Integrating AD/DA converters into an existing DAW and interface?

cfg

I remember asking a similar question somewhere a long time ago, but I'm not sure the answers stuck, because I'm still puzzled.

I have a Tascam 16X08 interface, and Reaper, and I assume the Tascam has an AD/DA converter in it now. I've got my eye on the Universal Audio 4-710D, which has AD/DA converters in it that have been praised by reviewers, but I'm puzzled as to how I would actually integrate them in my existing system. If I'm tracking through a decent preamp, say either my BAE 1073 DMP, or the 4-710D, and the signals are leaving the preamp and running into my Tascam interface, which of course sends signal to my computer and DAW, where would the fine converters of the 4-710D actually fit in to the scheme of things?

If the universal audio has a digital output, you would need to connect that to a digital input of the tascam interface. If the tascam interface doesn't have a digital input, you can't do it.

Realistically, you aren't going to hear the difference in converters. The difference between the best converters and the converters in the cheapest interfaces is pretty subtle.

Some interesting reading on the subject :

I don't see any digital I/O on the 16x08 so I don't think you will be able to use the converters on the preamp.

Normally you would connect an ADAT, S/PDIF or AES3 output to the matching input on the interface and set the interface to slave to either that input or the word clock connection on a BNC terminated 75 ohm cable.

The Tascam 16x08 does NOT have any digital I/O available, only mic and line inputs. For digital I/O you would either need something like the Focusrite 18i20, or one of the new Tascam 208i, both of which have optical I/O and word clock connections.

The cost of the 4710 and something like the 208i - using the ADAT lightpipe connection is a lot of money. Is your room and monitoring system of the same standard - the differences at this end of the technical market are, as said, small - so the real question is if, for around a grand, you can hear the difference?

I agree with you Rob. I'll bet 99+% of the people in home studios would not be able to tell any difference in the AD/DA converters. That might not have been true 20 years ago, and certainly not with early converters from the 90s. Converter design has improved drastically as the ability to convert at higher bit rates and depths has become the norm. It's far cry from the early days when many designs used 14 bit converters and maxed at 44.1kHz.

The cost of the 4710 and something like the 208i - using the ADAT lightpipe connection is a lot of money. Is your room and monitoring system of the same standard - the differences at this end of the technical market are, as said, small - so the real question is if, for around a grand, you can hear the difference?

My new room sounds pretty good, and I've got two pairs of Tannoy Monitor Gold Dual Concentric speakers, 15" and 12", so I think I've got good monitoring too. But to be sure, ones budget will largely dictate new acquisitions. Only in the last few weeks have I been able to test two top end preamps vs a typical budget minded interface with preamps, and the difference was obvious.

I appreciate all the replies. Admittedly, I'm still struggling somewhat to understand how external AD/DA converters and external clocks are implemented, and the mention of digital I/O might have confused me more, if there are such things as AD/DA converters that are purely analog, but I'll keep studying.

I agree with you Rob. I'll bet 99+% of the people in home studios would not be able to tell any difference in the AD/DA converters. That might not have been true 20 years ago, and certainly not with early converters from the 90s. Converter design has improved drastically as the ability to convert at higher bit rates and depths has become the norm. It's far cry from the early days when many designs used 14 bit converters and maxed at 44.1kHz.
On Gearspace there was a thread where a guy posted some samples between a Behringer and an Aurora. Most people overwhelmingly chose the Behringer. When the reveal happened people lost their shit.

You have the practical/great answers already. There is lot's of hype right now about D to A and A to D converters, lot's of glossy magazine ads and as already stated, if you don't have an top of line playback system (truly) and a room to match, I doubt you are going to hear a difference let alone like one over the other?

On Gearspace there was a thread where a guy posted some samples between a Behringer and an Aurora. Most people overwhelmingly chose the Behringer. When the reveal happened people lost their shit.
Yep. It reminds of when SOS a preamp comparison.

No one could identify anything and they couldn't decide which ones they liked when simply changing only the microphones.

There's no such thing as a purely analog AD/DA because it's converting from analog to digital and digital to analog. To use it me you need some other device with digital input or output.

Since digital signal consist of discrete samples taken at precise intervals, it's necessary to have a clock signal to keep things in perfect time. That clock signal is actually embedded in the normal digital audio signal, but when the digital connections get more complicated it becomes preferable to run the clock signal separately. You always have to be sure your device master/slave settings are correct.

Yep. It reminds of when SOS a preamp comparison.

No one could identify anything and they couldn't decide which ones they liked when simply changing only the microphones.
Another one by SoundOnSound is a comparison where the people chose an ART MPA II over SSLs, Neves, and APIs. Makes me happy I have one.

There's no such thing as a purely analog AD/DA because it's converting from analog to digital and digital to analog. To use it me you need some other device with digital input or output.

Since digital signal consist of discrete samples taken at precise intervals, it's necessary to have a clock signal to keep things in perfect time. That clock signal is actually embedded in the normal digital audio signal, but when the digital connections get more complicated it becomes preferable to run the clock signal separately. You always have to be sure your device master/slave settings are correct.
Thanks. My incorrect phrasing. I suppose I meant to say AD/DA connections that are not lightpipe.

AES/EBU uses an xlr connection and there is spdif that uses an RCA connection. Both are two channels digital connections.

The cool thing about digital is that the type of connection makes no difference. Light pipe or copper has no effect on the sound. Once it's digital, it is what it is.

The cool thing about digital is that the type of connection makes no difference. Light pipe or copper has no effect on the sound. Once it's digital, it is what it is.

Unless something is faulty or poorly designed. Some people seem to deliberately go for poorly designed gear because it sounds different.

Back