Can I stand on a piece of metal to ground myself instead of buying a hum eliminator?

For Fuck's sake? Did you mean to reply to someone else? I do see that there's disinformation going on here in the forums, and not from you.
I mean YOU you twit! We told you repeatedly NOT to tie yourself to ground and you have gone and bloody done it!

Last time of telling. Ground the KIT NOT your BODY!!

Dave.

Watch the George Harrison clip.
You'll notice he let go pronto.

If that happens to you, you're done.
The number of times I've seen amplifiers and other equipment with the mains earth connection broken is unreal.
People think they're solving problems and really they're making the equipment extremely dangerous.

If the proper mains earth connection is lifted and you've strapped yourself to the chassis, then you're in very serious trouble
if there's even a minor equipment failure.

I appreciate there's conflicting information and suggestions in this thread but
do listen to the guys telling you you're running the risk of seriously injuring or killing yourself.
Your 'solution' is not safe.

I mean YOU you twit! We told you repeatedly NOT to tie yourself to ground and you have gone and bloody done it!

Last time of telling. Ground the KIT NOT your BODY!!

Dave.
I don't think you understand what I did. Stop calling me names.

I don't think you understand what I did. Stop calling me names.

You said you tied a ground wire to your ankle. That is PRECISELY what we advised NOT to do. If you would like to know what could happen, look up the death of Keith Relf, who was the singer of the Yardbirds. He was electrocuted playing an ungrounded guitar.

The sole purpose of a ground point is to provide a safe path for electricity in case of a failure. In a house, you drive a rod into the ground, and if things go wrong, the electricity goes into the ground safely.

If we told you it was stupid to clean a loaded gun, would you heed that advice?

Unusually for me I am a little annoyed. If the chap cannot cope with the mild but well meant "twit" then he is in for a big shock on other forums. Grow a pair.
I do not apologize about electrical safety matters.

Dave.

I always view things through Judge Judy's glasses - can you imagine what she would say based on what's been said here. She called somebody a moron the other day, and she was right. In this case, the guy got the same advice over and over again and then tells us he is wrapping a copper cable around his leg. We all do stupid things, but this one is the craziest I have ever come across since I got my first electric shock aged 15, and I am now 50 years further on!

I'd rather our friend is insulted than him be dead.

Unusually for me I am a little annoyed. If the chap cannot cope with the mild but well meant "twit" then he is in for a big shock on other forums. Grow a pair.
I do not apologize about electrical safety matters.

Dave.
I am a sensitive person and already told you I was recovering from an illness. If you can't deal with that, then that's on you. I'm sorry I ever asked you a question. Good day.

I am a sensitive person and already told you I was recovering from an illness. If you can't deal with that, then that's on you. I'm sorry I ever asked you a question. Good day.
After a few months of extremely high blood pressure and feeling very ill I went on drugs which reduced it. For the last six weeks or so I am having great difficulty breathing after doing even the simplest tasks, I cannot walk more than 100mtrs or so without a 5 min stop to recover. This is having a severe effect on my quality of life. The doctors have done blood tests, ECGs X rays and antibiotics to no avail. I strongly suspect they will tell me eventually that I have heart failure. If you want the full SP I have had bladder cancer and only couple of years ago had a cancerous kidney removed.

We all have our troubles my friend but am I asking you to treat me differently from a totally fit person? No, our personal problems have sod all to do with electrical safety or being a dick*.

*Sorry mods but this guy has pissed me off. This is hopefully a one off.

Dave.

Sorry friend, but being a "sensitive person" or "recovering from an illness" is NO excuse for doing something that can be lethal. It is flat out irresponsible!

Electrical safety isn't an opinion. A half dozen people have said not to attach the ground wire to yourself, and that's exactly what you did. If you can't understand why people are upset, the problem is with YOU!

Papanate mate, 'we' have I think already established earlier that the OP's problem is not a ground 'loop'. This cannot be the case since neither devices mentioned actually HAVE any connection to ground. This is a relatively new problem caused, as I say because of the great increase in class ll "double insulated" and therefore UN grounded equipment.
Maybe not a ground loop but you can definitely get a ground leak which acts like a loop - and while a piece of gear may not have a direct link to ground - it can come through cable attached to the device.
There is absolutely no danger in providing a ground to system that lacks one. Just don't make yourself part of that system!
That’s always good advice.

Just a general word about grounding in certain electrical supply systems?
There are some around the world I believe that use 'floating' mains? That is a supply that is NOT referenced to ground* and thus one can in theory safely touch either pole of the supply and not get a lethal shock (I suspect you WOULD feel it! Capacitance to ground must cause some coupling)

If, on such a supply you then solidly ground the metal of say a cooker and IF that cooker went live to frame you would then place everyone on that power supply in danger of shock. AFAIK these supply systems are not found in 'advanced' countries such as Europe and USA.

*In UK it is the grounding of the 'star point' of the three phase wimdings of the local substation transformer that gives us our ground reference. My apologies to any EEng grads, just my recollections.

Dave.

Do me a favor and take that wire off your ankle and clip to your guitar’s bridge instead. Thanks.

Back