet-dry-wet...meaning they're on and blaring sound. Why would they mic dummy cabs?

Right, so it looks like he's got 9 amps (3 dummies, 3 spares, 3 modded amps actually in use), but he's using 3.

I think even if it were to become possible to somehow fake studio monitors in headphones the system would be expensive.

I liken it to amp sims. There is only 1 that comes close enough to the original to fool me, but it costs $2k.

And even as good as it sounds, most people I encounter would still prefer the real thing.

I don't have speakers anymore and have been reduced to cans. It takes me an average of 30+ tweaks to my rough and listening on car, buds, radio, stereo and other stuff to get the mix anywhere close. All in all it takes me about 2 weeks to get anywhere a mix I like. After about 2 months of this I am just at the point where I have learned the cans I am using so it will probably take a little less next song. AND my mixes suck lol

Right, so it looks like he's got 9 amps (3 dummies, 3 spares, 3 modded amps actually in use), but he's using 3.

Not dummies. Well, the guy used the word then hesitated.
He hesitated because dummy means fake.

Brian's desire for stereo effects is his thing and that multiplies everything by three.
Taking that out of the equation he has his main amp, one backup, and a backup driver/cab.

Not all together unreasonable when you're touring the world, you're Brian May, and you insist on using old valve amps. :p

I'm just amazed at how long this thread has been going and how many twists and turns it has taken. :)

I'm just amazed at how long this thread has been going and how many twists and turns it has taken. :)

Indeed!

:)

Unfortunately mostly of the contributors didn't got the real spirit of the thread and were captured by the good old 'my point is better' booby trap. It turned what could be a serious discussion into an ordinary collection of fights. But heck, I chuckled a lot reading some of the argumentations!

:laughings:

Back