Introduction: My struggle with home recording

I guess it's not accurate to say I never tried. I eventually DID later on in my 20s. But it just confirmed what I already knew. I spent my whole 20s in the "self-improvement" mindset. I was going to "build my physique" and finally "get the woman I want". I set about this goal, but it never amounted to anything. Just a string of rejections, ghostings, humiliations, etc... I have no interest in re-igniting that again. Like I said, there is no species on earth where all males get to breed. That's just the way nature handles bad genes (or one of the ways).

I also just no longer have any desire for women or for sex. That whole part of my brain is scar tissue at this point. It is 100% impossible for me do anything remotely resembling intimacy with a woman. They might as well be some alien species. I have no connection to them, and it's not even conceivable that I could.

I'm not about to go out and "live life".

What would that even entail? I can't attract women. If I went to a bar I'd just be sitting by myself looking all awkward. I don't really know what you mean by that. What is one supposed to do when they "go live life"?

I'm not about to go out and "live life".

What would that even entail? I
When I was about 20, my woman and I were on the rocks fighting . it was a big deal to her for us to makeup and get along during this trip. Visiting her old friends in Tennessee. I said id do my best. after arrival and greetings. It was 3 couples. 1 car. 1 4x4. We promptly went out to a restaurant and started ordering beers. After dinner feeling the drinks, the group split up into guys and girls. We had rung up a hell of a tab. we were all wasted, not thinking about tomorrow. The boys now were in the 4x4..All of sudden on the way home the driver pulls over to the side and waves the girls on back to the house. The boys had hunting rifles in the back. and ammo. The driver said 'lets go hunt wild dogs'. At night. Drunk. From the back of a pick up 4x4. I looked at my girl as she drove away , saying 'try and get along with everyone'....So the boys piled in the bed, and started shooting rifles in the air as we drove off into some open field. Some dude yelling' dingo stole my baby,,dingo stole my baby'.

There I was engaged in some socio-erotic animal hunt at midnight, in the middle of a Tennessee field with good old boys..fuck me...I wanted nothing to do with murdering animals...but had to act it out to fit in..They had me work the spotlight while they shot controlled bursts into the night..I would wave the thing around, hoping they could not see what they shot at....The things I did for that woman...But man did she smell nice...When she was drunk her lips tasted like candy..She loved getting high..messing around.

The truth is , you never know what it will take, at any given moment. If youre smart, you will roll with the punches..

Last edited:
I think that it's great that you're trying to learn about recording and improve your skills. I know how frustrating it can be when you're struggling to get things to sound the way you want them to.

One thing that might help is if you take some time to practice and learn more about the basics of recording. There are a lot of great tutorials out there, and it might help to watch some videos or read some articles on basic recording techniques. This can help give you a better foundation so that you can start building on your skills.

Another thing that might help is finding someone who can help mentor you and give you advice. There are often online communities or forums where people can offer feedback and helpful tips, and this might be a good way to get started.

I hope that these suggestions are helpful, and I wish you the best of luck with your music recordings!

--
Jason Hook. I enjoy remixing old songs using Audacity together with UnMixIt for vocal removal or isolation

Another thing that might help is finding someone who can help mentor you and give you advice. There are often online communities or forums where people can offer feedback and helpful tips, and this might be a good way to get started.
Yes, I totally agree. I'm actually trying to look for a mentor with a studio who would be willing to take me under their wing. I'm very close to getting somewhere on my own. It's just been a frustrating struggle up to this point.

@LazerBeakShiek I'll read and respond to what you wrote later. I'm busy rn

Sorry, but after reading all the comments, I've gotten a very different vibe....

Troll-e1324415999156.png

Good luck... I'm done here.

4 out of 5 times , I don't understand half of whats going on.
Don't sweat it. I'm a weird guy. I get pissed off and say extreme things. But only about things I really care about. On the other hand, I'm one of the most normal dudes you'll ever meet in some respects.

In other news. I recently picked up a AKG condenser mic for acoustic and vocal recording. Just plugged the thing up for the first time today. No knowledge of mic placement for acoustic guitars, no post editing. Just plug up and play with this one. Can you find anything wrong with this clip?

Attachments

• Acoustic Intro(2).mp3
    705.1 KB
Do you want to know? Or do you want us to tell you it’s wonderful? So, based on your previous posts, here are my two responses.
it’s wonderful, clean and clear with some decent playing.

it’s very HF prominent, and the finger noise pops out so much it made me wince because the volume was up high and I didn’t expect it.

I suppose the question is really about you. Do you want a warm mellow recording, or a hard bright one. I wish I could play like you, but I can’t, but for me, the sound would depend on what I needed. A bright guitar to cut through and otherwise murky track? It would work in a mix for that, but if the guitar was intended to be the featured source, I’d want far less noise from the left hand.

what do YOU think of it? I presume you tried different placements and this was your preference.

Do you want to know? Or do you want us to tell you it’s wonderful? So, based on your previous posts, here are my two responses.
it’s wonderful, clean and clear with some decent playing.

it’s very HF prominent, and the finger noise pops out so much it made me wince because the volume was up high and I didn’t expect it.

I suppose the question is really about you. Do you want a warm mellow recording, or a hard bright one. I wish I could play like you, but I can’t, but for me, the sound would depend on what I needed. A bright guitar to cut through and otherwise murky track? It would work in a mix for that, but if the guitar was intended to be the featured source, I’d want far less noise from the left hand.

what do YOU think of it? I presume you tried different placements and this was your preference.
I think it sounds nice and warm, but obviously not completely professional. I know nothing about mic placement for acoustic, which is why I posted it.

I just kind of put the mic up close to the cavity, probably about 3 inches away. Made sure the input gain was hitting about the yellow on the hard strums, then hit record. My room is not treated whatsoever. No post-editing or polishing. Just exported immediately.

That's actually a pick, but it does sound fingerpicked. It would have actually been easier to fingerpick since its a lot of string skipping, but my genre is kind of a "pick" genre.

BTW, I never said don't criticize me. I said don't tell me I'm screwed or that I should give up, which is what somebody did. I said "encouragement" only. That's not the same as saying "praise" and "critical acclaim" only.

Right - I've tried it on two other systems and the tone of the guitar is there - but the fingers on the strings are very, very loud.

In general, this probably means it's one of two things - most likely, placement. Your mic angle to the sound hole is allowing it's side capture (assuming it's cardioid) to be physically closer to the neck, so if this is so, try the mic on the other side of the sound hole. Imagine the mic as a torch, and think where the light falls. The neck needs to be much darker - does that make sense?

The other possibility is that the mic has a presence peak exactly where the guitar has it's string slide noises - making them stand out. You've given me an idea for another video actually - my acoustic is pretty horrible sounding so difficult to make sound nice and I have a couple of SDC mics that are oppoiste ends of the price scale. Maybe I'll see if I can replicate the sort of problem you have?

Right - I've tried it on two other systems and the tone of the guitar is there - but the fingers on the strings are very, very loud.

In general, this probably means it's one of two things - most likely, placement. Your mic angle to the sound hole is allowing it's side capture (assuming it's cardioid) to be physically closer to the neck, so if this is so, try the mic on the other side of the sound hole. Imagine the mic as a torch, and think where the light falls. The neck needs to be much darker - does that make sense?

The other possibility is that the mic has a presence peak exactly where the guitar has it's string slide noises - making them stand out. You've given me an idea for another video actually - my acoustic is pretty horrible sounding so difficult to make sound nice and I have a couple of SDC mics that are oppoiste ends of the price scale. Maybe I'll see if I can replicate the sort of problem you have?
Hmm... so is the finger noise really that big of a deal? Don't some people like to hear the finger noise from the sliding and such? I know I kind of like it.

I do like the comparison to holding a torch. Makes sense. Good way to visualize it.

My mic is a AKG P120

Back