I have $100 What to buy

skiscem

Well guys, im on a trade deal and i have about $80 available to spend on something... so i thought, why not a mic.
i can add some more money, so i can apend around $100.
this is the list of mics i have now, take a look and give me a recomendation on what to get, i ust want something to complement or just different, feel free

ST55 LDC
ST44 LDC
Pair Of octava Mk-012
pair of shure sm57
shure sm58
shure kick mic (forgot the series)

so what do i need... the only rule is that i have to get it new from an online store, no ebay please...

thanks

Well guys, im on a trade deal and i have about $80 available to spend on something... so i thought, why not a mic.
i can add some more money, so i can apend around $100.
this is the list of mics i have now, take a look and give me a recomendation on what to get, i ust want something to complement or just different, feel free

ST55 LDC
ST44 LDC
Pair Of octava Mk-012
pair of shure sm57
shure sm58
shure kick mic (forgot the series)

so what do i need... the only rule is that i have to get it new from an online store, no ebay please...

thanks

Save your money and buy something good when you have about $300. Maybe a CAD M179 for $130 or so, but otherwise there's not much below about $300 that would be a big step up from what you have now, IMHO.

Id be wary of anything at that price point...let alone the ribbon...Id put that money in a savings account and wait for some of the guys arround here to rate it...and not one of the newbs either, but somebody who knows what a mic should sound like.

a couple of the mics you have listed there are widely considered as workhorses....what kind of pre's are you using? Maybe that should be your next investment.....

I don't know what the differences are between these two mic's, but the model #'s are close. Chili, you probably know the main differences.

I have this mic, and it came with the shock mount, and a cable. Now it's the same price, and comes with shock mount, an MXL cable, and a livewire cable! I'm sure it's a closeout model, but, for the price, we figured it was worth a shot. We (my Hubby and I) now feel it was money well spent.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...-Studio-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273158

Happy shopping!

I do have to say Im a bit curious about the ribbon...Mxl has made some OK stuff....and also some stuff I wouldnt ever consider...if it isnt completely tragic it might be worth the c note...maybe Harvey has used it

i am just looking to add some variety to m modest collection, i was thinking maybe a Ribbon mic, i found this on MF, but i cant find any info here, what do you guys think

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-R44-Ribbon-Microphone?sku=620581

For $100, it would be an interesting mic to add to your collection. Everyone should own a ribbon (or eight). You'd probably like it as a drum overhead, those rolled chinese ribbons tend to tame some wild cymbal noises.

For $100 I'd be more interested in shock mounts and stereo bars, that most mics at that price point. Especially a ribbon, since they're so frail to start with.

omnis

skiscem,

Do you have omni caps for your Oktava's. If not you might want to try a pair of omnis. That's my usual starting point for recording about anything.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

skiscem,

Do you have omni caps for your Oktava's. If not you might want to try a pair of omnis. That's my usual starting point for recording about anything.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

thanks a very good idea, but those go for around $175 a pair.

i am just looking to add some variety to m modest collection, i was thinking maybe a Ribbon mic, i found this on MF, but i cant find any info here, what do you guys think

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-R44-Ribbon-Microphone?sku=620581

I don't know much about that one, but the Apex 205 gets decent reviews in the ribbon space and costs about the same price. Either way, you should seriously consider a transformer mod. The stock Chinese transformers suck massively.

Back