Introducing the Hot Carls

it sounds better, but I think the limitor is a bit too much. for the intro at least, when the music it isn't as notisable. I think a copressor would have sufficed.
other than that the guitar and "drums" sound alot better.

Greg_L said:
Lol. Its the same old junk, just louder. :p
NO IT'S NOT. I uncompressed the drums and gave less attack and release to the bass, I lowered the vocals, added low end to the guits and raised them up, brought up the snare and kick, and eqed the intro. ;)

myhatbroke said:
NO IT'S NOT. I uncompressed the drums and gave less attack and release to the bass, I lowered the vocals, added low end to the guits and raised them up, brought up the snare and kick, and eqed the intro. ;)
Well I couldn't tell because the original version isn't there to compare it to.

myhatbroke said:

You polished a turd. :rolleyes: If you have any interest in recording and music whatsoever, you have to take what you have and redo it. Re-write, re-record, blah blah. Cmon man, you look the fool by saying you messed with the technical aspects but yet didnt find the time to mess with the musical ones. You cant polish a turd.

DavidK said:
You polished a turd. :rolleyes: If you have any interest in recording and music whatsoever, you have to take what you have and redo it. Re-write, re-record, blah blah. Cmon man, you look the fool by saying you messed with the technical aspects but yet didnt find the time to mess with the musical ones. You cant polish a turd.
Ofcourse! We're going to redo it. I'm waiting on some new gear that I got first though.

it's all good MHB, there is nothing wrong with getting good at polishing turds...you can learn alot by doing so....While I agree if you want it to be taken seriously, ya gotta re-track it all and pay more attention to what your laying down on the tracks...

Get the music tight first then worry about the sonic qualities of each instrument before you lay down the 1st tracks...

But on this mix, the guitars are too loud over powering everything else...

and bring up the lead...it's buried...

Will you please learn how to play on time. And what with the off-beat gang vocal crap you seem to do in everything. Man you guys really suck.

Hey MHB - I just listened to your song. I read the whole thread first, then listened. Here's my reaction:

Basicly I agree with David K. It does remind me a little of the Beasties. It's sloppy but it does sound "fun", which isn't easy to capture. But to really pull off a song like that it needs to be tight enough to shave with. Really sharp. The only way to do THAT is practice it until it's as easy as farting.

Now, IF you are interested in "elevating" your band to a higher, more professional level, I agree that some old Zappa would be good inspirational listening. I would suggest something else: some old ACDC. Find the "Highway to Hell" album and listen to it. They nail the kind of vibe that you seem to be aiming for - heavy and wicked and yet funny at the same time. In particular a song called "Big Balls". Simple rock riffs that are tight down to the micro second.

But HOWEVER.... just so you understand where I'm coming from: my band has actually chosen to let our musical standards "slide". All three of us now treat this as a fun hobby and nothing more, and we are happy to produce the ocasional fun turd. I would recomend that you resign yourself to being a student first and a turd producer second, and just have fun doing it.

Guessing about what kind of hardware you are working with, I thought the sound was pretty good. It's actualy pretty good practice to "polish turds", you will get more familiar with your hardware and software.

Back