Hum when I turn up tone knob

mellotron

I have a Roland Cube 15 and a Yamaha Pacifica 112. Would a Behringer hum destroyer eliminate this hum? My Roland Cube has a 2 prong, not a 3 prong cable. Is this the reason why it hums, or is it just a case of having a single coil guitar?

You have to do some detective work and change ONE thing at a time to track down the source of the hum.

FIRST thing, make sure EVERYTHING is plugged into the same wall outlet.
(2 different power circuits are a common source of audio hum.)

Get it humming, and without changing anything, turn slowly in a circle and see if the hum goes away at some point when you rotate yourself and the guitar. If it does you're picking up a hum field - probably either fluorescent lights or a poorly shielded transformer.

I have a Roland Cube 15 and a Yamaha Pacifica 112. Would a Behringer hum destroyer eliminate this hum?

Definitely maybe.

My Roland Cube has a 2 prong, not a 3 prong cable. Is this the reason why it hums,

Yes.

or is it just a case of having a single coil guitar?

Yes.

Also, are you near a TV or CRT computer monitor? Near a laptop or a computer hard drive? Are you mixing cookie batter in your Kitchenaid Artisan mixer while practicing scales? Are you near a CD or DVD player that's spinning a disc? Are you near a DJ who is spinning records? Are you lying inside a fluorescent tanning bed and practicing power chords?

Any electrical motor will cause hum, especially in single coils. Drinking will cause me to right snarky responses. Fluorescent lights will also cause hum, and ground loops too.

Back