I need advice on my new set up

studio1784

I need to know if I need to add something else to my set up, because I'm getting a lot of background noise in my mic.

Here's my studio set up:

• ASUS Lap top R503U Series - 8 gig Ram
• External Hard drive- 1 TB
• Audio Interface- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
• Mic- AKG Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic/ Gator Dual Pop Filter/ Auralex Vocal Mic Isolation Shield
• Music Software- Sonar Professional, Studio One, Sound Forge 10
• Monitors- Fostex 8” 3 way
• Headphones- Shure Closed Monitor Headphones
• TC Helicon VoiceTone Harmony G-XT- Voice Processor
• Key board- M-Audio 49-Key MIDI Controller

1. Lap top usb Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface input 1&2ïƒ* usb TC Helicon Voice Tone Harmony- G-XT XLR cords to main out and AKG Large Diaphragm Condenser mic input.
2. Headphones and Monitorïƒ* Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface and USB Key board- M-Audio 49-Key MIDI Controller
3. 1TB External Hard driveïƒ*usb Lab top

What type of noise are we talking about recording what type of input? The preamp input should be set for the best signal to noise ratio so if it's too sensitive to backround the thing to do is lower the input level or pad it and put the mic closer to the sound source for proper level. Really need to know what you mean by backround noise to help.

It' always possible there's a lot of noise in your recording environment you never noticed, and an LDC is one quick way to find that out.

But, make sure everything is off and test with just the mic into the Focusrite into the laptop. Set the gain on the 2i2 so you get a decent level (-18 to -12dB average on your DAW with that fader set to zero). Record some vocal and acoustic guitar if you can, i.e., nothing that has any built-in noise, like an electric guitar, plugged in acoustic, etc. Leave some spaces where it should be silent and listen carefull in the room at the same time for noises, like your computer fan, that external drive, forced air heat or a/c, etc. That should help you identify the source of noises when you listen to the recording.

Make sure you're recording 24-bit. Bounce to a high quality MP3 (256kHz at least) and post here when you can if you haven't figured it out through your own experimentation.

P.S. If you think it's computer/external drive related, make sure the back of the mic is facing those sound sources when you record. That can make a big diference, though if your space is untreated, the noise from those sources will be coming off all surfaces so still get into the mic.

Back