help!!!

so the saga of the 603 mod continues.

thanks again to antichef for sending more caps!!! :)

here's what's happening: i replaced the input cap that i somehow blew, so i now have a signal. unfortunately, the scratchy static noise is still there. it's sort of constant, but not consistent. like it breaks up and goes up and down in amplitude erratically. any ideas what is wrong? i've combed through the thing with a meter and as far as i can tell all my connections are ok, and i haven't found anything grounded that shouldn't be, but i could be missing something. i'm really hung up on the idea that this is a ground problem, but maybe you guys have other suggestion? would this happen if another component was blown?

hope you can help me. thanks.

Make sure you clean the flux from the boards! Get a brush and some strong rubbing alcohol. You can scrape away largish chunks with a small flat tip screw driver.

i've never seen a build-up of fluxshit cause anything like this... though obviously it's not a bad idea...

check the check the orientation of the cap... ive seen problems from gay or disoriented electrolytics...

i used a liquid flux that barely touched anything at all, but i'll look the thing over. as for orientation, the caps aren't directional are they? :confused:

i give up.

so i cleaned the board with alcohol, didn't help.

checked connections and components for the millionth time, everything checks out, and i'm using a fluke 177--not exactly a fisher price meter.

i threw it across the room, hooked my old 603s back up as OHs.

never ever again will i attempt a mod.

ack! (actually - I opened up my ACM-3 yesterday and screwed it up :) -- can't get the dainty leads from the Lundahl to stay soldered to where they're supposed to go - argh.).

Have you tried switching capsules to see if the problem follows the capsule or not?

..way over my head. But, what happened to your cute, Inspector Clouseau-style picture, dross? I liked that one. Did it not represent you properly? ...

..way over my head. But, what happened to your cute, Inspector Clouseau-style picture, dross? I liked that one. Did it not represent you properly? ...

lol, dogbreath recently requested i change my avatar to some boobs, and who am i to argue with the voice of reason? :D

ack! (actually - I opened up my ACM-3 yesterday and screwed it up :) -- can't get the dainty leads from the Lundahl to stay soldered to where they're supposed to go - argh.).

Have you tried switching capsules to see if the problem follows the capsule or not?

*DING*

this is where things get really weird. i put my old pair back up over the drums--mind you, this pair i've never even opened up.

i turn on the pre, and i'm getting a similar rumble from the right OH. now i'm really pissed. so i check the cord and pre with other mics, and they're fine. so in a last-ditch effort, i swap the capsule with the modded one that was working. rumble disappears.

now, how on earth did an untouched mic end up with a bad capsule??? in any event, i suspect that this is indeed the problem with the bad modded one, but i can't even bring myself to look at those damn mics now that they're tucked away in their cases. i'll probably try swapping capsules sooner or later just to sate my curiosity.

good call man. i think you're probably right. and thanks again for sending all those caps. it was a learning experience to say the least. :o

Helpful tip for future mic modders: cut the old transformer out with wire cutters and leave most of the length of each wire still attached to the mic. That way when you put in the new transformer, you are just soldering one wire to another and a monkey could do it blindfolded. :D

Back