InnerDream - Screaming Hearts

innerdream

Hello all - hope you are all well

This will be my last song for a while as I'll be writing a new album for most of the remainder of 2011, below on soundclick

Its a classic hard rock / metal powerish ballad for those with a broken heart after the end of a relationship and are longing for a lost love

SoundClick artist: InnerDream - Screaming Hearts

You thoughts, comments on the song, production, mixing are most welcome

Cheers
Paul

the bass is doing something strange. there's too much low-mids or something. and there's no high end definition.

the kick is too clicky for my taste, but it sounds like a trigger. i would like some more snare, maybe more everything drums, clean up some rhythms, and give them a bit more panning spread.

there's some mid-highs, or mids, in the guitars that aren't working.

the lead vox need some EQ'ing. a little bit of mids cut and some high's boosted. what's the chain on it? did you compress? perhaps adjust it.

there's something muddy about this, though it's pretty decent sounding for home recording. you can just tell that the sig chain and gear isn't the best.

the bass is doing something strange. there's too much low-mids or something. and there's no high end definition.

the kick is too clicky for my taste, but it sounds like a trigger. i would like some more snare, maybe more everything drums, clean up some rhythms, and give them a bit more panning spread.

there's some mid-highs, or mids, in the guitars that aren't working.

the lead vox need some EQ'ing. a little bit of mids cut and some high's boosted. what's the chain on it? did you compress? perhaps adjust it.

there's something muddy about this, though it's pretty decent sounding for home recording. you can just tell that the sig chain and gear isn't the best.

cheers for the reply and your feedback - I didnt do any eqing on this track other than cut some of the highs for the acoustic guitar - I wanted to get a really raw sounding track with as little alteration on it as possible, so I was always going for a slightly muddy production sound on this one

the thing about that is, mic's aren't perfect. add to that pre amps, AD converters, monitors, the room...and you've got a tone that isn't exactly raw...it is colored by a lot of things. for me, adding EQ and compression aren't used to make things digital sounding. they're to get them to sound how they sound live. yes, they are used by some to get it to sound unnatural (and that's fine), but that is not their main purpose.

good points made - especially about the recording room - my room is the study in my house and is probably only 10ft by 10ft so not a lot of room and I can tell you its not acoustically treated so will have a breaing on the ambience - I did want to record this track though using as litle hardware / software as possible as I think you can get lost in an endless sea of equipment when producing music - it was good to strip it down to guitar, amp, compressor, mic and a touch of reverb / delay on the guitars / bass / vocals

I thought this was great. Good song and I liked the guitar hook. It does seem a bit bassy and the kick could do with something but that is just being picky picky. I liked this song a lot. Nice one!

I thought this was great. Good song and I liked the guitar hook. It does seem a bit bassy and the kick could do with something but that is just being picky picky. I liked this song a lot. Nice one!

cheers wilko, glad you liked the song. I'm going to go for a similar production sound with my new album when its all eventually done but will definately look to have a bit more high end sparkle to it

Back