If you had to, could you produce a solid recording with a single $100 mic?

Made this yesterday with 1 mic (shure 58) and a home stereo for monitoring. If I were a betting man, I'd guess the mic isn't even close to being the biggest problem with the recording, but this was just a songwriting session.

http://faq.ath.cx/index.php?query=a130.html

I think someone more capable than me could make a radio-playable recording with a single microphone.

MadTiger3000 said:
I concur. I am wondering 'who you are' myself. What creds did Slipperman relate?

Slipperman prefers to be anonymous, but I can tell you the man is big, he has a number of rooms. His studio A has a Neve 9098i and his mic locker is a place where all of us will drool.

Besides that, he's one of the funniest guys around.

Han said:
Slipperman prefers to be anonymous, but I can tell you the man is big, he has a number of rooms. His studio A has a Neve 9098i and his mic locker is a place where all of us will drool.

Besides that, he's one of the funniest guys around.

Slipperman is easy to find. He does have some of the best equipments and fantastick rooms. Sometimes his point is kind'a lost but he is a great talent.

Could he make a great album with one mic less than $100?

Yes. If you have great rooms, great pre-amps and great musician's with great sounding instruments. The mic would be a moot point here. It would take a ton of EQ and some juggling.

Home recording would be out of the question though. The mic is much more of an obstacle here.

jeffree said:
A QUESTION FOR THE MORE EXPERIENCED AMONG US:
If, on a bet, you had to produce a solid entire-group recording with just one $100 mic (an MXL, SP, SM57, etc.), could you do it? Could you effectively find a way to adapt the single signal for various uses? I'm not interested in which particular mic (we've seen enough bickering about this issue), but more in the general response to the question: could you produce a recording you'd be proud of if limited to just one cheap mic for all instruments and voices?
J.

Behold, a forest.

Brent Casey

scrubs said:
You need to run that cheap stuff through a Brita filter, dude. All the kids are doing it. From what I've heard, it makes it smoooooooth. ;)
ROFL, now thats creative

No. With just one mic, you could record absolutely nothing. In fact, a whole pile of mics wont help you if you've got no artist, medium, electricity, cables, etc. :)

A Reel Person said:
Yeah, electricity...is the underrated element in home recording. :eek: ;)

Boooooo!!!! Down with technology. I record only with my hand-crank phonorekkorder, made in Germany in 1841. It's hard to play guitar and record at the same time (in the dark, no less), but the end result is totally worth it. Sweetness for days!

:D

Han said:
It's all about talent and skill my dear friends, the mics and gear are just tools, nothing more, nothing less.

This statement by Han should be imbedded in everyones brain.... I have been saying this for years as well.

During a stint for Sony, we did Davey Johnson and John Jorgenson while on the road in a motel room on a Sony MDMX4 MiniDisc and two mics. It was an amazing time and Sony gave out the CD's to promote their MDMX4 recorder, which I still have....If it been one good Stereo Mic, it still would have been awesome.

Either way, it all depends on the talent and the skill as Han and myself have been saying all along. The tools are just that..tools....

Back