If you had to, could you produce a solid recording with a single $100 mic?

mandocaster said:
It could be the next cable TV hit. Call it "Iron Ears".

Four or Five AE's would be given a single mic and have to come up with a finished project in one hour. Japanese glitterati would judge the results at the end.

Oh, I'd watch that.

Assuming rock, a SM57 can do a really good job for basically everything but drum overheads in that price range.

I'd have a hard time deciding if I would use a SM57 or a cheaper condenser, though. You could do decent drums with the right condenser and possibly get better vocals. The guitars might not necessarily come out all that different. If it's more acoustic type stuff, I would definitely just take a condenser.

I have to ask though, is this assuming you are micing EVERYTHING? I mean, I could say I would use Pods for the guitars, go DI with the bass, program the drums, and just record the vocals.

My hearty thanks to all who've replied, thus far. Your responses, generally,
are inspiring me to focus more on improving my skills, dropping my gear envy,
and seeking creativite approaches--rather than just new gear--to work around potential weaknesses.

Since my wallet's a bit light these days, your shot of wisdom's as sweet as vodka.

Best,

J.

Vodka is sweet :eek:

I'll have to start dinking more of it...it always tasted like alcohol to me.

But maybe that's because I buy the $9/liter stuff on the bottom shelf :D

OneRoomStudios said:
Vodka is sweet :eek:

I'll have to start dinking more of it...it always tasted like alcohol to me.

But maybe that's because I buy the $9/liter stuff on the bottom shelf :D

You need to run that cheap stuff through a Brita filter, dude. All the kids are doing it. From what I've heard, it makes it smoooooooth. ;)

scrubs said:
You need to run that cheap stuff through a Brita filter, dude. All the kids are doing it. From what I've heard, it makes it smoooooooth. ;)

I could be totally gullible...but right now that sounds like a viable idea.

We probably don't need a vodka thread here, and I'm not much of a drinker, but I might add that I'm in Russia each year and the best vodka there is definitely sweet. At least until the next morning.

But to simplify things with a slight revision... your mic advice here is as sweet as chocolate cream puff pastry with a shot of warm coca cola.

J.

Jeffree, if you really are on a tight budget, you could try what I did a couple of times. I used 2 mic's, but you could do it with one. Start off with a rough mix of vocal and guitar in your phones, then record the kick, then o/d the snare... use a single overhead and you know the rest. Time consuming but it can be done :D

Crow, thanks for your advice, but actually, I record most of what I do at-home direct, one track at a time. I do have a couple of budget mics for recording acoustic parts. My interest in this thread is primarily some recording theory from the many folks here with more home-recording experience than me. And I'm already learning something.

Richie, why... "no"? Let's assume you could record a track at a time--would that make a difference in your response?
Or are there other issues that would drag things down?

J.

Slipperman's recording mentor recorded the entire drum kit, including overheads(!), with SM57's and says that record still sounds great FWIW.

Bruce Springsteen+acoustic guitar+Tascam 144 cassette 4 track+ 2 SM57's
="Nebraska". :) Mixed down through a boombox BTW!

Over 2 million copies sold...

Chris

Han said:
The Americans say 'it's the indian, not the arrow' right?

Well, we used to say that, but more and more it seems we just want more arrows that we don't even know how to shoot. I'm not referring to anyone on this board, just generally. American homes and garages are loaded with expensive audio/video systems that are poorly set up (and even less well understood), and pricey cars whose owners don't even know what's under the hood.

When I lived overseas, it seemed if people purchased expensive things, they also took the time to get the most out of them. I think that's less true here in the States. Much as I love my country, we are better at purchasing than we are at appreciating.

Well, the first thing you need to make an awesome recording is a really awesome musician. Then you need a really good room.

With that I think you can do OK. After all, there are some classic early recordings out there done with, by modern standards, pretty limited stuff.

Well, Jeffree, no, I assumed tracking one track at a time. There simply isn't a mic in the world under $100 that I'd try to track an album with. I pretty much have no use for SM57. Acoustic guitar and kick drum simply require different mics. To make an "awsome" recording, with any gear I can imagine, I would need at least 4 mics- a SD pair, a decent kiick mic, and a main vocal mic, which are fundamentally different things.-Richie

chessparov said:
Slipperman's recording mentor recorded the entire drum kit, including overheads(!), with SM57's and says that record still sounds great FWIW.

Bruce Springsteen+acoustic guitar+Tascam 144 cassette 4 track+ 2 SM57's
="Nebraska". :) Mixed down through a boombox BTW!

Over 2 million copies sold...

Chris

And, mastered by the best in the world.

I've heard Springsteen's demo that went into getting him his deal. It's just him and his guitar. It's tons better than Nebraska.

Today's drum sounds are so many samples etc. that I've venture to say "yes, you can make it sound like the drum sampled / POD guitar playing / screaming distorted singing stuff with a $100 mic."

On a bet could it be done? Almost anything on a bet can be done, just don't know if you'd like it.

But the higher the skill level and with a decent mic, a lot can be done really. Anything is possible, but our opinions of the finished product would vary wildly.

War

Han said:
The Americans say 'it's the indian, not the arrow' right?

Untill Slipperman came along (I know who he is) and said: guys, you're pissing to the wrong tree. And the discussion went 180 deg the other direction after slipperman had explained about who I am, or more what I am.

It's all about talent and skill my dear friends, the mics and gear are just tools, nothing more, nothing less.

I concur. I am wondering 'who you are' myself. What creds did Slipperman relate?

MadTiger3000 said:
I concur. I am wondering 'who you are' myself. What creds did Slipperman relate?

Han is a masked crime fighter. His super sensitive ears allow him to track down villians.

Steve, as you may know, in the book "Glory Days" the detailed story behind "Nebraska" is pretty amazing. They also tried to cut the album on 2" with the E Street Band hot off the road, but they weren't satisfied compared to the "mix" cassette that Bruce kept for a week in his shirt pocket!

Nobody liked it except the public (just kidding!).:)

Chris

Back