Horny Swing Rock Jazz - sorta

K-dub

I've moved off of my prog rock release and started in on an album that I co-authored every song with my college drummer an collaborator, John McLaughlin. No, not THE jazz guy ... he's currently a Celtic Rock guy who is extremely busy this time of year. He's got 3 gigs today alone.

Sometimes John would start the idea, and we'd sort it out together - and other times, he'd just write lyrics for something I started.

This one was his germ. He had a lyric and a rough melody. I developed the chords and arrangement to it.

As usual, ALL comments about anything are always welcome.

Being a collaborative writing effort, this upbeat stuff is much more straight forward than some of the more oddly written prog-ish stuff I've posted as of late. This is straightforward Chicago style swing material - with horn stabs and even a lead section.

Last edited:
Bass is a little boomy. Vocal falls into the back in the beginning but it come alive later. Very nice! Just need to balance the tracks. Good recording.
~Bob

Bass is a little boomy. Vocal falls into the back in the beginning but it come alive later. Very nice! Just need to balance the tracks. Good recording.
~Bob
Thanks for the ears and the thoughts Bob! Totally in agreement.

New mix up top.

Yeah, the bass...but only in the intro to my ears. Snare a taste too present through my earbuds. The mix is bright, but you like bright, right?

Good tune, good arrangement, good delivery. Nice work. It hits like Huey Lewis.

Yeah, the bass...but only in the intro to my ears. Snare a taste too present through my earbuds. The mix is bright, but you like bright, right?

Good tune, good arrangement, good delivery. Nice work. It hits like Huey Lewis.
I pulled the bass back significantly. I happen to like it as a feature, but I think I overdid it in the earlier mixes. I do tend to mix slightly on the brightly side of things ... but hopefully this doesn't tip the scale too far in that direction.

I'd never thought of Huey Lewis - but I COMPLETELY get the reference. It's totally in the vein. I've got another one off this collection that I'd love to hear Steve Perry from Journey sing. :D

Last edited:
Back