Hopes of Metal,Solos,and Speed coming back strong...

metalhead28 said:
You're suprised I'M not backing you up? For what argument, that real metal died off after the 80's and you wish it would come back? That is just plain silly.

This seems like an offshoot of your "Who killed metal?" thread. My answer to this is about the same...You just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Dude, anybody who is a real metal fan and has been for any length of time is going to realize that you are just some kid who doesn't even understand what that era was like. It seems like you're trying to be cool or "old school" or something along those lines by harping on the good old days (which occured quite a few years before your time in fact :p ). I'm not going to back you up because I think what you're saying is ridiculous and uninformed. I used to get ridiculed in middle school and even high school for wearing Metallica t-shirts. People like me used to get into trouble over the music we listened to. I knew maybe 3 other guys at my school that listened to metal. There were never any metal shows anywhere near my home town. Metal was not big at all. I found out about new bands through tape trading and waiting for newsletters in the mail. Metal was so underground back then it's not even funny. The mainstream stuff was not the same. Metallica was not mainstream, not until around 89 or 90. I never even heard Metallica on the radio before the Black Album came out. Metallica is huge now but when they were actually a good band they were still pretty taboo....just like all of the good bands from that time. Nowadays Kerry King comes and does promotional events at music stores in Kentucky for pete's sake! I don't remember him doing that after South of Heaven came out......? You are too young to understand what the "glory days" were really like. Metal is WAY bigger now.
The only thing I can figure is that you're talking about hair metal....but you specifically said that you were not....I don't even know what the hell you're talking about any more.
I have been listening to metal and pretty much only metal since the mid 80's. Back then I stopped paying attention to the radio and started diving into the underground. The early 90's did bring about the downfall of radio friendly metal and the introduction of grunge or whatever the hell it was....but do you think that everybody that loved metal or played metal at that point decided..."Well shit, I guess I've gotta hang it up...nobody likes metal anymore"? Hell no, we didn't even really notice. :cool:
Don't be stupid. It's there. It's always been there. Stop acting like it went away. You just didn't know about it.

If you want speed, there are several bands that break the 300 BPM barrier nowadays. There are bands pushing the boundaries in every way that people never dreamed of in the 80's. Including lead guitar....make that ESPECIALLY lead guitar. Again...you just don't know about it.

And who gives a shit what's on the radio?

Rant over..... :D

Hmmmm...you actually prove a point. Atleast to me. Ofcourse I don't think Metal is dead but I think its too underground. BUT I had no idea it was THAT underground back in the day too. :( I guess Im a little disappointed but dont get me wrong, I KNOW METAL, I KNOW WHERE TO FIND IT, AND I MYSELF PLAY METAL...

myhatbroke said:
Hmmmm...you actually prove a point. Atleast to me. Ofcourse I don't think Metal is dead but I think its too underground. BUT I had no idea it was THAT underground back in the day too. :( I guess Im a little disappointed but dont get me wrong, I KNOW METAL, I KNOW WHERE TO FIND IT, AND I MYSELF PLAY METAL...

No you don't, your a jackass kid changing his own story around. You know nothing of metal. I have never listened to the radio. I never will. My music library consists of over 4,000 mp3s of bands you probably haven't even heard of. I bet you can't even name 5 European bands off the top of your head. Seriously, just stop. I'm not joking. Your making a fool out of yourself.

For shit's sake, you compared Black Sabbath and Metallica. Shame on you.

EDIT: that library is mostly on cd's too!!! :D I support my bands.

myhatbroke said:
Hmmmm...you actually prove a point. Atleast to me. Ofcourse I don't think Metal is dead but I think its too underground....

That is where metal should be. Underground. That is one of it's defining elements..... The metal stuff that breaks out in the mainstream is more than likely going to be manufactured crap or talentless bandwagon jumpers. If you like that stuff, fine. But don't call it real metal. Just becasue some of them are lifting their act from the good 80's bands does not give them any cred. Either way they are nothing but whores. If I have to look at one more of those screamo faggots in Guitar World talking about "we're bringing back guitar solos" I'm going to vomit and most likely bomb their headquarters. If they were really respectful of metal they wouldn't say bullshit like that..and in turn misinformed kids like you would not start ridiculous topics like this one.

Stop trying to act like a metal fan. If you were you would never say something like "it's too underground". That makes it sound like you just want the pretty chicks to like it too and think it's cool that you like it.
Liking metal is supposed to piss people off dammit! It's not supposed to be cool except to other metalheads! ;)

Cyrokk said:
I had "Sold My Fortune" in my head since it hit underground radio in the mid-nineties. I missed the original "buy" window and it wasn't until ten years later that I was able to track down a copy of the album in a used cd bin.

Excellent album.
I remember I bought it off that one song, and hoped it was a decent album....I still listen to it today.

Man, if you want the 80s reborn, then listen to Dragonforce and some of the other power metal bands out there. If metal were to get really mainstream like you want it too, it would be no different from the Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears.

As far as emo goes, it evolved from hardcore, like that link said. Mostly around the DC scene in the early 80s (Rites of Spring, Fugazi, Embrace), it was then made more popular by Sunny Day Real Estate in the early 90s, and then evolved into what you know it to be today.

I'm young too, so I don't know what it was like in the 80s, and I don't want to know. I want to know what the future is for music, no point in reliving the past.

metalhead28 said:
You're suprised I'M not backing you up? For what argument, that real metal died off after the 80's and you wish it would come back? That is just plain silly.

This seems like an offshoot of your "Who killed metal?" thread. My answer to this is about the same...You just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Dude, anybody who is a real metal fan and has been for any length of time is going to realize that you are just some kid who doesn't even understand what that era was like. It seems like you're trying to be cool or "old school" or something along those lines by harping on the good old days (which occured quite a few years before your time in fact :p ). I'm not going to back you up because I think what you're saying is ridiculous and uninformed. I used to get ridiculed in middle school and even high school for wearing Metallica t-shirts. People like me used to get into trouble over the music we listened to. I knew maybe 3 other guys at my school that listened to metal. There were never any metal shows anywhere near my home town. Metal was not big at all. I found out about new bands through tape trading and waiting for newsletters in the mail. Metal was so underground back then it's not even funny. The mainstream stuff was not the same. Metallica was not mainstream, not until around 89 or 90. I never even heard Metallica on the radio before the Black Album came out. Metallica is huge now but when they were actually a good band they were still pretty taboo....just like all of the good bands from that time. Nowadays Kerry King comes and does promotional events at music stores in Kentucky for pete's sake! I don't remember him doing that after South of Heaven came out......? You are too young to understand what the "glory days" were really like. Metal is WAY bigger now.
The only thing I can figure is that you're talking about hair metal....but you specifically said that you were not....I don't even know what the hell you're talking about any more.
I have been listening to metal and pretty much only metal since the mid 80's. Back then I stopped paying attention to the radio and started diving into the underground. The early 90's did bring about the downfall of radio friendly metal and the introduction of grunge or whatever the hell it was....but do you think that everybody that loved metal or played metal at that point decided..."Well shit, I guess I've gotta hang it up...nobody likes metal anymore"? Hell no, we didn't even really notice. :cool:
Don't be stupid. It's there. It's always been there. Stop acting like it went away. You just didn't know about it.

If you want speed, there are several bands that break the 300 BPM barrier nowadays. There are bands pushing the boundaries in every way that people never dreamed of in the 80's. Including lead guitar....make that ESPECIALLY lead guitar. Again...you just don't know about it.

And who gives a shit what's on the radio?

Rant over..... :D

I raise my glass to Metalhead for this post, and completely agree. I'll never forget being loaned a Kill Em All cassette as soon as it came out and ruining my hearing with it while delivering newspapers in the neighborhood. It was like the most extreme underground shit going. I had to hide that tape from my mom, and from a lot of schoolmates because I got laughed at too and well, it wasn't Ratt, or Debbie Gibson or whatever. Metallica were, no lie, THE biggest selling metal band going before they hit ANY radio, and before they had any videos at all. Pure word of mouth. I remember exactly how completely amazed that Enter Sandman was on the radio. Then again, I was most definately one of those die hards that were screaming 'sell out', and wondering where all the elaborate song sections, and speed went. I still kind of wonder that actually.....And don't get me started on what it was like to hear Reign in Blood the week it came out at age 15 or 16. I was scared shitless....in a good way.

IronFlippy said:
As far as emo goes, it evolved from hardcore, like that link said. Mostly around the DC scene in the early 80s (Rites of Spring, Fugazi, Embrace), it was then made more popular by Sunny Day Real Estate in the early 90s, and then evolved into what you know it to be today.

Right on, except I don't buy into the whole "evolving into what we know it as today" BS. The garbage that gets pushed as emo on MTV and in magazines today has zero to do with actual emo bands.

If you want a new band that kicks it back to the old school, listen to Municipal Waste, think of how they remind you of DRI, and be happy.

peopleperson said:
I was scared shitless....in a good way.

yea, i remember when i first started listening to ozzy and slayer. it was like watching a scary movie. i was probably about 12 and that stuff scared the hell out of me but it kept me coming back. some times i'd get creeped out and could'nt finish listening to a song. what made it even more scary was that my mom was telling me that it was the devil's music.......and i had that poster of ozzy sitting in a throne glaring his vampire teeth. ahhh, the good old days. :D

No doubt Travis. I miss the days when Ozzy was scary in a non 'crazy old lady' kind of way. My mom totally bought into all that media stuff about how bad heavy metal music was for kids, while all the boring mainstream stuff was jam packed with role models.

To quote Bill Hicks, "since when is mediocrity and banality good role models for our children? I want my rock stars dead and choking on their own vomit"

peopleperson said:
No doubt Travis. I miss the days when Ozzy was scary in a non 'crazy old lady' kind of way. My mom totally bought into all that media stuff about how bad heavy metal music was for kids, while all the boring mainstream stuff was jam packed with role models.

To quote Bill Hicks, "since when is mediocrity and banality good role models for our children? I want my rock stars dead and choking on their own vomit"

you should put that quote in your sig. remember geraldo bashing ozzy on the air? i wanted to wrap my skateboard around his head. i think that's about the time that i realized that the media are a bunch of bullshitters.

Haha, oh fuck, yeah I do remember that. Now Ozzy's meeting the Queen, and being invited to presidential banquets. Oh how shit changes...Reagan wanted people like Ozzy out of the public spotlight. Bush invites him to dinner.

Yeah, it's insanely redundant just how retarded the media is in general. It's so obvious that it's not even worth the breath anymore.

Anomaly Design said:
No you don't, your a jackass kid changing his own story around. You know nothing of metal. I have never listened to the radio. I never will. My music library consists of over 4,000 mp3s of bands you probably haven't even heard of. I bet you can't even name 5 European bands off the top of your head. Seriously, just stop. I'm not joking. Your making a fool out of yourself.

For shit's sake, you compared Black Sabbath and Metallica. Shame on you.

EDIT: that library is mostly on cd's too!!! :D I support my bands.
How OLD are you?? I bet I could kick your ass any day on a GUITAR duel. YOU WANT 5 BANDS?? ILL GIVE YOU MORE THAN 5

The Forsaken,Necrostrike,Dark Tranquality,Arch Enemy,Amon Amarth,Children of Bodom,Human Ground,Creature,Metsatoll,Agressor,Echo Silence,Obscured...(GASP) Mortified,Embryctomy,Loits,Night Wish, Therion..... :D

myhatbroke said:
Ill look into them ;)

Yeah do. They're not for everyone sure, but I'm a huge fan. It's somewhat challenging stuff, they're not the most straight ahead band, but it's still very fucking metal. The guitars and drumming are nothing less than consistantly stellar, and I have yet to hear another metal band do nearly anything as amazing with actual polyrhythms.

It's just my opinion, but I think they're the shit.

Last edited:
Cyrokk said:
Grunge wasn't really a revolution to begin with, but was the next wave that rose when the other metal forms descended from popularity. STP, AIC, Sugartooth, Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and many other Sub-pop label bands were simply taking what Sabbath started with "Master of Reality" and updating the form: a slower, heavier version of metal that was laced with the same style of solos that made Hetfield want to pick up the guitar begin with.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, most metal fans love Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger", AIC's "Dirt" (which was Lars favorite album during its heyday), STP's "Core", and much of the catalog of bands like Kyuss and Helmet. Metal fans call it "Stoner Metal".

To the casual listener though, it's "Grunge", and this term-just like "Nu-metal"- was coined by those who liked this slower, heavier style but wanted to distance themselves from what the general public considers metal (big hair, spandex, guitar wankery), and what the more extreme fans consider metal (thrash, death, black metal, etc).

Excellant and well put. I was 15 when the Nevermind album came out. I was like "holy cow what is this". Before I was listening to GNR, Metallica, Slayer, and even The Cure. Like you said it was a true alternative.
But now it's out of control and the alternative doesn't exist. The music industry has almost turned into what TV wrestling has. New and upcoming bands that do there on thing and rock probably will have the tuffest time in reaching the top.

With me it's not the gernre of rock or metal it's the wholesomeness of the music. IF it's good it's good.

Back