How bad was/is your GAS?!

How bad was your GAS??

• Obscene! ~ Pawned Grandma's silverware

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Really Bad! ~ Ate ramen for a month to pay for a stinkin preamp!

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Bad! ~ Quit playing/writing/recording until you got that one thing!

• Not so bad... ~ Just really want nice stuff!

• Not at all! ~ Immune to gear temptations (Yeah right!)

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
Damn....
I used to be a total gear whore.
RODE NTK
RODE NT3
Sure SM58
Beta 58
a number of other mics, too many stands, a 200W PA system with 15" cabs....
too many cables
a drum kit
keyboard...
YIKES!

...things are much simpler now. Though I still wish I never sold that NTK.

I'm bad, real bad, placed myself at the top. Didn't pawn grannies silver, she did that for beer and cigarettes long before they'd have come to me, but I have been hitting the savings account recently to buy shit, which I vowed never to do. In the past 6 or so months got 12 mics (14 in total, hey they all do something), a bass (I needed a Buzzard, you know it's essential) an acoustic guitar (another necessity, never had one before, can you believe it?), the Fostex 16 track, not really what I wanted, the Tascam interface, great tool, and the Zoom interface, that IS what I wanted all along (I'll get the Tascam and Zoom working together so I can justify that, trust me), Marshall Micro Stack (needed a real guitar amp, this thing rawks), drum pad to fart around with, hammered dulcimer, keyboard, hang drum, headphones and monitors, that kinda shit. Man is this fun.

Buzzard, buzzard. If you stop and learn to use the stuff you have, it will be a wonderful thing, if you continue to buy stuff at the same rate, you will be horribly unhappy when you dont have enough money to buy the next thing ;)
One of the best things that happened recently was when I DID run out of money and HAD to make peace with what I had, really starting to learn how to use it in the process!

My GAS was bad. I mean insatiable. Ask around--I used to buy almost everything that was listed for sale on this board. And then there was the local music stores. And eBay. And Craigslist.

But no more.

What changed, you ask? I'm glad you asked...

I actually built a studio. You see, before the studio, I had a "space," but it was very disorganized. Thus it was very easy for me to lose track of what I had and think I needed more! But I built my studio with the express purpose of having everything at hand and connected--ready to play and/or record at a moment's notice.

The result? I love my studio, but it looks as much like a music store as a studio. As such it is a constant reminder that not only do I not need any more gear, but I haven't begun to get my money's worth out of the gear I do have.

So I haven't bought a thing since the studio was completed. And I'm happy with that!

I've never been affected by GAS. I truly don't care about having a bunch of gear. I like making do with my simple, cheap shit.

One of the best things that happened recently was when I DID run out of money and HAD to make peace with what I had, really starting to learn how to use it in the process!

I'm at that point right now. Not that I didn't need the basic rig (eq, comp, reverb, patchbay) that I recently put together, as those are essential to a hands-on learning experience. Mousing around in a DAW or trying to program a plasticky control surface isn't the same experience as twiddling real knobs. Up until recently, I had been watching my budget and buying things on Ebay in the $75 to $125 range. Consequently, I ended up with a lot of amateurish, plasticky Chinese-made gear. I finally decided that if I was ever going to have a decent studio setup, I'd have to go all-out and get real gear.

I actually built a studio. You see, before the studio, I had a "space," but it was very disorganized.

This is part of it too. I simply didn't have enough space to set all my gear up in one place at the same time so that I could spread out and do something useful with it. I just had a bunch of stuff crammed into my bedroom, with no room to move around. I would connect a few devices together for awhile and then take it all apart to hook some other things up. Having enough room to organize everything into a comprehensive workflow makes all the difference. So, while I haven't gone so far as to build bass traps and all that yet, at least I'm finally on the right track.

I don't get the whole "I must touch a potentiometer" crowd. Why not touch the capacitors and ICs too? Or lick the pins on a tube socket?

It's the same crowd as the "just turn off your (LCD) monitor and use your ears, man" people. OK, jackass, you do an edit with your ears instead of your fingers, and I ain't talking DAW, I mean splice a tape with your earlobe :p

What? You don't really mix with your ears, you use your fingers and maybe your eyes too? Cowards, close your eyes and use the Force as you twiddle your console! Why does that thing have a 57 VU meter bridge anyway? So it's true you need more than one sense to do a mix, isn't it?

Someday there will be a DAW that responds directly to brainwaves. The "mix with your ears" crowd should love it, but they won't :rolleyes: They would prefer a tape deck that did punches when they farted :laughings:

Also, if you own 97 mics and your first name isn't "Abbey", you need a 12-step program. The first 11 steps involve selling mics on eBay :p

Well, it's impossible to explain an artist's sensibilities to a strict rationalist.

Incidentally, I diagnosed a faulty synth circuit once by touching the capacitors. :p

Last edited:
Don't be an ass. I like VSTs just fine. I just don't like shitty software interfaces. I also don't own any analog tape recorders. I don't own any tape machines at all, for that matter. Just a stack of Compact Flash cards and a hard drive.

Well I just don't agree that any particular type of hardware is essential to the learning experience. That is false and needs to be opposed, lest another poor newb by mislead into wasting their money.

All hardware teaches you is some fine motor skills. It's possible to create an excellent mix without any fine motor skills at all, just need a voice interface or something.

And those learned motor skills create a preference that is then expressed as a false absolute. It would be like me saying that pipe organ sucks because I have learned to play guitar. Unfortunately, the pipe organ is the king of instruments, and the guitar is a limited, boring parlor instrument that needs giant amplifiers to command attend (but still not much interest).

Note that I am not arguing that hardware vs. software sounds "better", or whatever. I don't really care, honestly, but you are stating that people should acquire '80s vintage low-end outboard as an essential part of the learning experience. Sorry, a lot of that sounded like crap (yet it was still really expensive by current standards back in the day). It might not have broken, kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy since if it broke 25 years ago you wouldn't see it for sale now.

Bottom line, the newb is always better off with less gear rather than more. This is why GAS is a disease.

... you are stating that people should acquire '80s vintage low-end outboard as an essential part of the learning experience.

Ummm... no. I'm not saying anyone should do anything contrary to their own preferences. I'm just saying that's what works best for me. Trying to position an onscreen pan pot with a mouse with any degree of grace or precision simply doesn't work for me. Twisting a physical knob with my fingers doesn't require any new motor skills I haven't already learned in 40 years of messing with electronics. YMMV.

my gas is fairly severe but not recording gear so much although I have a goodly amount of that.
But mainly, for me, guitars and amps and pedals. I've had hundreds of guitars .... now I have 15 ..... and hundreds of amps too .... right now I have ..... ummmmm ...... 13 of those and about 70 pedals.
If I had any money I'd be buying something right now .......... it's a sickness.

See that I agree with. Use whatever you like. But you haven't been around long enough to see the legion of newbs that ask how to configure their compressor in their patchbay for tracking and mixing when they haven't even figured out which way to point their seven new microphones and oh yes what is "threshold". Painful.

Back in my day, nobody could afford a compressor, so you rode the faders with microsecond accuracy! Fiddle-di-dum, we loved it! And we licked our tube sockets because we we ignorant morons, just a bunch of bald-headed freaks with rabbit skins tied around our privates standing in a hurricane! O happy day! :D

See that I agree with. Use whatever you like. But you haven't been around long enough to see the legion of newbs that ask how to configure their compressor in their patchbay for tracking and mixing when they haven't even figured out which way to point their seven new microphones and oh yes what is "threshold". Painful.

I keep telling the n00bs to read Mixing Audio and they'll understand compressors, reverbs, etc. inside and out. One of these days they'll believe me. :D

Back in my day, nobody could afford a compressor, so you rode the faders with microsecond accuracy! Fiddle-di-dum, we loved it! And we licked our tube sockets because we we ignorant morons, just a bunch of bald-headed freaks with rabbit skins tied around our privates standing in a hurricane! O happy day! :D

Or tossing a charged capacitor to someone and saying "Here, catch!" Good times, good times! :laughings:

I've never been affected by GAS. I truly don't care about having a bunch of gear. I like making do with my simple, cheap shit.
Yep ! In life I refuse to have anything that I don't use. I hate the concept of loads of unused stuff and I hate wasting money. Whatever I have, I use. And on top of that, I'm a cheapskate ! This is a hobby for me, albeit a passionate one. But If punk rock left two things of lasting value, one was {at least initially, before it went the way of everything else} the notion that making good, exciting (even complicated) satisfying music was neither complex nor dependent on top of the range gear, that you could have a £30 guitar and a three string £27 bass and a beat up drumkit and record it and have fun. Naive ? Well, maybe. But not to me.
Last week there was a thread in which a guy had $3000 to spend on stuff. That equates to £1908 and some change. I could kit myself out with that and the stuff would last me till it could no longer be used !
Cheapskatery has it's plus points !

Or tossing a charged capacitor to someone and saying "Here, catch!" Good times, good times!
Ouch!

rabbit skins tied around our
Ouch?

I've had hundreds of guitars .... now I have 15 ..... and hundreds of amps too .... right now I have ..... ummmmm ...... 13 of those and about 70 pedals.
Ouch?!

Seriously though,
Cowards, close your eyes and use the Force as you twiddle your console!

.......... it's a sickness
Never Again!! (Who has heard that before?)

my gas is fairly severe but not recording gear so much although I have a goodly amount of that.
But mainly, for me, guitars and amps and pedals. I've had hundreds of guitars .... now I have 15 ..... and hundreds of amps too .... right now I have ..... ummmmm ...... 13 of those and about 70 pedals.
If I had any money I'd be buying something right now .......... it's a sickness.

Psssssst Lt. you want to buy an amp? :p

Back