How bad was/is your GAS?!

How bad was your GAS??

• Obscene! ~ Pawned Grandma's silverware

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Really Bad! ~ Ate ramen for a month to pay for a stinkin preamp!

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Bad! ~ Quit playing/writing/recording until you got that one thing!

• Not so bad... ~ Just really want nice stuff!

• Not at all! ~ Immune to gear temptations (Yeah right!)

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
Psssssst Lt. you want to buy an amp? :p
sadly yes ........ yes I do.
:D

I came really really close to buying that Vox of nate_dennis' a couple of weeks ago even though I can't afford it and there's no way I could make even vague claims of needing it. But it was a great deal and , well ........ I don't have a Vox right now ....... :( .........

And I tried very hard to buy that Bugera V-5 a month ago but it didn't do what I needed so I actually took it back! OMG! :eek: I've NEVER taken a piece of gear back before!

Maybe there's hope for me yet!

sadly yes ........ yes I do.
:D

I came really really close to buying that Vox of nate_dennis' a couple of weeks ago even though I can't afford it and there's no way I could make even vague claims of needing it. But it was a great deal and , well ........ I don't have a Vox right now ....... :( .........

And I tried very hard to buy that Bugera V-5 a month ago but it didn't do what I needed so I actually took it back! OMG! :eek: I've NEVER taken a piece of gear back before!

Maybe there's hope for me yet!

What did you want it to do and in what environment?

What did you want it to do and in what environment?

I do a gig with a jazz quartet in Orlando on sax and git and it's super cramped and super quiet. It would be absurd to bring ANY of my amps so I've been using my little Marshall MG-15 POS which, at 15 watts, actually doesn't suck too bad. They all think it sounds great, I roll my eyes. :D They CANNOT have heard a good amp ever!
But it does an adequate job.

But it doesn't have 'verb which i require so I have to also bring my Rocktron Utopia also.
So the Bugera has 'verb plus there was some possibility that a tube amp might do better tone-wise.
However, at 5 watts it simply couldn't do clean loud enough even in that setting. It could get loud enough but when I did get it that loud it wasn't clean enough for me. When I'm doing jazz or country I really like a pristine clean with no break-up at all and it would do that at recording volumes but not loud enough for gigging.
But it was well built and super attractive ........ I wanted it and would have found a use for it but we're really financially stressed at the moment and the only way I was gonna spend the money was if it could do that one thing, allowing me to not bring the Rocktron .... it didn't so back it went.

Having said all of that though, I do understand GAS and I have a ruthless view towards it because it's temptation is ever lurking and waiting to strike. On a forum like HR, it's easy, when almost every thread involves questions about gear, put downs of gear, recommendations of gear, stories about gear etc, to start to think, "well, just those cheap mics that XXXXX says give great results on their toms, they couldn't hurt....." and before you know it you have a shop ! But you ain't selling !
Nah, I'm aware of temptation. The shame of walking out of a shop with something bought that I didn't really need or want or actually have any great use for ~ those memories are a great leveller !

I think we do a MUCH better job of fighting GAS here than certain other boards that will remain unmentioned. It is common here to be told to use what you have, or work on your technique, or your room, or just practice tuning your instrument or something :D . . . this is a major reason why I rearranged the fora so the gear topics weren't at the top.

I think we do a MUCH better job of fighting GAS here than certain other boards that will remain unmentioned. It is common here to be told to use what you have, or work on your technique, or your room, or just practice tuning your instrument or something :D . . . this is a major reason why I rearranged the fora so the gear topics weren't at the top.
hell ....... we even often recommend getting rid of it all and quiting music altogether!

:D:D:D

I do a gig with a jazz quartet in Orlando on sax and git and it's super cramped and super quiet. It would be absurd to bring ANY of my amps so I've been using my little Marshall MG-15 POS which, at 15 watts, actually doesn't suck too bad. They all think it sounds great, I roll my eyes. :D They CANNOT have heard a good amp ever!
But it does an adequate job.

But it doesn't have 'verb which i require so I have to also bring my Rocktron Utopia also.
So the Bugera has 'verb plus there was some possibility that a tube amp might do better tone-wise.
However, at 5 watts it simply couldn't do clean loud enough even in that setting. It could get loud enough but when I did get it that loud it wasn't clean enough for me. When I'm doing jazz or country I really like a pristine clean with no break-up at all and it would do that at recording volumes but not loud enough for gigging.
But it was well built and super attractive ........ I wanted it and would have found a use for it but we're really financially stressed at the moment and the only way I was gonna spend the money was if it could do that one thing, allowing me to not bring the Rocktron .... it didn't so back it went.

I thought that you would use it live which as you say isn't all that good unless your micing it up through the PA. But I'm sure that it would shine in the studio right Lt.?

I thought that you would use it live which as you say isn't all that good unless your micing it up through the PA. But I'm sure that it would shine in the studio right Lt.?
I think it'd sound fine in the studio ........ not sure I'd go all the way up to 'shine'. But for some of the folks here who can't afford anything expensive and who only have a SS piece of crap practice amp like my Marshall MG15, I think it would be a very solid choice for a small price.
It can run at 5 , 1 or I think 1/10 watt and has a passable sounding digital 'verb.
I'll just mic up my Mark V or Blue Angel or Orange or Ampeg or Fender :D so I have no need for it in the studio.

But I was fairly impressed with it as a studio amp ...... way better than most of the $150 amps I've heard.

I think we do a MUCH better job of fighting GAS here than certain other boards that will remain unmentioned. It is common here to be told to use what you have, or work on your technique, or your room, or just practice tuning your instrument or something . . . this is a major reason why I rearranged the fora so the gear topics weren't at the top.

Dude, I dont get that icky feeling on this forum like I do on "certain other boards that will remain unmentioned." I thank you for that, here I participate in a community, get the help I need, and walk away NOT feeling like I need a few showers! ;)

Seriously, on another forum I almost drove myself crazy and made almost NO music until one honest soul told me that what I had didnt sound as bad as I thought it did, I just didnt really know how to use it! I still dont, not like I would like to, but buying more stuff would only serve to dilute what little knowledge I posess :D

That said, I still do find myself daydreaming about gear that rhymes with freight sliver or interfaces with good drivers ;)

I thank you all for helping me to continue to make music, I think that is what this place is all about- helping people further their craft and just make better music, regardless of whether they are standing in front of a U87 or an sm58 :D

It's called a soldering iron ;)
Yeah I have one of those, but I am guessing you also have the patience and experience neccesary to assemble something like what 7th circle audio puts out... If I did that it would be to keep, not to sell ;)

So what do you put together, preamps mostly?

Yeah I have one of those, but I am guessing you also have the patience and experience neccesary to assemble something like what 7th circle audio puts out... If I did that it would be to keep, not to sell ;)

So what do you put together, preamps mostly?

Design & assemble, I don't work from kits. Mics & preamps, more the latter these days. Although Christmas is busy for mics, I've done about 50 this week . . . :eek: Preamps are more of a well-considered purchase, nobody stuffs stockings with them.

dang dude! I wish somebody would stock my stockings with that kind of stuff! :laughings:

As well as not being blessed with perfect pitch or rythym, my fine motor skills (and patience) keep me from such endevours, but kudos to your for your ability! Hey somebody's got to do it, right?!

On the GAS front, instrument purchases could fall under that catagory if excessive, a local music shop owner I know must have like 50 guitars! Not saying you have it, just that you are not exempt just because you buy instruments and not gear ;)

Yeah there is a limit. You can have 50 instruments and not have GAS, but only if they are different kinds of instrument . . .

I have 229 organ pipes; that doesn't count though! :o

Back