Hardware Limiters

jaynm26

got a question what do you guys mostly limit with comps out the box. I dont see a lot of hardware limiters in the studio, you know to get the final overall level. Do guys just go from the mastering comp or the last hardware unit in the chain back in digital to use digital limiting or...?

Just wondering bout what you guys do...

(Massive found a old post on GS where you said you had a Aphex Limiter but it didnt get much use? So whats your approach now?)

I still mix OTB from the DAW or multi-track tape deck through a console and down to a 2-track tape deck, before running it back into the DAW as a stereo file.
I have a few comp/limiter hardware units. The only pure limiter in my rack is an older AD&R F601-RS. It's more of a broadcast limiter, and it has very high Threshold settings, so you need to hit it hard to engage it even on it's lowest setting, but it's great for just topping off the most extreme peaks, but still have it not mangle your tracks. I've used it on vocals, guitar leads...and occasionally on some other things.

I also have three Overstayer comps, I love these units. I use the FET version often on drums, but the Stereo VCA can also act as Limiter, and that is my go-to unit for running on the stereo bus on my console.

(Massive found a old post on GS where you said you had a Aphex Limiter but it didnt get much use? So whats your approach now?)
The Aphex (it had an evil name of some sort that I can't remember) was a holdover from before I had the (Crane Song) HEDD unit. The AD section, properly calibrated and massaged, has a "magical circuit" of some sort that acts like a "soft" limiter (not unlike G-Clip). Wonderful, amazing (scientifically) and great sounding piece. Even on the occasional project that stays "in the box" for the most part might take a trip to analog-land just to go through the HEDD.

Back