Help connecting my equipment

marcsteven22

Here is a list of what I have currently. I am having trouble figuring out how to connect it all. Could anyone provide some guidance? Also, I have adobe audition
  • Microphones (2) Shure SM7B Dynamic Vocal Microphone
  • Headphones (2) Sennheiser Professional HD 280 PRO Over-Ear Monitoring Headphones
  • Audio recorder (1) Tascam DR-100MKIII Linear PCM Recorder
  • Headphone amplifier (1) Behringer POWERPLAY HA8000 8 Channel High-Power Headphones Mixing and Distribution Amplifier
  • Audio mixer (1) Behringer Xenyx X1222USB Mixer with USB and Effects
  • Audio interface (1) Universal Audio Volt 2 USB Audio Interface
  • Desk mounted microphone stand (2) Gator Frameworks Deluxe Desk-Mounted Broadcast Microphone Boom Stand For Podcasts & Recording, Integrated XLR Cable
  • Cable (2) Amazon Basics 2-Pack XLR Microphone Cable for Speaker or PA System, All Copper Conductors, 6MM PVC Jacket, 10 Foot
  • Cable (1) DISINO 1/4 inch TRS Cable, Heavy Duty 6.35mm Male to Male Stereo Jack Balanced Audio Path Cord Interconnect Cable

Well, two mics into the arms integrated cables, then to the mixer using two xlr cables. Headphone amp connected to the two mixer jacks, headphone amp has the headphones plugged in. The xlr outputs of the mixer to the recorder. The interface needs a signal to get the mixer audio into the computer, so you need some cables rca phono to ¼” jacks would do that, and then two more jack to jack to get computer audio back to the mixer.

This is a faff. If you want no computer, the mixer to recorder works. If you want to do things in the computer forget the recorder. The interface is perfectly workable as the headphone amp would connect direct to it. What are you hoping to do? How do you want to use it? Even the mixer is a bit pointless if you want to use the computer software to do things like eq?

Well, two mics into the arms integrated cables, then to the mixer using two xlr cables. Headphone amp connected to the two mixer jacks, headphone amp has the headphones plugged in. The xlr outputs of the mixer to the recorder. The interface needs a signal to get the mixer audio into the computer, so you need some cables rca phono to ¼” jacks would do that, and then two more jack to jack to get computer audio back to the mixer.

This is a faff. If you want no computer, the mixer to recorder works. If you want to do things in the computer forget the recorder. The interface is perfectly workable as the headphone amp would connect direct to it. What are you hoping to do? How do you want to use it? Even the mixer is a bit pointless if you want to use the computer software to do things like eq?
I need to record interviews. I found a few website that gave lists of full setups and this seemed like the best so I went with it. Thank you a lot for your help

Here is a list of what I have currently. I am having trouble figuring out how to connect it all. Could anyone provide some guidance? Also, I have adobe audition
  • Microphones (2) Shure SM7B Dynamic Vocal Microphone
  • Headphones (2) Sennheiser Professional HD 280 PRO Over-Ear Monitoring Headphones
  • Audio recorder (1) Tascam DR-100MKIII Linear PCM Recorder
  • Headphone amplifier (1) Behringer POWERPLAY HA8000 8 Channel High-Power Headphones Mixing and Distribution Amplifier
  • Audio mixer (1) Behringer Xenyx X1222USB Mixer with USB and Effects
  • Audio interface (1) Universal Audio Volt 2 USB Audio Interface
  • Desk mounted microphone stand (2) Gator Frameworks Deluxe Desk-Mounted Broadcast Microphone Boom Stand For Podcasts & Recording, Integrated XLR Cable
  • Cable (2) Amazon Basics 2-Pack XLR Microphone Cable for Speaker or PA System, All Copper Conductors, 6MM PVC Jacket, 10 Foot
  • Cable (1) DISINO 1/4 inch TRS Cable, Heavy Duty 6.35mm Male to Male Stereo Jack Balanced Audio Path Cord Interconnect Cable
SM7b Via XLR - Behringer Xenyx Mains out Via XLR - XLR in to Tascam DR-100MKIII.
Tascam DR-100MKIII. via 1/8 Mini TRS - 1/4 TRS in Behringer POWERPLAY HA8000.

You don’t need the Volt if you are not using a Computer. If using a Computer then you don’t need the Tascam -

SM7b Via XLR - XLR Channels 1 & 2 in Behringer Xenyx Mains out Via XLR - XLR In Universal Audio Volt USB out to the Computer - DAW Software of choice.
Universal Audio Volt Headphone 1/4 TRS - 1/4 TRS in Behringer POWERPLAY HA8000.

Headphones connect like normal - Gator Frameworks Deluxe Desk-Mounted either side of a Table.

Do you have a Treated Room or some kind of Isolated room? If not you will have to be careful not to let the reflective or reverb into the Mics.

If it's interviews, then mics, mixer, headphone amp and recorder will work fine - papanates comment on the room acoustics is probably the most important thing.

Back