• 96 to 100 db

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • over 100 db

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turn it up to 11

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
yeah yeah......

but....isn't katz assuming that you will always tend to mix at a certain loudness that you will always remember by ear? I don't see how this method could yield any sort of consistent results. unless he wants you to follow an RMS meter in addition to using your ear?

sweetnubs said:
I'd worry more the frequency response of the room you are monitoring than nitpicking between 80 and 83db. Sheesh!

We have threads about that too. If you consider this unimportant, you are free not to participate in the thread.

FALKEN said:
yeah yeah......

but....isn't katz assuming that you will always tend to mix at a certain loudness that you will always remember by ear? I don't see how this method could yield any sort of consistent results. unless he wants you to follow an RMS meter in addition to using your ear?

Katz wants you to use his K-meter system, which is set based upon the intended dynamic range of the music. I've been using it strictly for maybe three or four months now, I find it helpful.

FALKEN said:
yeah yeah......

yes, you follow both RMS metering and your ear. RMS helps you put the levels exactly where they need to be. The ear helps tell you whether it's too loud or not. But the ear is a hard thing to trust.

bennychico11 said:
yes, you follow both RMS metering and your ear. RMS helps you put the levels exactly where they need to be. The ear helps tell you whether it's too loud or not. But the ear is a hard thing to trust.
Just a friendly debate here, Ben, but frankly I don't understand this point of view at all.

If your ear tells you if it's too loud or too soft, then the metering is obviously giving you band information, not telling you "where it needs to be". Then by saying the ear is a hard thing to trust you're implying that one should give the meter priority over the ear.

That is 180° off of fundamental audio engineering by saying to trust your eyes over your ears. I mean, if you can't trust you ear, you are in the wrong business.

It's just so much easier to keep it simple and let your ear tell you if it's too loud or too soft and leave it at that. That's all a good engineer needs. And if he has good ears - which is the #1 fundamental requirement for this racket; without them all the meters in the world ain't gonna help him - the mixes will come out with a consistant level of quality without needing any documented reference standard number.

Who freaking cares what volume you or I monitor at? We monitor at whatever level we need to get the job done right, which varies constantly according to a *wide* variety of variables from mixing task at hand to program content, from the amount of ear fatigue to the humidity in the room. If you want to put a number on that, Timbo should have included an "All of the above" option in his poll selection.

G.

Glen,

are you saying that you could trust your ear, such that you could come in every day, and mix at a consistent volume, without metering, as long as your speakers were calibrated to a specific level?

I don't think I could do that.

FALKEN said:
Glen,

are you saying that you could trust your ear, such that you could come in every day, and mix at a consistent volume, without metering, as long as your speakers were calibrated to a specific level?

No and I think Katz' point is, for example, if your monitors were set too soft, you might compensate by decreasing dynamic range in the mix.

I also don't understand why measurement is derided as being "eyes" vs "ears". Get an SPL meter that has voice synthesis to tell you the reading if that is a concern ;) Or hook your monitors up to one of those bass shakers, and use your butt to feel the mix :eek: :)

eh...according the f-m curve, i try to mix around 85db, but i'm with glen here - that gets too loud for me to mix for extended periods, so i probably usually end up around 70-75db...loud enough to block out the noise of the freeway from across the street, but quiet enough to stand for hours on end

i also really like to listen to things at low volume and see if everything is still present...if i can hear the kick come out over the speeding cars, i know i'm headed in the right direction. then i'll usually blast it for a few just to make sure everything sounds good at the maxed-out level i know the band/musicians are going to be playing at for all their friends as soon as they leave

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Just a friendly debate here, Ben, but frankly I don't understand this point of view at all.

hahahha, i must first state that I was throughly drunk last night when I typed that. I'm not even 100% sure I know what I was saying. I'm surprised I was able to even find the correct keys on the keyboard to type a coherent sentence.
;)

But I think I meant RMS metering is a more trustworthy way to follow than peak metering. And I meant the overall mix. Like mshilarious said, if one day you come in and put the monitor volume at a lower level than the day before, you might find you push the faders up a little bit, increasing the RMS values.
Yes ideally a perfect engineer can trust his ears, come in and ignore meters all day long and get a perfect mix. But I wouldn't trust my ears with my life. Everyone says to trust them, but we also all say "you hearing starts deteriorating at age 20"...or "haven't you ever started EQing something and thought you heard a change in the mix, then come to find out the EQ was in bypass".....or "the producer/musician wants the guitar louder or to sound different, I don't think he needs to be."
We do put a lot trust in our ears because we have to make money. But we also have to know that they lie at times, and it's good to have meters and the like tell us what's really going on with the mix. Audio in general is so subjective which is why one engineer's mix doesn't sound like another who mixed the same thing. His ears are different...so does that mean one of them shouldn't trust their ears because he didn't hear the same thing the other engineer heard?
Don't mix with your eyes, mix with your ears; yes....but why can't you mix with BOTH ears and eyes? It doesn't have to be an either-or.

--Edit--
btw, I still can't give you any rep Glen :confused:

FALKEN said:
Glen,

are you saying that you could trust your ear, such that you could come in every day, and mix at a consistent volume.
No, what I'm saying is that I can trust my ear to mix at a consistant quality.

I'm not sure which way you mean "mix at a consistant volume", but if you mean mix with my monitors playing at a consistant volume, then no, of course I don't, and neither do most others, we all ride that volume control to some degree while mixing.

If, on the other hand, by that you mean mix so that all my mixes come out the same volume, then I'd have to say that I don't even try. I mix to the song, not to an arbitrary standard of volume. The only time I worry about matching relative volumes of the mixes is if I'm self-mastering my mixes and I want some consistancy in apparent volume from track to track on a CD compliation. But even then that's a job for the ear; different songs of different sonic densities will register entirely different RMS levels when played back at complimentary volumes.

Now, that last point is indeed something that Katz more or less addresses with his K-metering system. He acknowledges the point that differing songs with differing dynamic ranges and sonic densities can - for lack of a better term - play tricks on RMS levels and metering.

But the idea that I'll (or anyone else) is going to over-compress their mix because they are monitoring at too low of a volume is, to me IMHO, both selling the engineer short, and a misrepresenatation of how many engineer actually use differing monitoring volumes to their advantage. Personally, when I'm worried about or working on the dynamics of a track, I'm not doing that at low volume; it just doesn't make sense to do that. If you go back and read those quotes from Owsinski's book that I quoted earlier, for example, you'll see that each of those five engineers use the different monitor volume levels for different purposes or steps in the mixing process. Put another way, they don't make mistakes like setting dynamics at low volume, but rather they use high volume and low volume to be able to properly focus on different parts of the mix and work on them accordingly.

And like I alluded to in the last post, the performance of one's ears changes from day to day. Some interpret that as meaning that the ears cannot be trusted. I interpret that as meaning that the gear has to adjust to the ears. For example, I have a live gig to work tonight. I also have some unrelated audio to work at my desk tomorrow morning. Now I can guarantee you that tomorrow morning my ears will not be as sensitive as they would if I had tonight off. Am I going to just accept that and leave my monitors at some specified volume based only upon some formula or am I going to adjust them until they sound right to my ears? I'm going to adjust them.

On a similar vein, when I work at home I'm working in a less-than-perfectly controlled environment, like everyone else's house is. Simple changes in humidity by just 10% can noticably affect the sound and performance of our monitors. In quality studio control rooms this is not so much an issue, but for many of our houses (including mine), swings in humidity of 10% or more can be common, especially if the central air dehumidifier is not adjusted properly. Too much dehumidification and we have raspy vocalists and static discharges when we touch our consoles; not enough and we get humidity swings with the weather. With those humidity swings we get performace swings from out monitors (the more humid it is, the more mass the drivers have to push.) Shall I trust some static number to tell me where my volume control should be set or should I adjust for the environment? Again, I'm going to throw the numbers out and adjust them.

I didn't intend to "deride" it as eyes versus ears, it's just that's how Benny made it sound when he said to use the meters and the ears, but you can't trust the ears. EDIT: hee hee, OK, Ben, I'll let you slide for being a couple of sheets into the wind on a Friday night :D

If this numeric method works for someone, than who am I to tell them to stop? I'm nobody, that's who :rolleyes: . I'm just saying that I personally don't *understand* the need for it. It seems like a whole lot of extra work to go through for no real good reason to me.

I see no relation between consistant volume and quality mixing. And the day that I can't trust my ears is the day I gotta find another line of work.

IMHO YMMV TGIS :)

G.

FALKEN said:
so wheres a good place to get a meter at?

depends on what you are doing and how much headroom you are working with.
For very dynamic peices, -20dBFS RMS is recommended. In the music world -14 or -12 is popular.

FALKEN said:
I'm still sort of confused why 83 db was chosen. I still think its loud.
My guess that 83db in a room with 1000 people doesn't sound real loud. That's only .083 db per person. :D

no, I have an spl meter. I mean a monitoring meter like katz suggests. I guess I should stipulate that I am using analog tape for my process and he says to avoid VU meters. I believe in his process you would put the volume meter before the monitor volume pot.

Back