I'm Done

Jay Mate, where've you been?
Nice intro though the chorussing on the chords is a bit thick for me.
The drums - snare & cymbals in particular - are a tiny bit too far forward.
The bass tone is cool - doesn't get lost in the bass drum.
The bvox work well - good level.
Lead vox are really cool.
The solo tone is a BIG leap from the intro & chords. I'd anticipated a reprise of the intro tone. Good thing to thwart expectations though.
I do like the distorted riffing more than the chorussed interestingly.
the outro is GREAT - another change that was unanticipated.
Nice work, good story too!

Jay Mate, where've you been?
Nice intro though the chorussing on the chords is a bit thick for me.
The drums - snare & cymbals in particular - are a tiny bit too far forward.
The bass tone is cool - doesn't get lost in the bass drum.
The bvox work well - good level.
Lead vox are really cool.
The solo tone is a BIG leap from the intro & chords. I'd anticipated a reprise of the intro tone. Good thing to thwart expectations though.
I do like the distorted riffing more than the chorussed interestingly.
the outro is GREAT - another change that was unanticipated.
Nice work, good story too!
Thanks Ray! Where I've been is a matter of life whipping my ass and then putting me back on track....:D

I second rayc's comments - the bass (kick and guitar), vocals, actually all the parts, are really well done.

About the only think I'd change is the intro acoustic - it's a little too chorused for me, too, but I think mainly it just sounds too compressed to me -- I'm not sure if that's a result of the chorus or a compressor. Without the chopped off attack, I think the chorus would sound OK to me.

Nah, I'm not gonna complain about the chorused guitar in the intro; I like it.

Vocals is what really shines in this song. great tonal quality and blended with the backing vocals nicely. Everything right there in the open and not hiding behind something else. Good mix.

Downloaded this one!!

Thanks man!!

I second rayc's comments - the bass (kick and guitar), vocals, actually all the parts, are really well done.

About the only think I'd change is the intro acoustic - it's a little too chorused for me, too, but I think mainly it just sounds too compressed to me -- I'm not sure if that's a result of the chorus or a compressor. Without the chopped off attack, I think the chorus would sound OK to me.
I'll try tweaking that asap, thanks for your time.:cool::D

Nah, I'm not gonna complain about the chorused guitar in the intro; I like it.

Vocals is what really shines in this song. great tonal quality and blended with the backing vocals nicely. Everything right there in the open and not hiding behind something else. Good mix.

Downloaded this one!!

Thanks man!!
Quite a compliment man....thanks:cool::D

Cool song. I like your voice, and I think the background vocals are a nice touch. I think the drums are too loud overall, and the kick/toms are too loud relative to the cymbals.

I like the leads, but I think the tone is too over the top for the bed tracks. The way you end the song is very effective.

Nice chops, man.

P.S. Jazz Chorus?

i try not to read previous comments ..so the begining sounded detached from the main body of the song ..probably a mix issue.... the vocal had a great 3d feel throughout the main body of the song..fantastic .. the lead break guitar towards the end was totally out of character and detached from the main song.. mainly i would say because it sounded like he was using some heavy metal pedal ..it needs to be bluesy valvey feel to meld with the rest of the track ..for sure.

This is a great song, Jay. I didn't find anything wrong with the intro and I like the heavy guitar sound in the end (but then I'm a heavy guy....:D). I especially liked the lyrics, they convey the right picture of the theme.

Joey :):):):)

Mcycle intro?
A nice remix - seems a fair bit clearer than I recalled - & I had no mud issues with the 1st.
THe transition from chorused to crunch guitars seems to work better too.
Well done.

Hey JP, nice track man. You have that oldschool thick country voice that I remember listening to growing up.

Overall I think this is a nice track. I do have a couple of personal opinions as well.

I like the guitar intro, it seems less muffled, and sparkles more on the high end now. The vocals are clear and full sounding and the harmonies are blended well. I also like how there is really good separation between the kick and bass guitar. To me, the kick drum seems a little thick, and maybe a little over compressed. I wouldn't mind hearing a little more attack on the kick, soften the low end boost (around 60hz?) as well as the compression, and attenuate the volume just slightly and the bass guitar will melt right into the kick while maintaining the good separation that you have now. Is there a compressor on your master bus? It sounds like the kick is causing dynamic "pumping" on your master bus compressor. This will probably clear itself up once you adjust the EQ and compressor on your kick drum. Lastly, you might consider putting a little more verb on the entire drum kit, and a little extra on the cymbals. I'm not a big fan of the cymbals, especially the ride. :(

Other than that, like I said I think it's a nice track, and there are very noticeable improvements on the remix.

Well done, and I hope this helps!

Nick

Last edited:
yup nice tune....I think the drums worked for me but Im no expert...they always seem to be the instrument that needs the most adjusting in mixes

good performance and well written tune :)

Hey JP, nice track man. You have that oldschool thick country voice that I remember listening to growing up.

Overall I think this is a nice track. I do have a couple of personal opinions as well.

I like the guitar intro, it seems less muffled, and sparkles more on the high end now. The vocals are clear and full sounding and the harmonies are blended well. I also like how there is really good separation between the kick and bass guitar. To me, the kick drum seems a little thick, and maybe a little over compressed. I wouldn't mind hearing a little more attack on the kick, soften the low end boost (around 60hz?) as well as the compression, and attenuate the volume just slightly and the bass guitar will melt right into the kick while maintaining the good separation that you have now. Is there a compressor on your master bus? It sounds like the kick is causing dynamic "pumping" on your master bus compressor. This will probably clear itself up once you adjust the EQ and compressor on your kick drum. Lastly, you might consider putting a little more verb on the entire drum kit, and a little extra on the cymbals. I'm not a big fan of the cymbals, especially the ride. :(

Other than that, like I said I think it's a nice track, and there are very noticeable improvements on the remix.

Well done, and I hope this helps!

Nick
Thanks for the time you took to listen! I think I'm stuck with the drums being what they are......cheap electronics(dd55 yamaha) I've tried several things and this is as good as it gets. My space is to small to mic up the real drums and get any kind of good sound out of them.:(

Just took a listen...the vocals shine on this one. You have a great voice for this kind of thing and I am always impressed with your singing.

I hear you on the drums. I have a cheaper version of the yamaha thing you have...a DDsomethingerother (22?)...anyway, I think you did well with what you have, although I found the level a little high.

I thought the tone on the solo seemed a bit odd compared to the other instrument sounds...I dunno, I just expected more of an organic kind of sound, but I tend to shy away from more modern guitar sounds.

Anyway, good job on this man.:)

Your voice is very good. The vocals are definately awesome. I like the lead tone, just not the rythym tone at the end. The distortion is too gainy. Drums are kinda loud and boxy sounding. Fix those things and your golden.

Back