I give my life to You

SteveAlton

Recorded on my TASCAM DP24 digital 24 track versus using Pro Tools.

I've always used just the Audio Technica 4040 solo for acoustic, but bought a Neumann KMS 105 for live vocals.....Experimented with dual condensers on my new tune. The large diaphragm Audio Technica is set 6" away from soundhole, the Neumann small diaphragm at the 12th fret, same 6". I know the Neumann is not a "pencil" condenser, but it captures my VOX really well so I decided to try something.

For the VOX I used the Neumann small condenser vs. Audio Technica ....

The guitar is a Taylor 812 CE 12 fret, tune standard with custom light 11's Elixirs......

Still a rough mix, but thoughts anyone?

Surrounded by Glory
Sent from above
In the Holy of Holies
I’m lost in Your love

Heavenly fire
Glows deep inside me
A burning desire
To lay at Your feet

Lord I give my life to You
I dedicate my heart to You
I give You everything I have
It’s the least that I can do
I give You all that I am
I give my life to You…..I give my life to You

I’m a treasure out of darkness
Found by Your light
A diamond that’s priceless
Shining bright

I give You all that I am…..I give my life to You…..

I give You all that I am

Last edited:
Nice singing voice. Good tone on it. It was very clear. Small pitch problem on the first line of the second verse on the word "fire."

Harmony vocals would be nice. It's a pretty song, and harmonies would pretty it up even more.

The low end - the bass and the kick - are both missing a lot of low-midrange. Like the 300hz-600hz octave. They both sound sterile. They need more warmth.

The piano sounds a bit cheap.

The acoustic guitar sound works well in this mix. It's a bit tin-ny. But it pokes through the mix just right.

If it were me I'd back off the reverb. Or actually, I'd shorten the decay and the pre-delay. I'd make it a more intimate song.

I thought the music part sounded great..with the exception of the keys. The backing sound at the beginning and then when the piano came in, sounded out dated. I am wondering if you gave it more of a stereo field if it would sound better. The piano I thought was a little loud also when it comes in....not bad when the rest of the band is there though.

As far as voice, you have a great one. I thought it was a little dry though, especially at the beginning.

Loved the song, especially when you kicked it in. Great job.

The synthy sounds are cheesey.
The vocal sounds better when you're belting it out.
The acoustic sounds fine. The mic experiment seemed to have paid off.
The melody isn't bad but, honestly, the lyrics are as cliched as they come.
The section about treasure showed promise but it ended in the same "praise" hackneyed terms as the rest of the song.
To give the melody and backing something worth hanging onto you should dig a little deeper, write down your thoughts and when they just regurgitate the same old same old, cross them out and dig even deeper to make your belief believable. Lyrically it seems, except for that one spot, pitched at Sunday school level where kids are trained to sing platitudes and he teacher hope that, someday, the kids will have developed some depth of experience and faith to call their own.

I think the vocals could be quieter with a touch more compression and reverb or subtle delay to fit in with the rest of the atmosphere of the song (especially at the beginning and end). I also think the bass has a bit too much low end, maybe hi pass around 80Hz? You could even duplicate or send the bass to a separate bus and distort that track, but bring it down 20 to 30dB to add clarity. Especially with the deep kick you have. I wouldn't mind hearing a louder snare and quieter strings also. Maybe hard pan the strings left and right to make it feel bigger or put the strings on one side and balance it with the organ on the other side.

Back