How to deal with CPU electrical interference?

achase4u

I just built a new rig - but good lord it just kills any of my Fender guitars with noise - cant move away from the computer in this room. My old rig did this but was very quiet. This is loud. Can I shield the case or something?

Wow, I haven't heard anybody even talk about this as a problem in like... 12 years, maybe? How are you even managing to capture the sound of a modern CPU in a guitar performance? I can't even think of a more specific question, lol. How are you recording this? Are you using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and running your guitar into an onboard microphone input? That's the only way I can even see it being maybe an issue...

You sure you're not just hearing noise from a crappy soundcard? Or a groundloop?

Get away from your monitor, that's the most likely cause of it. Get some new cables, too, I can hear some breaking up indicating more than just the interference..

I hear 60hz hum through the whole thing. Get rid of the groundloop causing that, and I'd bet it will do away with the higher pitched noise, too.

Back