Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 96 to 100 db

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • over 100 db

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turn it up to 11

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
they're supposed to be pretty trustworthy though. I really want a pair but it'll have to wait awhile

http://www.logitekaudio.com/
they make some too a little cheaper.

The great thing about ones like the Dorrough meters is that they show both peak and RMS levels.

There are also DK, Mytek, NTT, Pinguin and Sony companies that make meters

A high-tech method......

I mix and track with 2 led's (out of 5) lit on the front panel of my monitor amp. I decided on that as a standard because my reference material sounds best ( in that room with those speakers) at that level. I ( my ears) can hold out much longer and my brain's ability to process the sounds and percieve depth and dimension seems to hang in longer at a moderate level. It took me a long time to figure it out, but standing in front of a full stack for hours at a time has a cost. Though it's been a couple of years since I did that, I still occasionally get a ringing at about 6KHz, and running my studio mon's at high levels aggrevates it.
Not very precise I'm afraid but works for me>>>

chazba

^yea man, everytime my kid starts yelling and screaming, i get this horrendous scratching in my right ear, which incidentally was the one closest to my amp during band practice

Red Skelton , the comedian had a characted named PunchDrunk McGee who was always out of nowhere saying "answer the phone!" Sometimes it almost gets like that.

chazba

Yesterday I spent about 4 hrs in the basement tracking and experimenting with the automation on my yamahahaha. So finally I'm satisfied that I've got all the moves correct and I'm enjoying watching the faders dancing all over the place. Cool, I shut it down after saving the whole mess. Several hrs later I'm playing the mix for my bride ans she's watching the dance and every so often she gives me "the look" At the same time I'm listening to the mix and I can't believe my ears. What a POS, all those slick crossfades between instruments sounded like crap....the basic levels were ok but it was just enough off to make it ineffective as music. I've got to stop after like 2 hrs.

chazba

I never measure. I don't set it at one level then use that the whole time. I will switch between really really quiet. I feel as though I get a better sense of balance at the lower volume levels and can really feel how everything fits together but as I apply effects and such I'll boost it to whatever sounds good and adjust then A/B it between quite and loud till I feel finished with my mix.

Kyle

Back