Help choosing replacement interface

Thurgood

Ok all folks. Motu Ultralite mk 3 is being returned to vendor as it has issues. Given my experience with this unit and MOTU's poor customer/tech support I am looking elsewhere for a replacement. Suggestions in similar price range and I/O? Yes, I have bleeding eyes from reading inumerable posts about "this is good this bad" on this forum and many others. I turn you because this has been a home to me for a minute or two. My main concerns are reliablity, routing flexibility and last but not least sound quality. Most of my fun does not rely on multiple preamp inputs at one instance, however that option is a plus. My observation is a salt and pepper response about interfaces in the same category. Let me state that I am returning the Motu unit and will receive a credit.

My reading leads me to the following.

RME rules (expensive and out of the price range but with credit not so much) Presonus is a mixed bag. M-Audio meeh.. even though my trusty OLD Delta 44 works like a charm on my older Win xp machine.

Current system:
Athlon x 64, 6 gig ram

Help me out sirs.

Thanks Jim for your reply I was beginning to wonder if there is any love over here as I post most (hehe) on guitars and basses. I really like the motu u-lite feature set and finally got the whole cuemix thing under control but damn the problems with this unit and the poor support and shortage of good information about using this unit on a pc urge me to consider other manufacturers. Looking at the RME 400 but its a bit pricey. I have used one before and loved it. THe u-lite is apprx 600.00 us. RME 1200. I am looking at the presonus firestudio (lots of i/O) or the fire whatit called ....Studio. Similar to the U-lite and a little cheaper. Dunno. Looked at many forums and as you are probably aware opinions vary. Given the curent economy and the possibility of loosing my contract for work in October the prospet of dropping an extra 600 or so $ leaves me in a quandary.

Back