Hi, I'm Dan

danielpettitt

Hi everyone at home recordings forum,

Although I've been a member for sometime, I haven't really posted, so I thought I'd kind of introduce myself in the newbie section.

I did post a few questions on the forum, but haven't got any replies yet: I don't know if anyone can help out with a few tips?

1. I use Cubase 5: normalisation, noise reduction, gate, eq preset, compression preset, limiter preset, (reverb if vocals), mastering option & on the overall mix a maximiser and multi band compressor preset. Any tips as to what else I could think about? I've looked a few youtube vids on instructions, but I'm not that versed in the software, quite tricky to follow sometimes but I've got this far anyway. I have a basic understanding of EQ, so I can tweak a track.

2. On the volume levels, it goes into the yellow a bit when volume is up, I didn't think this was a problem, however, I listened to some tracks on my cheap mp3 player and the vocals were distorting slightly? Any ideas?

3. I've been restoring all of my (a big bag's worth) of old tascam 4 track material, here's a sample (I hope that's ok mods and admins), anyone want to give me any tips, the problem I've found is it's only 4 tracks, quite basic, rhythm guitar and vocal on one track etc:

Dropbox File:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lzsofyoaj5nw4ph/AAAx2N4mQSz_Rd4IHWMtgPbva?dl=0

Thanks guy and gals for reading, it's appreciated,

Dan :)

Hello Dan,

Welcome to the forums, just because you have Reverbs, EQ, Gates, compression etc... in a software doesn't mean you have to use them all. Just when it applies ;)

2. Try lowering the volume or search for the peak on the waveform where it cracks or is distorted and apply either a limiter or a little bit of compression.
If you are just getting started search for some DVD's like the Allan Parsons' "The Art & Science Of Sound Recording" This will help you understand a little bit more how everything works.

Alan Parsons' DVD Tutorials :  | http://www.steinberg.net/

Best regards,
GN

Back