How Many is Enough?

fuzzsniffvoyage

Just wondering how many effect pedals do you use in your chain? And does the amount really effect your sound? Also, do you use guitar stomp boxes for bass? and does it damage the equipment?

There's probably a better forum for this (no? dunno...)

I didn't use any pedals. Laney AOR amps with G12M70's. If you needed effects, you were doing something wrong.

There's probably a better forum for this (no? dunno...)

I didn't use any pedals. Laney AOR amps with G12M70's. If you needed effects, you were doing something wrong.

Another Forum?? Only snobs say "I don't need fx, I'm a purist"

and really, if you need them, fuck off, what do you really need? all you really need is a couple taught wires and a sound board, dip shit.

and really, if you need them, fuck off, what do you really need? all you really need is a couple taught wires and a sound board, dip shit.

That's not very nice.
You asked how many effects pedals people use and he answered you. He uses zero.
Just use the number of effects boxes you need to get the sound you want and leave it at that.
Using a guitar stompbox on a bass rig won't hurt anything. I did it for years.
Be nicer in the future.

Not sure how adding wah or flange to a sound could be considered "wrong". All those old funk albums sounded pretty "right" to me! :D

lately i've been trying to stick to a no-more-than-3 rule with stomp-boxes, just to keep unwanted noise to a minimum and also leave my fingers' natural tone room to breathe. although i looooove to play with pedals, i find using too many at once really diminishes my control of the sound.
and i generally use one modulation effect at a time. for instance i would never use a phase and a flange simultaneously.

putting a bass through a guitar effect is usually ok as long as you use common sense regarding gain levels etc. octaving is particularly nice. i love my EHX POG on bass for even just a little +1.

Those are all common sense rules of thumb. I like phasing better on cymbals and hi-hat than on guitar, truth be told.

Not sure how adding wah or flange to a sound could be considered "wrong". All those old funk albums sounded pretty "right" to me! :D

I didn't mean to offend anyone... If you need flange, use a flanger. If you need verb, use a verb. If you need compression, octave droppers, EQ, additional distortion, etc., etc., etc., go for it.

My amp gave me the sound I wanted on its own. That's just me. Some people use no effects. I was one of them. If that makes me a "snobby purist" then I'm proud of it.

And let's not read too quickly -- I very clearly said "if you needed effects, you were doing something wrong." What I meant by that was that the amp sounded so amazing on its own, if you couldn't get an absolutely amazing sound from it, well, let's just say I really loved those amps.

I did NOT say "if you NEED EFFECTS you're doing something wrong." Use what you want - Use what you need. I don't really give a rat's rear end what people use to get their tone.

AFA the "better forum" part, isn't there a "guitar" forum or something in here? That's all I'm saying... I never see guitar-related questions in this forum...

And for the record, at one point, I had a rather large pedalboard of all sorts of crap. Distortion, overdrive, compression, etc., etc., etc., and so on. A buddy of mine said "If you need all that to get a good crunch, you're using the wrong amp." And he suggested I try the Laney. I did, I didn't need anything else. Sorry.

Why the nasty attitude, dude?
John Scrip is one of the more knowledgeable guys around here and he usually speaks in straightforward terms that are free of subjective bullshit.

I agree with John, you don't really need FX to have good tones...though if you are in need of an "FX tone", use whatever you need.
I don't recall the last time I recorded guitar with any FX pedal in the chain, it's guitar--->amp 95% of the time, though I will add some reverb during the mix, but I actually have a few dozen pedals on hand, as I never know when I might want to mess with the sound, and I have in the past used a pedal in the chain, though I've never had a need to string 3-4-5-6 pedals just to get a good tone.
Bass guitar usually goes in straight DI...no amp, no pedals, no FX.

And yes, this topic may be better off in another forum...the Guitar/Bass forum, not the Rack forum.

And yes, this topic may be better off in another forum...the Guitar/Bass forum, not the Rack forum.

That's a bit of a grey area. If you changed the word "pedal" to "rackmount", we could be talking about the same effects and nobody would take exception.

True...but the OP seemed to focus on guitar pedals...so I think he would get more "guitar pedal" answers in the Guitar forum. :)

I have a ton of guitar pedals and no guitar. (The DG-20's principle of operation is more like a keyboard on a fretboard than a guitar with tuned strings.) So I'll gladly discuss pedals wherever they come up. :D

speaking of dipshits go check out the mirror.

Absolutely no need to get snotty ...... Massive didn't say anything even remotely insulting to you.
And the suggestion that the guitar forum of HR would be better for a guitar pedal question was just being helpful.

As for your question ..... I use anywhere from no pedlas to as many as ten or so depending on the gig. Yes they affect the tone a little bit but not so much that i can't correct it with a few tweaks of the tone controls. Noisy? mmmmmm sometimes and I have specific pedals that are worse than others. I mostly only use those live where noise doesn't matter much and not in the studio where it does.

What ever LT. BOB.

The only wrong way to play is not to play at all. And if it sounds good, it is good.

If you don't use the tools that's created to expierment with new sounds, then you may get stagnent or stale. In my opinion, which of course in this instance I'm correct. Just like you need to expierment with note order, what ever your instrument may be. Keep playing the same old shit, I don't care.

I have 15 pedals, 1 multi fx unit, amp with digital fx, bass amp, and another amp. I try to play them all at once. It sounds like shit, but it's fun.

Back