Inserts and patchbay

Antony

Hi.

I'm trying to get my mic pres and compressors routed to my dm 4800 via patchbay.
Simply put, pre dm 4800 I had all my outboard patched to the bays and I would use an insert lead from the bay to the relavent insert channel on my analogue desk so I could route a compressor on playback to a channel.
It's clear how to route to an insert on the dm when your recording, but how do I get the inserts to work on playback.
I have logic set so that my output from logic is on dm layer 2 channels 25-48.

Is this anything to do with soft inserts.

Antony.

I don't really know these machines, but I'd bet you can't simply plug an analog compressor into a channel insert and use it for mixdown. That would require DA converters on every channel. Most likely you are stuck with the internal effects or routing through whatever analog outputs you may have and back to an input. I'm sure the manual has the answer.

The inserts on channel 1-24 work as an analogue desk on the way in. My question is can I route those inserts on logic payback. Layer 25-48

The inserts on channel 1-24 work as an analogue desk on the way in.

That's because the inserts are before the AD converters.

My question is can I route those inserts on logic payback. Layer 25-48

Almost certainly not. You may be able to route from a generic analog output to some input, but the analog inserts on the inputs are probably not accessible to the digital audio in the board. Unless you have some pretty special analog compressors you can get just as good results from the ones in the board. One of the reasons to get a digital board is so you don't need all that analog outboard processing.

What I've been doing to get external Compressors and eq into the DM4800 at mix down is use an assignable send(7 or 8 in my case) to go to the patch bay, run though the gear I want and then return to the board through an analog channel insert. This sends my channel output from Logic (Layer 25-48) to external gear and then back to board without going through a Mic Pre again. You could also return the signal using an assigned return, if you have any that you are not using. This is all set up in the Insert Matrix of the routing menu of the DM4800. I use this method a lot to apply an API 527 compressor to my Kik drum output from Logic. I'm satisfied with the results.

Vbass that's great,what I tried in theory was the same, I sent from an aux ( layer 2, my logic returns channel 25 -48) out to effect then back to a line in on layer 1 and recorded back into logic but th latency was terrible.
I see tat by doing that I use the dm pre again which I don't want, how are you configuring the soft insert page. Any pointers or a screen shot.

Antony

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried all possible ways and its simple enough. Assign snare to send 8 to patchbay into compressor then back to assign return 8 routed that in the dm to channel 62. It monitors perfect through the dm but when I press record on logic thats when the latency occurs.
Also did same but came back through channel insert 24 same thing it monitors perfectly but when I press record thats when the latency happens. I cant see the problem with logic as it is set at the lowest latency possible.
What am I missing.

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried all possible ways and its simple enough. Assign snare to send 8 to patchbay into compressor then back to assign return 8 routed that in the dm to channel 62. It monitors perfect through the dm but when I press record on logic thats when the latency occurs.
Also did same but came back through channel insert 24 same thing it monitors perfectly but when I press record thats when the latency happens. I cant see the problem with logic as it is set at the lowest latency possible.
What am I missing.

Turn off software input monitoring in Logic. You should be able to do all your input monitoring through the mixer.

If you want straight factual answers re the DM and routing msg me, despite the opinions of some you
can achieve exactly what you want, people who have no idea about the capabilities or operation of this desk should have there opinions taken with a grain of salt :) I only say this because I own one ;) and have undergone the growing pains, ..so to speak
Cheers D

Back