If You could only have one mic which of the following would it be?

Which mic would you choose if you could have only 1 mic and no others.

• AKG c214

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • AKG c414 (all models)

Votes: 35 38.0%
  • AKG Solid Tube

• Rode NTK

• Neumann TLM 103

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Telefunken M16 MK II

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Studio Projects T3

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Soundelux u195

• Shure KSM44

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Brauner Phantom C

• Peluso 22 251

• Total voters
It seems like the AKG 414 isn't a popular one here? I'm actually a sucker for my C414 XLII. I haven't really gone outside of the tried and true uses for it though. It's great as a room mic, an acoustic or solo instrument mic, drum overheads sometimes, piano, and large sources like a concert band. I also use it for alot of vocals althogh some people like others better. (depends on the singer in my experience withit so far.) It is a much more clear and detailed and high quality sound than my other condensers by far.

Theres still some other popular uses for it like a bass cab, or a jazz kick drum that I havent tried yet, but there are definitely things that it doesnt do all that well. I dont really like it for guitars at all, and it can bring out the odd qualities in some vocalists. I would reccomend it because it does have it's share of uses and has stood the test of time as a great mic, but I would not call it an "all around mic". I thought I'd make an honest argument for it :) I'm curious about the Shure KSM44 now.

Yo Sam! It's true. The trend on this board is toward the Audio-Technicas, but I for one, am a fan of the C414. I use C414B-ULS, and when placed properly, it is a truly excellent acoustic guitar mic. I did pretty much all of the acoustic on my first album with it, and there were a lot of other mics I could have used, including B.L.U.E. Kiwi and Neumann KM184. If you only had one mic, you could do a lot worse. And you *should* be curious about KSM44. It is a really versatile mic.-Richie

I would suggest an MXL V67g, which isn't on your list, but I use it for everything except drums. I mean literally everything--guitar (electric and acoustic), vocals... well, ok, those are the only two other things I record, but I'm sure I'd use it for other instruments if I had them. It sounds great on everything.

I would not have any on the list.

If I could only have *one* mic. (or one pair of mics) it would be the Sennheiser MKH 800 - or, maybe, the Neumann D-01 AES42 digital mic.

Around 6 months ago, was floored how well SM57>Universal Audio 610 mic pre works on me.

And I've played around with a number of uber $$ LDC's (Telefunken USA, Neumann U87ai, etc.) FWIW.

Chris

P.S. T3 is a winner too, and their CS models are comparable IMHO.

I went with the AKG c414. Theres just so much that it's good for. It's the closest "one size fits all" mic on the list. Not surprised that it's winning the poll.

I've had a pair of 414B XLS and a pair of ULS. The ULS worked out the best as an all around mic for me. I record vocals, mandolin, banjo, Dobro, upright bass and acoustic guitar mostly. I could just point it at the source, hit "record" and rarely ever got a bad sound. The multipattern feature was very useful. I had to sell them to get through some hard times. If I had the money, I would not hesitate to buy a clean used ULS but would not pay more than $500 for it. That being said, it was never the best mic for any job, but it was always reliable and did everything very well. Another hindsight, the Rode NTK was probably the best vocal mic that I ever had. It was a 'flavor' and not the right mic on so many things. I also sold my SM7b, even though it was probably the most versatile dynamic I've come across...I felt about it the way I feel about the 414s. What I have resolved to keep forever is my pair of modded Oktava MK012s, a pair of EV 635a, and a couple of RE15's. I'd like to have a pair of LDC's, but I haven't come across any that I like enough to buy and keep on a shoestring budget.

I'm gonna +1 for the KSM44 for versatility. Really nice as a vocal mic, works well in front of an acoustic guitar. Switchable polar pattern, pad and bass rolloff. The 414 (depending on what preamp was used with it) seemed a bit bright to me. (when used with a tube pre, it was pretty good, but since you haven't really specified what pre you're putting this into...) The KSM has a nice flavor in just about every pre, especially something Neve or APIesqe (transformer based). Tube pre it's a little dark, but a little pre-tape(disc) eq boost can over come that without disaterous results.

How many of us have used any meaningful subset of these? I haven't, but that didn't stop me from voting :)

I have two C414B-ULS mics - I can say this - if there's any uncertainty involved, e.g., a novel sound source, a room you haven't had time to get comfortable with, the possibility of someone moving your mic a little bit on accident, etc., this mic wins the "most likely to save your ass" award. This is the only variant I've used, but I see newer ones in similar situations that are placed by folks with much more experience than me.

Going back to the original question and the price range implied - I would certainly add the Gefell M 930 (or M 930 Ts ifyou like a transformer sound) to the list.

I would use the newest version Neumann U87 which isn't on the list, so I'd have to settle for the TLM103 then...

Back