Help with Computer/MIDI connections

pianoman1976

Hello,

I need some advice as to how to properly connect my MIDI cables. I use a Roland piano controller and a rack mounted Roland XV-3080 sound module. I have an iMac with an M-Audio Ozonic firewire interface. I've had no problem hooking everything up correctly in order to send MIDI from my piano to both my XV-3080 and my computer.

I've installed a Roland XV-3080 software editor and librarian program in my iMac. I assume for this program to access my XV module, I need to send MIDI OUT from my computer (through my Ozonic interface) to the XV module, correct? I'm already using the MIDI IN on my XV module (connected to MIDI OUT from my piano) so I'm confused as to how to get another MIDI signal into the XV. I'm sure it involves MIDI THRU yet I'm new to this and could use a little 411.

Thanks.

get a dedicated interface with more ports. With software editors, the case is almost always that they need a "full loop" meaning that it needs to communicate to the device and have parameters sent from the device, this takes up both ports. The work around would be to put a merge box in line with the midi outs of the XV and you controller going into the midi in of your Ozonic

get a dedicated interface with more ports. With software editors, the case is almost always that they need a "full loop" meaning that it needs to communicate to the device and have parameters sent from the device, this takes up both ports. The work around would be to put a merge box in line with the midi outs of the XV and you controller going into the midi in of your Ozonic

I have a Yamaha YME8 MIDI expander:

http://www.tokaimusic.com/shop/t/tokai/img-lib/spd_20071129134814_b.jpg

Will this work? If so, I would appreciate being told exactly how to hook it up.

Thanks.

that should work. Connect the midi outs from the controller and XV to the midi in 1 and 2 and the midi thru to your maudio. Make sure the switches are set correctly so both ins are routed to the thru

that should work. Connect the midi outs from the controller and XV to the midi in 1 and 2 and the midi thru to your maudio. Make sure the switches are set correctly so both ins are routed to the thru

I feel like a monkey in one of those logic experiments. I'm still stuck. Take a close look at the picture of my YME8. It seems as if both IN's cannot be routed together to a THRU. Selecting one of the IN's to either the top or bottom bank of THRU's disables the other IN from going to that same bank.

I may be mildy retarderd, so please verify this.

I feel like a monkey in one of those logic experiments. I'm still stuck. Take a close look at the picture of my YME8. It seems as if both IN's cannot be routed together to a THRU. Selecting one of the IN's to either the top or bottom bank of THRU's disables the other IN from going to that same bank.

I may be mildy retarderd, so please verify this.

If that is the case, then no it wont work.. Sorry

Back