Help with some software for mixing down...

elmerfunk

To Infinity..and Beyond!!
I have an all analog studio. Tascam MSR-16 1/2" 16 track, Tascam 38 1/2" 8 track, tons of effects and processors. I'm wondering what kind of software is out there for me to mix down to. All I want is software I can mix down in and burn CD's or make them mp3's. I'm not really interested in editing capabilities etc. at this point. I just want to be able to take my stuff and mix it to mp3 or CD right away. Any suggestions? Thanks

Seems your looking for something cheap like garage band. Than firewire or usb your analog system to computer. I use Sonar. Many choices. Do read up.

The cost isn't going to be so much in the software, it's going to be in conversion. If you want to mix down 16 tracks in the computer, you need 16 channels of A/D conversion. As far as not needing editing, it's going to come with the software mixing and recording package, and I can't imagine spending the money for all that A/D and not reaping the benefits of digital editing.
There's lots of software to choose from, use search. Right now a good deal is Samplitude SE, at $49. I use the Professional version (over a grand), and they just started the introductory SE version. For the limited functions you want, it will give you that and a whole lot more.

I think what he means is that he will only be sending the 2 track to the computer to burn because he will mix down externally using all that juicy tape and outboard processors, am I correct?

if he all needs is a 2-track input to send his mixdown to the computer, a firepod or m-box or any of the 2647890580542342 2-track interfaces available on the market will work fine, and most run roughly $200

CARTER...you are correct sir....

Basically all I need is software to basically take the place of a 2 track machine or cassette player. I have a Tascam 38 that I could mix down to 2 tracks, but I still need to get the stereo mix to the computer. I just want to use all the fat juicy analog stuff I have and convert the stereo tracks to mp3 to burn to CD. Yeah I know Cakewalk and the others are awesome you can blow all the tracks in there and edit, but I am just not ready for that yet. What about Cubase?? A friend of mine has it and offered to give me the discs to load it up on my computer. Is that something that will work or not? Throw me a frickin' bone here. I really suck at the new era of recording. Thanks guys

elmerfunk said:
What about Cubase?? A friend of mine has it and offered to give me the discs to load it up on my computer. Is that something that will work or not?
If your friend is using a legal copy of the software, then no, it won't work on your machine. Steinberg uses dongle-based copy protection.

You haven't mentioned whether you're using a Mac or a Wintel computer. If it's Wintel, look into either the Sound Forge/CD Architect bundle from Sony or Wavelab from Steinberg. Those are the two go-to two-track mastering and burning for those who don't have a thousand dollars to spend on software.

G.

Gtp3

I believe the demo version of GTP3 will let you record 2 tracks. I know you don't get all the effects and Amplitube. Also it has to be one of the easier programs to figure out if you don't like reading manuals.

Back