I have some general set up questions.

To preface let me tell you my current gear (still building):

- Scarlett 2i2
- Roland rd 700nx piano
- Beyerdynamic DT 900 pro x phones
- Maton ECW80C acoustic guitar
- MacBook Pro 2022 16”

Question 1:
my Scarlett 2i2 came with a short USB C to USB A lead. Is there a benefit to upgrade to USBc to USBc?

Question 2:
Will I lose quality if I increase lead to roughly 1.5m?

Question 3:
I need my piano MIDI (printer) cable to be about 3m long. Will this cause data to be loss?

Question 4:
I need a hub. The following is what I need to plug into it:
- 2 x 27” HP monitors for dual screens (currently plugged direct to usb c inputs on Mac)
- MIDI from piano - USBc (or A)
- iPhone charger (fast charge)
- audio interface (2i2) (I feel this should plug direct to mac?)
- spare usb a for thumb drive and other

4/1: are there specific specs I need for a hub to achieve what I need?

4/2: i notice hubs come with a short lead, is there an issue with me changing to a 1m lead?

4/3: should audio interface be connected direct to mac?

4/4: should MIDI keyboard be connected directly to Mac?

4/5: are there any benefits to buying/replacing cords with usb C over usb A?

At this stage, these are my basic questions.

Thanks heaps!

Hi @Sickdogger, and welcome!

I would recommend...
Question 1:
my Scarlett 2i2 came with a short USB C to USB A lead. Is there a benefit to upgrade to USBc to USBc?
Yes, I would get USB-C to USB-C. It's faster hence more reliable.
Question 2:
Will I lose quality if I increase lead to roughly 1.5m?
For a USB-C to USB-C, you generally want to keep it as short as possible or the advantage of USB-C is cancelled out to some extent. Try to keep it around 1m in length.
Question 3:
I need my piano MIDI (printer) cable to be about 3m long. Will this cause data to be loss?
For MIDI that should not be an issue.
Question 4:
I need a hub. The following is what I need to plug into it:
- 2 x 27” HP monitors for dual screens (currently plugged direct to usb c inputs on Mac)
- MIDI from piano - USBc (or A)
- iPhone charger (fast charge)
- audio interface (2i2) (I feel this should plug direct to mac?)
- spare usb a for thumb drive and other
Check out the Anker products. You'll want a powered hub. They are slightly pricey but very much worth it -- you don't want a second-rate hub causing dropouts or anything, right? I have their 575 model. It doesn't have an iPhone charger though.
4/3: should audio interface be connected direct to mac?
Yes.
4/4: should MIDI keyboard be connected directly to Mac?
Not if you have a worthwhile hub.

There was a bit of overlap between questions, I think I answered them all! Cheers!

I know little of macs but I understand they are real cheapskates when it comes to USB port provision!

It is a general rule that Audio Interfaces work best on a direct to PC USB port although my MOTU M4 is quite happy on a USB 3.0 hub. Macs don't work AIs like PCs, no drivers so it may not matter.

There will be no benefit running the 2i2 on C to C, the AI is resolutely USB 2.0 and that is plenty fast enough.

My Native Instruments KA6 came with a 3mtr cable and that is the maximum recommended by NI and I think most AI mnfctrs. I see no reason why the 2i2 should not run perfectly on up to a 3mtr cable but again, no macs chops.

MIDI data is slooooow! (USB 1.1 still I think?) so, "any port in a storm" (sorry)

Dave.

Hi and Welcome Sickdogger!

Maybe you can give us more detail as to your overall recording goals? Are you going to use a mic....for instance? Your headphones are good quality and should suffice for now....but do you think you may want to playback your recordings over speakers / monitors?

You've come to the right place for advice!

Mick

Just like to add? I see that Roland kbd has the full compliment of DIN MIDI ports. Some might argue with me but you might find it more flexible to use DIN cables to and from the F'rite? For one thing, "MIDI" device will be the 2i2 in yoiur DAW software...might help?

Dave.

#1: No
#2: No
#3: No
#4: Just make sure the hub has all the ports you need and is compatible with the port/computer you'll be plugging it into.
I believe that's Thunderbold 4 on that mac?
Also make sure the hub is powered or has enough higher current rated ports on it.

Looks like your Macbook has three Thunderbolt4 ports, so I'd leave the two monitors connected directly and use the third for your new hub.

#4/2: No
#4/3: Not necessarily.
It used to be common and good advice to connect interfaces directly to the computer, without hubs in between, but it really shouldn't be an issue for your interface and setup. My own 2i2 has been hanging off a USB2 port on a Thunderbolt/USB4 hub for 2 years now.

#4/4: See 4/3
#4/5: No. The only time it would matter connecting directly to USBC/Thunderbolt (for 'regular' usb devices) would be for high throughput devices like an external SSD.

Welcome to HR! (y)

Edit: Realised computer had 3 TB4 ports. Removed monitor stuff.

Last edited:
Back