I hope I am not leaching here

Smithers XKR

This is a great forum, I have gotten so much great advice from really great guys.... pro sound engineers etc.
But I do worry that I have been taking everything without giving much back.
I am an accomplished musician with 40 years experience and I would like to offer advice to younger artists to help them on the road. The pitfalls that I experienced in this bad game etc. Just to pass a little on and give a bit back.
I dont wish to come over all Yoda or arrogant know all but I would really like to help, if you think it is worth it.
I hope this makes some sort of sense.
Thanks ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

Reactions: TAE
It's an open forum we all come from different paths and are a collective of our experiences...There are many roads but they all lead to Rome. Like DM says contribute when you can, ask when you need help. welcome to the jungle...

Last edited:
I think the worst members are those who sign up, ask a question, get answers and then bugger off never to be heard of again. I like people with opinions - then we talk about stuff and even when we disagree, we all learn something. Some of course like one recently join to have a fight, forgetting that most folk on here tend to be long termers, even if they read a lot and don't contribute. I've got lots of opinions, but over and over again, you suddenly discover somebody else has a better one!

I think the worst members are those who sign up, ask a question, get answers and then bugger off never to be heard of again. I like people with opinions - then we talk about stuff and even when we disagree, we all learn something. Some of course like one recently join to have a fight, forgetting that most folk on here tend to be long termers, even if they read a lot and don't contribute. I've got lots of opinions, but over and over again, you suddenly discover somebody else has a better one!
Thanks Rob
I'm not like that and always happy to offer advice, but I don't like to be too opinionated, especially when there are guys here with way more knowledge than me. I am probably better qualified to talk about music and musicianship than anything music tech related. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

Hi Rob..

Now who could that person be? ๐Ÿ˜‰
I hope its not me ๐Ÿ˜ช๐Ÿ˜ช๐Ÿ˜ช
Could it be someone beginning with "P" who is a digital afficianado having a slight difference of opinion at times with an analogue tape expert "C" ?
Anyway, dont want to get involved mate.
I am just a humble new boy here to learn and contribute where I feel able.
Too old now ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Cheers ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

A friend once told me I was welcome to my opinion, no matter how stupid and wrong it was. He was right, of course.

I think you've been doing just fine here. I may not agree with your stance on some things, but in many ways, I completely understand it. You've commented about having an old Jag to drive. My favorite car is the 58-60 Corvette. It would really be cool to hop in one, and cruise around town on a summer's evening. That said, I know it would be a money hole, and there's no way it would be my daily driver. My '16 Taurus is way too comfortable, economical, and practical. When my son moved to Charleston SC, I hopped in around 6am, hit the road, and 9 1/2 hours and 620 miles later, pulled into his apartment building. I was fresh enough to help him put together his bed and entertainment center, go to Costco, and then go to dinner. I could never have done that driving a 59 'vette! I would be lucky to get out of the car!

A friend once told me I was welcome to my opinion, no matter how stupid and wrong it was. He was right, of course.

I think you've been doing just fine here. I may not agree with your stance on some things, but in many ways, I completely understand it. You've commented about having an old Jag to drive. My favorite car is the 58-60 Corvette. It would really be cool to hop in one, and cruise around town on a summer's evening. That said, I know it would be a money hole, and there's no way it would be my daily driver. My '16 Taurus is way too comfortable, economical, and practical. When my son moved to Charleston SC, I hopped in around 6am, hit the road, and 9 1/2 hours and 620 miles later, pulled into his apartment building. I was fresh enough to help him put together his bed and entertainment center, go to Costco, and then go to dinner. I could never have done that driving a 59 'vette! I would be lucky to get out of the car!
Now then!... V8 muscle cars are way more in my comfort and knowlege zone to talk about than music tech!! ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ‘ My favourite Vette is the C3, Cheverolet just really nailed it with the styling and design with it, and I love the Duke boys Charger, even though it was rubbish, they destroyed about 20 of those Dodge cars doing all the jump scenes!. I also love the Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino, I had a wall poster as a kid. My favourite however, is the 68 Steve McQueen Bullit 68 Mustang fastback, a thing of legend ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ‘

Mine is a 99 Jaguar XKR Coupe in red like this one, she is my pride and joy.

Thanks for the kind words Tal ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Attachments

• afrankl_xkr.1-lg.jpg
    afrankl_xkr.1-lg.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 2
Yup, we all have different experiences. We have our Niche and all have collective differences which can bring us together
I think you have been very diplomatic Clam, so Kudos to you mate but stick to your beliefs and principles. I agree, a top end state of the art analogue deck will sound better than digital format. It is just more warm to my ear. I reckon Mr Nakomichi would agree.
Kind regards Paul.
Steve ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

Now then!... V8 muscle cars are way more in my comfort and knowlege zone to talk about than music tech!! ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ‘ My favourite Vette is the C3, Cheverolet just really nailed it with the styling and design with it, and I love the Duke boys Charger, even though it was rubbish, they destroyed about 20 of those Dodge cars doing all the jump scenes!. I also love the Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino, I had a wall poster as a kid. My favourite however, is the 68 Steve McQueen Bullit 68 Mustang fastback, a thing of legend ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ‘

Mine is a 99 Jaguar XKR Coupe in red like this one, she is my pride and joy.

Thanks for the kind words Tal ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

I like sports cars. I had an 80 RX7, and my ex wife had a 75 Porsche 914 when I met her. My brother still has a 1970 LT1 Corvette convertible. 350CI - 375HP, Hurst shifter, 4.11 rear end. Unfortunately it doesn't run any longer, and he doesn't want to spend the $$$ that it would take to get it back on the road. I also have a 1980 Suzuki GS550 that hasn't run for 20 years. The funds weren't available back then to pull all the carbs for cleaning and syncing, and fixing the oil leak that cropped up on the left cylinder head. Now it sits in the garage since I have given up motorcycles... far too many crazy people on the road today!

75 Porsche.jpg80 RX7.jpg

I like sports cars. I had an 80 RX7, and my ex wife had a 75 Porsche 914 when I met her. My brother still has a 1970 LT1 Corvette convertible. 350CI - 375HP, Hurst shifter, 4.11 rear end. Unfortunately it doesn't run any longer, and he doesn't want to spend the $$$ that it would take to get it back on the road. I also have a 1980 Suzuki GS550 that hasn't run for 20 years. The funds weren't available back then to pull all the carbs for cleaning and syncing, and fixing the oil leak that cropped up on the left cylinder head. Now it sits in the garage since I have given up motorcycles... far too many crazy people on the road today!

View attachment 123176View attachment 123179
The GS550 is a VERY rare and very cool car. Never sell it.
The RX7 is an interesting one. I did think about modding the Jag, giving it a rear axle Limited Slip Differential, upgrading the lower Eaton Supercharger Pulley and getting a stage 3 chip mod and also replacing with a stick shift transmission but it would cost around ยฃ12k. On reflection I will leave it stock. It is what it is, a powerful GT 370 BHP old mans comfortable cruiser.
Japanese cars are really there to be modded. The RX use a Wankel rotary which revs like hell but go bang very easily. I have a friend who bought an RX8 2004 model for ยฃ500 with a broken engine. He got a Skyline 2.5L engine imported from Japan for ยฃ1200 and installed a huge turbo, performance intakes and intercooler, race shocks and springs, and a full Brembo brake conversion, all done for about ยฃ10k. If you want to do a cheap conversion, then the Jap route is the way to go. That car is fibre glass body and pushing out over 500bhp and 60 in 3 secs. He took me out and I soiled my pants.
God I love talking about this stuff, its the only thing I know ๐Ÿ˜…

My Wankel ran 10 years, had 125,000+ miles, and was all original. That engine was bulletproof, and smooth as glass. I once missed a shift and saw the engine rev to well over 8000. It didn't miss a beat. I only sold it because my son was coming along, and a driver with two kids and only 2 seats.. the math doesn't work out:unsure:.

I bought an 4dr Acura Integra and kept that for 23 years until I bought my company car for a song.

View attachment 123176View attachment 123179
I am not a Carb expert but I do watch shows like Wheeler Dealers. The twin carb system is air cooled so will be easier to take apart but will be a tricky job to callibrate. Thing is, the US emmission rules in the 70s made them change the idle mix screws to limit power. Go to a carb expert who can ajdust the jet sizes, refurbish and replace the O rings and recalibrate.... multiple carboretta work is like piano tuning. Always use the best Super unleaded on your car. I have always used Shell V Power 99 RON in the Jag ๐Ÿ‘

My Wankel ran 10 years, had 125,000+ miles, and was all original. That engine was bulletproof, and smooth as glass. I once missed a shift and saw the engine rev to well over 8000. It didn't miss a beat. I only sold it because my son was coming along, and a driver with two kids and only 2 seats.. the math doesn't work out:unsure:.

I bought an 4dr Acura Integra and kept that for 23 years until I bought my company car for a song.
The Rotary was a brillant idea and concept, it ran to 9k revs but had low torque. Its power came from the speed of revs it ran at, so to achieve the power you had to thrash it. So it used a lot of oil and had to be serviced and maintained a lot more often. The RX engine used two rotating drums conected together, up and down so there was no cam. 3 gaps in each drum. A great concept but did not work out. It was rated as a 1.3 litre but was in real terms a 3.9

Sorry, I am turning this into a car thread. Major apologies Rich ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

My mechanic once explained how engine power works. He used the boxer analogy. Power is the torque x revs. The torque is how HARD a boxer hits and the revs is the SPEED he hits. So torque x revs = power.
So you have diesel engines which have a lot of torque but do not rev very high. The diesel engine was originally designed to pull things... farm machinery etc..
Then you have the Rotary engine which has little torque but revs very highly. It was developed in respect of Japanese motorcycle engines, but actually goes back to a German inventor over 100 years ago. Then you have the standard gasoline engine which sits somewhere in the middle of the two for standard cars in terms of torque and revs of about 6.5k.
However, the current 488 Ferrarri is a 4.8L V8 naturally aspirated engine which goes to 9k revs..... awsome..

I am not a Carb expert but I do watch shows like Wheeler Dealers. The twin carb system is air cooled so will be easier to take apart but will be a tricky job to callibrate. Thing is, the US emmission rules in the 70s made them change the idle mix screws to limit power. Go to a carb expert who can ajdust the jet sizes, refurbish and replace the O rings and recalibrate.... multiple carboretta work is like piano tuning. Always use the best Super unleaded on your car. I have always used Shell V Power 99 RON in the Jag ๐Ÿ‘
The problem was that there was an episode of contaminated gas that was clogging jets and fuel injectors all over the area. The GS-550 is a 4 cylinder inline and it was a major pain to pull the carbs. I had pulled them once to rebuild them and it cost a bunch just to get them synced and tuned. There was no way I could scrounge up the bucks for a major cleanup, since I was going through a divorce, and paying for 2 kids. So it sat.. and sat... and sat. By now, all the gas is long gone, so everything is probably like concrete in there. You'll probably have to drop the carbs in a bucket of cleaner for several weeks.

The Rotary was a brillant idea and concept, it ran to 9k revs but had low torque. Its power came from the speed of revs it ran at, so to achieve the power you had to thrash it. So it used a lot of oil and had to be serviced and maintained a lot more often. The RX engine used two rotating drums conected together, up and down so there was no cam. 3 gaps in each drum. A great concept but did not work out. It was rated as a 1.3 litre but was in real terms a 3.9

The problem with the Wankel was two fold... first it's a "2 stroke" type engine, power generated 3 times on every rotation, but it needs oil injected into the gas to lubricate the seals. That put it on the EPA's shit list. They used a thermal reactor to clean things up. Plus, it is pretty thirsty, so that made it hard to make the fuel economy numbers that the government (and public) was demanding. I used to average about 18mpg with a 2000lb car and that was mostly highway driving. By the time they got to the RX8 with twin turbos and a 13b based engine, it was a low volume, expensive car. Boosting power causes issues because the motor doesn't heat evenly. The firing side stays hot and the intake side stays cooler. It makes for uneven expansion of the metal, which can cause problems. Mazda didn't necessarily have the allure of a Porsche or Ferrari to command the high prices needed to cover the cost. The MX-5 became the company's sport entry and the RX was dropped.

Don't worry about turning it into a "car thread". You're doing exactly what you were wanted .. not being a "leach".

Just have my Honda's now. A 2001 Accord 4 cylinder w/ 5 speed. Hondata /Turbo /NOS /Meth/water injection..

Then a 01 GSR with low miles.Hondata/.Jackson Racing Supercharged/ NOS/ Water injecion.
gjdjgjkdk.jpg20180120_145413.jpg

Very fast machines..That drive regular..

Screenshot 2022-11-16 203103.jpg

Self built and tuned..I am that fucking awesome.

Last edited:
The problem was that there was an episode of contaminated gas that was clogging jets and fuel injectors all over the area. The GS-550 is a 4 cylinder inline and it was a major pain to pull the carbs. I had pulled them once to rebuild them and it cost a bunch just to get them synced and tuned. There was no way I could scrounge up the bucks for a major cleanup, since I was going through a divorce, and paying for 2 kids. So it sat.. and sat... and sat. By now, all the gas is long gone, so everything is probably like concrete in there. You'll probably have to drop the carbs in a bucket of cleaner for several weeks.

The problem with the Wankel was two fold... first it's a "2 stroke" type engine, power generated 3 times on every rotation, but it needs oil injected into the gas to lubricate the seals. That put it on the EPA's shit list. They used a thermal reactor to clean things up. Plus, it is pretty thirsty, so that made it hard to make the fuel economy numbers that the government (and public) was demanding. I used to average about 18mpg with a 2000lb car and that was mostly highway driving. By the time they got to the RX8 with twin turbos and a 13b based engine, it was a low volume, expensive car. Boosting power causes issues because the motor doesn't heat evenly. The firing side stays hot and the intake side stays cooler. It makes for uneven expansion of the metal, which can cause problems. Mazda didn't necessarily have the allure of a Porsche or Ferrari to command the high prices needed to cover the cost. The MX-5 became the company's sport entry and the RX was dropped.

Don't worry about turning it into a "car thread". You're doing exactly what you were wanted .. not being a "leach".
I think you need to look at the radiator also. The rad can become very clogged on classic cars. The carb issue is one thing but if you ever get a blown head gasket and get it redone then the clogged rad will cause overheating and the head will blow again. Recommend a rad flush.

Back