Hammerhead - surf instrumental - have a listen please

So your a drummer first? Dude the drums sound way cool. What set-up you using (mics, plugins, etc...) Im using a sm57 on the snare and the rest is a inexpensive set of Audix mics. Granted mine sound better then when I first started recording. But I still have a long way to go. So give me some drum recording lessons. Here is a pic of my set up. Sonor Force 3007 set.

074.jpg

089.jpg

083.jpg

So your a drummer first? Dude the drums sound way cool. What set-up you using (mics, plugins, etc...) Im using a sm57 on the snare and the rest is a inexpensive set of Audix mics. Granted mine sound better then when I first started recording. But I still have a long way to go. So give me some drum recording lessons. Here is a pic of my set up. Sonor Force 3007 set.

074.jpg

089.jpg

083.jpg
Nice stuff. Um, I don't do anything fancy or special. My mics are relatively cheap and my kit is old and junky. :p Here's some pics:

drums5.jpg

drums1.jpg

drums2-1.jpg

The kit is an old Rogers set from the early 70's. 12, 13, & 16" toms, 22x18" kick, 14x6" snare. Pinstripe heads on the toms, Reverse-Dot Emperor X on the snare, Aquarian super-kick on the bass. With the kit not being so good, I pay very careful attention to tuning. I play live and regularly have my old beat up kit sounding better than other guys' high-dollar stuff. Inexpensive Sabian B8 cymbals. The mics are a CAD-pro 7pc set with SDC O/H's. I don't really like the kick mic, but the rest of the mics seem to be pretty decent. I think I'd rather have LDC O/H's. I close mic everything and run the O/H's via the "recorderman setup". The setup seems to work pretty good with no O/H phasing and a natural stereo image when set up right. The mics run straight into a Firepod and then into Cubase. I don't use any special effects or EQ'ing on the drums. Just some gentle EQ massaging and a little reverb and compression. If you have a tuned kit, know how to play it, and are careful with mic setup and recording levels, the drums will pretty much mix themselves.

I don't particularly think my drum tracks are anything great, but they're okay. My snare sucks, so it's hard to get a good snare track recorded. I've got my eyes on a Mapex Pro-M 6 pc maple kit. That will be my next major purchase. It's just money. :p

Its the room your in. I need to get some office partitions that I can put around the drums when I record and remove when just messin around. I use one of those dial indicators (pressure) to tune the drums. Dont yell at me about that. I dumb when it comes to drums. I just know I got a hell of a deal on the Sonors and the hardware is amazing on that series of drums. Good job on the tune man. You ever check out Gary Hoey's surf music. That guy can play.

Its the room your in. I need to get some office partitions that I can put around the drums when I record and remove when just messin around. I use one of those dial indicators (pressure) to tune the drums. Dont yell at me about that. I dumb when it comes to drums. I just know I got a hell of a deal on the Sonors and the hardware is amazing on that series of drums. Good job on the tune man. You ever check out Gary Hoey's surf music. That guy can play.

I've never heard of him. I'll check him out.

I've never been impressed with those dial drum tuner things. I just go by ear and I just tune the heads to the natural pitch of the shells. I don't get fancy or clever. I just tune them until they "booooonnnnnggggggggggg". Your Sonor kit looks pretty nice. They're great drums as far as I can tell.

Semester One Report on Greg L
SONGWRITING 101

BEAT 100%
RHYTHM 100%
Chord Prog 100%
MELODY 100%
Instrumental Prowess 101%

ASSESSSMENT OUTCOME STATEMENT:
Greg L can write songs.
AREAS for FURTHER DEVELOPMENT
Greg L needs to do this again - soon. Additionally he might, when repeating the process, like to swap some sections of instrumental melody for vocal melody and even subsitute words for sounds on occasion.
Assessed by: Justa Jealousguy

Semester One Report on Greg L
SONGWRITING 101

BEAT 100%
RHYTHM 100%
Chord Prog 100%
MELODY 100%
Instrumental Prowess 101%

ASSESSSMENT OUTCOME STATEMENT:
Greg L can write songs.
AREAS for FURTHER DEVELOPMENT
Greg L needs to do this again - soon. Additionally he might, when repeating the process, like to swap some sections of instrumental melody for vocal melody and even subsitute words for sounds on occasion.
Assessed by: Justa Jealousguy

Lol. Thanks a lot man. :)

I do have a Johnny Thunders/NY Dolls-ish inspired original I'm working on right now, so maybe it'll be done pretty soon. ;)

cool tune!
i'm diggin' the pulp fiction vibe..
seems that the drum track borderlines a sound that hints at punk: sort of the meat puppets, green day and classic surf rock bands like dick dale or the surfaris.

dig the guitar tones...
they hint at the 'purist' tones, but they're still modern.
don't know if that's a real bigsby or not, but you got the bend down.
:D

you got the trem, the verb, the attack and decay of the chords, all of that.

mix is good... drums might be a tad hot, but i still like them. great sound to them...

check this site out!
http://www.surfguitar101.com/

Dude, you're way too modest when you say you can't write music. It's really good stuff. My only nit pick would be the lenght, but that's a personal preference - Surf song longer than 2 minutes get boring. (Your's has a lot going on, and that kinda saves it.)

Recording wise it's where it should be as always.

I actually missed this thread the first time, but was just checking out some of your tunes anyway. I really like the sound of this one. I also really like the cover of the cover of 2000 Man. One of my favorite Stones tunes.

Greg, I love this music.

What guitars/amps are you using here? Is that a strat?
Thanks a lot man. All the guitars on this one are a Strat. I honestly don't know what kind of amp this is. It's an "Acoustic model 123". I can't find any info on it anywhere. It was given to me about 15 years ago and I never got rid of it. It's a SS combo with one 10" speaker. It's always had a really nice and pure clean sound and gets pretty raunchy when overdriven.

cool tune!
i'm diggin' the pulp fiction vibe..
seems that the drum track borderlines a sound that hints at punk: sort of the meat puppets, green day and classic surf rock bands like dick dale or the surfaris.

dig the guitar tones...
they hint at the 'purist' tones, but they're still modern.
don't know if that's a real bigsby or not, but you got the bend down.
:D

you got the trem, the verb, the attack and decay of the chords, all of that.

mix is good... drums might be a tad hot, but i still like them. great sound to them...

check this site out!
http://www.surfguitar101.com/
Thanks a lot bro. Yeah I draw a lot of musical influence from classic punk and surf stuff. The Ramones and The Ventures are always in my car. I guess it's only natural that I'd mix the two. :p

Dude, you're way too modest when you say you can't write music. It's really good stuff. My only nit pick would be the lenght, but that's a personal preference - Surf song longer than 2 minutes get boring. (Your's has a lot going on, and that kinda saves it.)

Recording wise it's where it should be as always.
Thanks Polska. I'm a stickler for song length too, but I didn't even really notice that this one went as long as it did. It just seemed to write itself. I just went with it. I really wanted that little double-time part and the key changes, so I just ran with it. Thanks again. :)

Thanks everybody for listening and giving feedback. I appreciate it. :)

I actually missed this thread the first time, but was just checking out some of your tunes anyway. I really like the sound of this one. I also really like the cover of the cover of 2000 Man. One of my favorite Stones tunes.
Thanks man. I appreciate you checking out my cover stuff. :)

although I've really always wanted a JCM900 stack. ;)
LOL - finally a positive comment about a JCM900. I like mine and it never seems to get any respect. :(

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in and say this was a super tune. Authentic and groovin.....fabulous playing as always!

When looking to write lyrics, try to write something you are familiar with because it should flow quite freely that way......

Congrats on a great original ! :):D:):D

LOL - finally a positive comment about a JCM900. I like mine and it never seems to get any respect. :(

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in and say this was a super tune. Authentic and groovin.....fabulous playing as always!

When looking to write lyrics, try to write something you are familiar with because it should flow quite freely that way......

Congrats on a great original ! :):D:):D
Thanks Ido! :)

Yeah I love JCM800-900's. I don't see why anyone would hate on them, they are probably the most rocking amps on the planet! :p

Totally awesome!
What format was this recorded on?
Reminds me of playing transworld surf! Damn I loved that game.

Back