importance of multiple overhead mics

Yes, but a full on debate can ensue once there is someone here to argue. I am not that guy, but it will likely come now and destroy this useful thread.

Just sayin...

It must have been God's will that we started having this discussion in this forum!

Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up. Now I'm done. :)

Good lord, now I may have to edit this thread...

Will wait to see if it gets stupid.

The answers have already been given and success has been achieved. And no rib was lost. :)

He said let there be sound
There was sound
Let there be light
There was light
Let there be drums
There was drums!

Let there be guitar
There was guitar
Let there be rock!

Lol. You guys. Thanks for the compliments but this is just regular drum stuff. Proper head selection and good drum tuning is what separates the men from the boys. Use the right heads for your style and tune the drums to sound delicious. Drums are like any other instrument - they have to sound good before you put a mic anywhere near them. A lot of people, even drummers, don't understand the nuances of tuning a drum and/or they're too lazy to actually do it. But it makes sooooooo much difference.

The 12" and 13" tuning thing is tricky. I don't know how or why drum companies decided that a 12 and 13 would be the standard rack tom sizes, but they did, and it's dumb. They're too close in size. A much smarter set up would have 2 inches in diameter separating the tom sizes. 10, 12, 14, 16 or 12, 14, 16, 18. Whatever. You live with what you have. Keith Moon used 3 or 4 of the exact same size rack toms and just tuned them differently. Keith Moon was an awesome player, one of my favorites, but no one ever freaked out about his actual sound.

So in a perfect world, a 12" and 13" tom tuned perfectly to their respective resonant pitches will have enough difference to be noticeable and sound decent. They're different sized drums with different diameters and depths, so naturally they have to sound different. And they do. They just don't really sound different enough. So here's an instance where you need to fudge one of them a little either way. I personally believe that tuning a small drum to a lower pitch sounds better than tuning a larger drum to a higher pitch, so I tune my 12" to be happy where it is and try to get the 13" lower. You have some room to play a little with a 13" drum because it usually has more depth than a 12", and your next drum, usually a 16" floor tom, is tonally way different and far away in the pitch spectrum. So tune your 12" to sound great, tune your 16" to sound great, and fill the gap with the 13". Or hell, just leave it out altogether. Just because you have 3 or 4 or 5 toms that doesn't mean you have to use them all.

Lazy, indeed! The mantra of the average human being:

View attachment 90454

That's a good idea. When all my toms start to get a little out of whack, I'll do the 12 & 16, then the 13. Since right now I have them all making no snare rattle, I'll see if I can just tweak the 12 and/or 13 in one direction and get a little more tone difference between them and still minimize rattle. I just made them this way yesterday... After doing the 18 I started screwing with 12 & 13, and at one point when I found there was no rattle, I jumped for joy, did a running punch into the heavy bag and almost broke my wrist, then cracked a beer to celebrate the fact that my wrist wasn't broken. If only I'd paid attention to the fact that I'd tuned the 12 & 13 to probably the same frequency.

I know you don't care about snare rattle, but I want at least a short respite from it, if I can pull it off. Then I'll be ready again to accept the harsh realities of drumming, such as "snare rattle happens".

There was sound
Let there be light
There was light
Let there be drums
There was drums!

Let there be guitar
There was guitar
Let there be rock!

And wiser words were never spoken...

R.I.P. to one of the gods....

There was sound
Let there be light
There was light
Let there be drums
There was drums!

Let there be guitar
There was guitar
Let there be rock!

Neighbors, no one loves you like he loves you.

And no one cares like he cares!

Neighbors, let us join today in the holy love of God and money

Because neighbors, no one loves you like He loves you.

I know you don't care about snare rattle, but I want at least a short respite from it, if I can pull it off. Then I'll be ready again to accept the harsh realities of drumming, such as "snare rattle happens".

Well I do care about excessive snare rattle. Excessive being subjective. I don't want my snare rattling and buzzing non stop all the time even with cymbal hits. But it's gonna rattle sometimes.

One thing you can do with the snare is slightly detune the bottom head around the wires. If you have the right kind of snare bed, the 4 lugs immediately adjacent to the snare wires can be tuned a little higher or lower to reduce some sympathetic buzz without affecting the snare tone.

Well I do care about excessive snare rattle. Excessive being subjective. I don't want my snare rattling and buzzing non stop all the time even with cymbal hits. But it's gonna rattle sometimes.

One thing you can do with the snare is slightly detune the bottom head around the wires. If you have the right kind of snare bed, the 4 lugs immediately adjacent to the snare wires can be tuned a little higher or lower to reduce some sympathetic buzz without affecting the snare tone.

I'll remember that one, thanks. The worst may be over, though... I think most of the rattle came from the 18, and I plan on checking the tuning on that one constantly from now on.

Neighbors, no one loves you like he loves you.

And no one cares like he cares!

Neighbors, let us join today in the holy love of God and money

Because neighbors, no one loves you like He loves you.

Dood, let it go.

You are surrounded by atheists or similar in the majority. Most don't get their pipes all up unless tragically hurt by those that are not. No need to vent or state the obvious.

Let the good book do what it does to those who read it.

Let it go. :)

Dood, let it go.

You are surrounded by atheists or similar in the majority. Most don't get their pipes all up unless tragically hurt by those that are not. No need to vent or state the obvious.

Let the good book do what it does to those who read it.

Let it go. :)

Those are lyrics from a song that popped into my head when I read the "Let It Be Rock" lyrics. I'm not too concerned with atheists, or whatever it is you're talking about. It was more of a "quid pro quo" exchange after seeing let there be rock. Forgiveness, please. If only there were someone or something who could grant me forgiveness! :)

It's time for the feats of strength! I will tear through this heavily-taped box without cutting it with my keys first!

Cool. When you're done with that I've got a big ol list of grievances I need to air.

By the way....ESPN...Britt McHenry. Not too shabby.

Cool. When you're done with that I've got a big ol list of grievances I need to air.

By the way....ESPN...Britt McHenry. Not too shabby.

Certainly a very talented young lady. I'd like to see her resume. I think that means something different to the kids today.

Back